PCI slot intake fan??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PCI slot intake fan??

PCI slot intake fan??

I've seen the system blowers, in fact I have one sitting under my video card that works pretty well. I'm interested in finding one that that is an intake fan rather than a blower. Is there anything out there? I have seen the slot coolers that have two little fans on the end, I'm thinking they can't help a whole let, but if they do let me know.
    XP 1600 AGOIA @ 170 FSB 1.65V
    SLK-800 42C @ full load
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2
    256 Mushkin DDR 333
    Radeon LE
    Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM
    2 x 12 GB Seagate 5400
    CD/DVD/CD-R/ZIP/etc....

Silly question.... Blower... backwards=intake fan?

so you are saying that there is a way to reverse the blowers? i'm not talking about regular fans, i'm talking about the slot blowers that fit in a pci slot.
    XP 1600 AGOIA @ 170 FSB 1.65V
    SLK-800 42C @ full load
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2
    256 Mushkin DDR 333
    Radeon LE
    Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM
    2 x 12 GB Seagate 5400
    CD/DVD/CD-R/ZIP/etc....

if you are currently using a pci-slot extract i wouldn't suggest placing a blower close by in the same machine. the main reason for this is that the best way to treat heat in cases is globally - a single strategy for cooling rather a lot of localised stuff.

many people prefer to bring cool air in the front at the bottom and extract it at the rear, high up. this is a natural flow [heat rising and all].

in bigger cases you might have more extracts than intakes across the rear of the machine to deal with the heat. i wouldn't recomend short-circuiting the cooling strategy with local blowers close to the extracts
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

Thumbs down

so you are saying that there is a way to reverse the blowers? i'm not talking about regular fans, i'm talking about the slot blowers that fit in a pci slot.
    a PCI fan is a vacuum motor. you cant flip it upside down for suction like a regular fan. making the motor spin backwards wont work either.

the only thing you can do is screw the motor into the backplane adapter backwards so the fan assembly is on the outside of the case blowing in. this is usually unfeasible because the bracket mounting on the fans i know of are irreversible. even if it was reversible, you wouldnt be able to slide the bracket into the case because the fan wont fit through the slot opening.

just use a regular case fan

Thread Information