what program checks how hot my computer is?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: what program checks how hot my computer is?

what program checks how hot my computer is?

what good programs wil lshow me how hot my system and processor is?

Motherboard Monitor is pretty good. You can grab 5.2.0.0 here:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

ok, im not sure which temps these are for exactly, but im getting 51c and 56c on a amd 1800+xp with a volcano 7 heatsink. no additional fans in the case. im thinking this is running a bit hot. the fan is already loud and irritating. are these temps ok?

You definitely should add a fan to the back of the case to help the circulation. What are those temperatures, motherboard and CPU? If the one reading is the motherboard, then you are running the inside WAY too hot! An XP1700 on a V7 should be running in the mid 40s at the most.

i think the 56c is the cpu temp. how much louder would adding a fan be? cuz my roommate is gonna kill me next year if it gets any louder. its already running at 5000 rpms. and reviews said the volcano 7 runs silently, so i dont think so. are there any fans for the back of the case that are quiet? would having the side panels of the case open help reduce the heat?
    Last edited by RoastedPNuts; September 2nd, 2002 at 11:31 PM.

The Volcano 7 uses a variable speed fan hocked to a temp sensor on the heatsink. The hotter your case gets, the faster the fan runs. If you add a few low RPM fans that are pretty quite, it will likely make the Volcano 7 run a little quieter. Now likely that second temp sensor is your Northbridge and it usually runs a few degrees hotter than the actual case temps. Your case temps should be about 2-5'C above room temp.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Noise level due to addition of chassis fan(s) would vary depending on the chassis in use.

Generally,
    Most members here have at least one intake chassis fan and one exhaust chassis fan along with the usual fan(s) on the mobo and PSU...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Originally posted by RoastedPNuts
    i think the 56c is the cpu temp. how much louder would adding a fan be? cuz my roommate is gonna kill me next year if it gets any louder. its already running at 5000 rpms. and reviews said the volcano 7 runs silently, so i dont think so. are there any fans for the back of the case that are quiet? would having the side panels of the case open help reduce the heat?
    put a 120mm fan on the back and wire to for 5 volts. Here's a guide
    http://www.subzeropc.com/article/fantail.htm

Running at 5 volts compared to the normal 12 volts is a night-and-day difference in sound.

If you're not overclocking you might also want to try removing the fan from your heatsink and putting a 80mm fan @ 5 volts on instead.

for more info on making hot computers run cool and silent try
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/
    or the silent-pc mailing list
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Silent-PC/

I second what hassi said -- check out that website. I just bought a Panaflo (80mm lower speed fan) and it's essentially silent at 12V . You have to begin thinking of the system as a whole. The blessing of the pc (as opposed to a Mac, for example) is that it's so modular. And that's also become its curse. As every part has become faster and hotter, each component maker has responded by the brute force method -- blow more air on it or through it. Bigger, faster fans have meant more noise.

C:/what

taking the side panel off wont help. your case fans are designed with the side panel in mind.....it has a certain air flow it needs to follow.

PC Alert III......all your basic monitoring stuff. warns if gets too hot. doesnt take up hardly any resources
    Last edited by sickroachman; September 11th, 2002 at 08:32 PM.

Thread Information