Can I modify AT Case into ATX?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Can I modify AT Case into ATX?

Can I modify AT Case into ATX?

Don't know if this is still worth a project. But I have an AT Case(from a 486-DX4 100) which I am looking into modifying into ATX. Is there still a link available to give the ATX case dimensions and the mobo holes? and AT cases conversion projects into ATX?

Personally, I wouldn't bother. It's way too much hassle. I think the Mobo screw holes are in different places on AT from ATX, the power button is different. The backing plates will probably be in the wrong place too.

ATX cases are pretty cheap anyway, it's not worth doing unless you paid a LOT for the AT case..
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

It is pretty easy actually. Just change the power supply and hook the power button on the motherboard to the reset button on the case front. Most AT cases hove some of the same holes for mounting motherboard, but zip ties might be needed to secure the motherboard the rest of the way and have enough expansion slots. The I/Oshild will not match up, but some AT cases have the plate for the I/O shield, but that was more for the early Pentium systems. The 486 DX4-100Mhz period did overlap this a bit. Mine had lots of PCI slots and a PCI video card with 72 pin SIMMs for memory. If not a jig saw will fix that. Just cut a hole for the plugs and such. It is in the back so it doesn'y have to be pretty.

You might just go down to the local mom and pop store and see if they have some old cases kicking around for $5-10. You can get new cases for pretty cheap on line, but with shipping and a genaric 300+ watt power supply, you are looking at around $50.

A quick look at NewEgg showed a mid tower ATX with 300w PS for $45 after shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...154-004&depa=1

This one for $42 (three differant colors):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...182-006&depa=1

And this one with a 350w PS for $46:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...150-027&depa=1

There are other with 300-350w power supplies for just a little bit more, but to get to a good power supply like an Antec 300w PS or a generaic 400w you will start getting into the $100 range after shipping.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Ditto to CenturionStrategy's response.
    Just not worth the effort...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Also agree it's not worth the effort. I'm certain the same amount of effort would find you a new ATX case for half that $50U.S. at a local shop.
    I've recently come across a couple of AT/ATX cases from the late Pentium I era. They have an AT psu but the case architecture has been made to adapt to either AT or ATX format motherboards. Those are the only ones I'd bother with.

overwhelming no. I'm now making an ad in a swapping section of a local ad-newspaper to swap my AT with a used ATX. If not, I'll buy a used ATX. It's half the price. Thanks 2 'ol...

Like I said it is possible, but it will take some time and tools and the back of the case might not look too pretty, but it is a free mod if you are strapped for cash. I've done it twice now for spare parts computers I made for friends.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Now got a used ATX case. If I were in the US, it cost only $10... he he. Thanks...

Thread Information