Building a small moveable computer
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Building a small moveable computer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    350

    Lightbulb Building a small moveable computer

    I am thinking of building a small rig that I can easiely carry around to friends house and things. Its doesn't have to be anythign super powerful and I would like to keep the cost down. I have seen the Shuttle barebones but don't really want to spend to much.
    So any ideas on Cases etc.
    Thejaronline.com

    ECS K7S5A
    AMD Athlon 1GHz
    512mb PC133 SDRAM
    Sony 48x12x48 CD-RW
    DVD
    Seagate Barracuda 80Gb 7200rpm IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40GB
    Creative 3D Blaster Personal Cinema
    Antec PlusView 1000
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro SP4

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    480
    can't you just get like an aluminum case mid tower...would be light and not that huge
    ASUS A7V333 ATHLON XP 1800+ @ 1533
    VOLCANO 7+
    ATI Radeon 8500LE 128
    16X Pioneer DVD (slot)
    12x10x32 CD-RW Plextor
    512MB PC2700 Samsung DDR SDRAM
    SBLive! Value
    Windows XP Pro

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    530
    Heh you should make one of these...they are awesome!

    I am thinking of building one myself




    extremely portable

    I found it in the [H]ard|Forums
    AMD XP 2500+ Barton @ 2.1GHz(205x10.5 @ 1.65)
    1gb Geil PC3200
    Abit NF-7S v2.0
    SLK-900U w/ 92mm Vantec Tornado screamer
    Saphire Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
    Compro TV Tuner
    CaseTek Super ATX Tower case with Q-Window
    PowMax 400W Blue Power supply
    ---------------------------------
    Dont Click!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    480
    nice that is sick!
    ASUS A7V333 ATHLON XP 1800+ @ 1533
    VOLCANO 7+
    ATI Radeon 8500LE 128
    16X Pioneer DVD (slot)
    12x10x32 CD-RW Plextor
    512MB PC2700 Samsung DDR SDRAM
    SBLive! Value
    Windows XP Pro

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Location
    Grand Haven, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    11,332
    Yah. If performance is not too important and you want REALLY small than you can get one of these:







    It is a real computer. You can pick up the barebones system at Directron for about $370. It's not too bad of a price considering you get a case, power supply, motherboard (i810 chipset), CD-ROM, integrated sound, modem, network, video, 2 USB, infrared, (for connecting to PDAs and such) and all the regular ports (key board, mouse, printer...). You just add laptop hard drive and memory, a Celeron or PIII (up to 133MHz bus, but not the .13 micron Tulitin cores). Add whatever OS and software you want and your good to go.

    A nice wireless keyboard/mouse combo (but not the mini keyboard they used in the picture above) and a 15 LCD with speaker built in would top it off nicely. Directron had the parts to finish it off, but they charge quite a bit for them ,but still I was able to add 128MBH SDRAM, 20GB hard drive, and a PIII 733Mhz CPU and total just over $600. That is not too bad for a computer slightly thicker than a portable CD player. You could easily get the other parts elsewher, like a Celeron 900Mhz ($50), 128MB SDRAM ($20), and a 20GB hard drive ($90). This would set the system at about $530 or so. They also have a version with a CD-R/W for an extra $99. This is a FULL FUNCTIONING computer, just no room for expansion and crappy integrated 3D graphics.

    Just think if they could make this with the nForce2 chipset instead and make it just a little bigger so you could use 2 sticks of DDR and at least one FireWire port. Just think of how handy this would be for editting you pictures off a digital camera or camcorder. You could also store some DVD with DivX and use it as a DVD player with the TV-out. It does not run off batteries. It has a seperate power supply that plugs into the wall. You could even get one of those 5" LCD displayes, some headphones, and a folding keyboard and laptop mouse it you wanted something REALLY SMALL.
    Last edited by Todd a; September 22nd, 2002 at 09:48 AM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

  6. #6
    ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    9,664
    Originally posted by Todd a
    Yah. If performance is not too important and you want REALLY small than you can get one of these:







    It is a real computer. You can pick up the barebones system at Directron for about $370. It's not too bad of a price considering you get a case, power supply, motherboard (i810 chipset), CD-ROM, integrated sound, modem, network, video, 2 USB, infrared, (for connecting to PDAs and such) and all the regular ports (key board, mouse, printer...). You just add laptop hard drive and memory, a Celeron or PIII (up to 133MHz bus, but not the .13 micron Tulitin cores). Add whatever OS and software you want and your good to go.

    A nice wireless keyboard/mouse combo (but not the mini keyboard they used in the picture above) and a 15 LCD with speaker built in would top it off nicely. Directron had the parts to finish it off, but they charge quite a bit for them ,but still I was able to add 128MBH SDRAM, 20GB hard drive, and a PIII 733Mhz CPU and total just over $600. That is not too bad for a computer slightly thicker than a portable CD player. You could easily get the other parts elsewher, like a Celeron 900Mhz ($50), 128MB SDRAM ($20), and a 20GB hard drive ($90). This would set the system at about $530 or so. They also have a version with a CD-R/W for an extra $99. This is a FULL FUNCTIONING computer, just no room for expansion and crappy integrated 3D graphics.

    Just think if they could make this with the nForce2 chipset instead and make it just a little bigger so you could use 2 sticks of DDR and at least one FireWire port. Just think of how handy this would be for editting you pictures off a digital camera or camcorder. You could also store some DVD with DivX and use it as a DVD player with the TV-out. It does not run off batteries. It has a seperate power supply that plugs into the wall. You could even get one of those 5" LCD displayes, some headphones, and a folding keyboard and laptop mouse it you wanted something REALLY SMALL.
    They have these with a 815ep chipset too that are compatible with tualatins.

    http://www.cappuccinopc.com/default.asp

    http://www.enpc.com/cgi-bin/enpc/sca...ml?id=5uqecHVQ

    I would say the best option if you are going to OC with one of these, LOL. Would be to get a 1Ghz cel-t and up the FSB to 133fsb by means of the BSEL pins! Then knock the vcore down to ~1.3v! This could be achievable though easier now through the new tB1 stepping tualatins!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    259
    You could get one of those Desknote made my ECS. "ECS Desknote - supp. AMD Athlon XP 2200+, Up to 1Gb DDR PC2100 Memory, 8XDVD, XGA TFT-LCD; 64Mb DDR Video TV OUT IEEE1394/4USB(2.0);56K Modem with LAN & DVD Drive + ONLINE CONFIGURATOR. " It can be had for under $1000.
    Epox 8RDA+ (Rev 1.2 w/ C1 Stepping)
    XP 1700+ TBred B (OC'ed 2450 MHz)
    SLK-800(A), Enermax 350W
    Buffalo Technology PC3200, 256MB X 2
    ATI Radeon 9500 Modded to 9700 Pro
    WDC 120 GB (8MB Cache)
    Sony Trinitron 19" & KDS 17" TFT LCD
    Logitech iFeel Optical Mouse

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,466

    Re: Building a small moveable computer

    Originally posted by Chegs
    I am thinking of building a small rig that I can easiely carry around to friends house and things. Its doesn't have to be anythign super powerful and I would like to keep the cost down. I have seen the Shuttle barebones but don't really want to spend to much.
    So any ideas on Cases etc.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=32019

    Just bought something similar for my sister's PC. Pretty small, not incredibly well-made but does the job. Put a handle on the top and it's very easy to carry round. We managed to put together an entire system including a 15" TFT monitor for her for 450.

    I can think of many other suggestions but you said "keep the cost down".

    MuFu.

    P.S. Edit - had a little here about people not looking at the location of someone first before posting "this is X $'s here..." etc. Edited it out, because I don't grumble much and am not about to start right now. Guess I am just a *****, hehe...
    Last edited by MuFu; September 23rd, 2002 at 07:51 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,466
    This would be small enough too...



    AOpen HQ85B
    43 at dabs.com

    MuFu.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,466
    There's no pic, but www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk have something that probably looks like this...



    Yeong Yang Micro ATX Desktop / Mini Tower.
    58 with free delivery.



    Cheiftec Flex Net Micro NLX.
    49 from http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?a...GrpID=999&s=pl

    http://www.microdirect.co.uk have a few mATX cases under 50 too. I'd double check with some of them - the one we got from ebuyer seems to be able to accomodate a full-sized ATX mobo. For a system I guess you'd be looking at something like...

    mATX FCPGA2/Socket A mobo
    Cel-T or Duron 1.2GHz@perhaps more
    256MB PC133
    Radeon 9000
    etc...

    You might be able to add an entry-level 15" TFT to that and keep the whole lot under 500, like I said. That would be pretty portable.

    MuFu.
    Last edited by MuFu; September 23rd, 2002 at 08:29 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    us
    Posts
    1,411
    just get an eden board or one of those shutte boards that are in the barebones....you could u could then put a computer in almost anything

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Location
    Grand Haven, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    11,332
    Thats just cool ol' man. They even added 2 FireWire ports and upped the max memory to 512MB. They got a FULLY loaded one at your link fo $1200. Admittedly that is a bit pricy, but it comes with a PIII 1.2Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 40GB hard drive and a DVD/CD-R/W combo drive. I just wish it had a better graphics system.

    nForce2 were are you?

    This is not a REALY serious option unless you have some money to waste. A standard MicroATX or FlexATX aluminum case would do fine, but most of these have really small power supplies. Even a nice aluminum mid-tower would not be too bad.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

  13. #13
    ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    9,664
    Originally posted by Todd a
    Thats just cool ol' man. They even added 2 FireWire ports and upped the max memory to 512MB. They got a FULLY loaded one at your link fo $1200. Admittedly that is a bit pricy, but it comes with a PIII 1.2Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 40GB hard drive and a DVD/CD-R/W combo drive. I just wish it had a better graphics system.

    nForce2 were are you?

    This is not a REALY serious option unless you have some money to waste. A standard MicroATX or FlexATX aluminum case would do fine, but most of these have really small power supplies. Even a nice aluminum mid-tower would not be too bad.
    They don't have it any more but you can buy a barebones setup direct from the main manufacturer of those cappuchino's I think and through your own components in it. That site used to have the 815e barebone for around $400. You supply HD, CPU, ram and cdrom I think! Not bad as you could easily pick all of them up for a really good price. I would through a 1GHz cel-t($50) in it and tinker with the BSEL pins to get a 1.33GHz chip out of it. Ram is minimal for sodimms. Pretty cheap if you know where to look and a 40gb HD is a bit OVERKILL! A 10~20gb would suffice for me! That would be at most another $350~$450 for the HD, ram,cd burner,CPU.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nashville, TN, USA
    Posts
    24
    Have you considered the Shuttle SS51G? It's about as big as a shoebox and highly portable. It uses an Intel chipset, but they make a box for AMD. Here is a link:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02...815/index.html

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02...710/index.html

    I just bought one. It hasn't arrived yet. I'm expecting it in about 2 weeks. I ordered it from ABS computers.

    Specs: 2.53 Ghz P4
    512 Mb Kingston DDR RAM
    GF 4 (4200) (could have ordered the GF4 4600)
    40x CD burner
    80 Gb WD SE HD (could have orderd bigger)

    Built in:
    10/100 ethernet
    5.1 sound
    4 - USB 2.0 ports
    3 - Firewire ports.

    Has 1 - 4X AGP slot and 1 PCI slot.

    Check it out and let me know what you think! All the reviews have been extremly positive!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Location
    Grand Haven, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    11,332
    Actually they make a pretty good box for Athlons. The P4 version is better and they have not released the Athlon version with the AGP slot. That should be coming soon. The new heatpipe and case cooling they use should work just fine for an AthlonXP 2600+, but I really wouldn't recommend the old version for the Athlons because the heatsink lacked the heatpipe and the case was cooled with a 60mm fan. The new design uses a nice heatpipe to pull the heat off the heatsink to a radiator tipe heatsink on the back of the case that uses an 80mm fan to cool the radiator and the case at the same time. This is MUCH better cooling.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •