Best case modding tool?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Best case modding tool?

Best case modding tool?

I am wondering if anyone out there is using a rotozip for case modding and how well it works. I am in need of a tool for some case modding and am debating between it and a dremmel.
    Abit kn9 sli
    Enermax psu 500W
    amd 64 3800
    2 GB Corsair Ram
    BFG Geforce 7800GT
    2 x 250 Sata on raid

heh...just sometime ago I asked a similiar question...

From what ive gathered, the jig-saw is the one to get if all you want is to cut windows in your casing...youll need a drill to get both to work together...the jig saw cuts windows much faster than a rotary tool...

If cutting drilling buffing wood metal plastic is what ur gona do then you should get the dremmel or similiar tools as these are more versitile but they seems to take forever to get huge windows cut out...and their bits wear out fast too...

Im still considering on which to get now...

Hope this helps...
    P3 700@933 under HHC-001+60-80mm Adapter+TT Duct Mod+Enermax 80mm
    Jetwell 694 AS
    512Mb Kingston PC-133...
    ATI Radeon 8500 275 Mhz...
    Sound Blaster Audigy...
    16X ASUS DVD Rom...
    48x16x48 Samsung 8Mb buffer...
    Maxtor 20Gb...
    IBM 80Gb...
    2 Mbps Cable...
    Hauppage WinTV PCI...
    430W Antec TruePower PSU...

The Roto-Zip tools are much tougher than the Drumel tools and will likely cut much faster, but the jig-saw is still likely the best tool. The only time you mght have trouble is if you are cutting a tight turn (less than 1" radious). A fine toothed metal cutting blade makes nice cuts very quickly. I've used them for cutting off factory grills, hacking an AT case to an ATX, cutting windows and blow holes, and cutting off factory grills. A metal file also helfs to clean off any burs, but sand paper will work too. A drill is nice for drilling holes for fan screws and starter holes for the jig-saw. You can also use a drill for cutting blow holes if you want to buy a hole saw. You usually need a good drill and it is not really worth it unless you are making lots of holes.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

$9.99 Nibbling tool from Radio Shack is a good window/case mod tool. No flying debris, no noise. Lots of patience required, but I like em so much I bought 2.
    dirt rules

Thx for the input. Seems that im even more torn over what to get than i was before. Gonna have to put some more thought into this to decide what ill end up with.
    Abit kn9 sli
    Enermax psu 500W
    amd 64 3800
    2 GB Corsair Ram
    BFG Geforce 7800GT
    2 x 250 Sata on raid

I usually end up borrowing a friends' industrial tin snips to cut odd shapes or chassis fan holes rather than using his Dremel ...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information