How do I OC my 2000+
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How do I OC my 2000+

How do I OC my 2000+

I have an xp 2000+, a 450w power supply, and MSI KT3 Ultra ARU board. The power supply is PowerMagic if that means anything. The fan and heatsink are the ones you get in the box when u buy a cpu retail, however sometime in the future i do plan on gettin another.

Smile

I just up the fsb seed to 143mhz and it reads 2200+ I trashed the stock CPU Fan and got a Volcano 7+ It use to idle at 121F now it idles at 107F, not to bad for 34 bucks at Fry's.
    WindowsXP SP1
    AthlonXP 2000+
    Volcano 7+
    GigaByte GA-7VRXP
    WinFast A280 LE TDH TI4200 8X
    512MB Corsair 3200 CL2
    Maxtor 60GIG ATA133
    2 12X10X32X Cendyne
    Linksys BEFSR41 Router

so i wouldnt need to increase the voltage any?

Depends. Not all chips are born equal, you know. Some need more juice than others.
    "In the end, the one with the biggest gun wins."
    - General Custard

what is the normal voltage for a processory of my type? Right now my mobo has the setting set to auto, so I guess it auto detects what is needed? If I need to increase the voltage I'd like to know where I am starting from so that I could increase it accurately and not decrease it.

Check out AMD's website for info on your CPU. (I would do it myself, but my browser just keeps crashing when I go to processors...)

Some mobo's gives a little more voltage than necessary. I believe my MSI K7T Turbo-R adds 0.08v or something.
    "In the end, the one with the biggest gun wins."
    - General Custard

I got a 2000+ too! Pretty good chip for an average OC. Default vcore is 1.75 and you can usually get pretty far with that. I set mine to 1.8v (MBM reads 1.82v) and FSB to 144 for an even 1800 mhz. Bumping up to 1.8 will usually settle any stability concerns, but like raccoon said, not all chips are the same. For some reason these XP's seem not to like too much voltage. Its like the more volts I add the worse it got, on my chip anyway. The least amount of voltage to be rock solid stable, the cooler she'll run.

what about cpu ratio? how does that play into OC'ing. Right now, my vcore and cpu ratio is set to auto. but im going to try your 1.8 coure and 144 fsb and see where it gets me. I also got some software from the mobo manufacturer. I think its called fuzzy logic or pc-cillin. One of the ones that came with my mobo listed below in my sig.

---- update ----

i set my fsb to 140 and my vcore to 8.0. the system booted, than got to the desktop and an error came up stating this
    " System Shuting Down -- [words words words] Shutdown initiated by NT Authority System. C:/Winnt/System32/Services.exe " generated an error and "128" was the error or error code. So i droped fsb down to 139 and kept my vcore the same and it worked fine. I used aida32 and it said that im running 1743 MHz (6.5 x 268). Is the 6.5x268 my cpu ratio? Is that good, bad, improvable, what?
    Last edited by proKrastinate; October 17th, 2002 at 03:16 PM.

You gotta start off slow, dont just jump in at 140 fsb. Fuzzy Logic is crap, I wouldn't even load that. You need Motherboard Monitor, it is more accurate reading temps, voltages, rpm's etc. If you can keep that chip real cool, mid 30s-mid 40s, it should easily do 1750. Try 135 fsb and check temps and stability. Bump it up slowly from there, and you might need more juice to Vcore. CPU ratio is gonna be 12.5 unless you have unlocked the chip, 12.5x133= 1667 Default speed. 12.5x140=1750 and so on, multiplier X FSB = processor speed. But watch out for PCI & AGP speeds, they will also go up on 1/4 multiplier. Unlocking an XP is a lesson in its self. Good Luck

Thread Information