Ramr: How's "Whiteout" Unlocking Holding Up?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Ramr: How's "Whiteout" Unlocking Holding Up?

Hybrid View

Ramr: How's "Whiteout" Unlocking Holding Up?

Hi Ramr: After reading so much re unlocking, your method still appeals, especially with all the multipliers you achieved, 10-15X. I want the higher ones too, and was wondering if your original unlock is holding up ok, had to redo, etc?

Have to admit MF makes it sound pretty easy too, but can't remember what multis he got.

I'm currently running my locked 1600+ at 1.75v, 36C, 1575MHZ, 150 x 10.5, CAS2 - very stable. (Can run up to 156 or so at CAS3, but CAS2 sweeter.) Love it as is, but the bug is biting.

Appreciate your results!

EDIT: Others, here is link to this method:

http://forum.xibase.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4661
    Last edited by xroyal; September 7th, 2002 at 12:22 PM.

Hey, I'm not ramr, but I did do the white out trick on my 1700+. It's been running fine with every mult my mobo supports for about 2 months now. No reapplication with on again off again heatsink replacement. Hope that helps answer your question!
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Thanks. I believe Ramr did his in early July, so you've had about = running time.

Darn it, every time I think about unlocking I read about a slew of ruined CPUs. No doubt I'll give a shot before long.

Thanks again.

Unlocking it is pretty easy as long as you have a steady hand. I unlocked my 2nd 1600+ chip in about 15 mins (most of the waiting time was for the white out and conductive paint to dry). Just make sure you don't get the conductive paint over the triangle or the "L1" as both of these are grounding points! I've been running my 1st XP unlocked since May w/o a problem. One thing I would do is once you get it unlocked and checked to make sure everything is working OK, stick a pice of tape over it and you should be good to go. Good Luck.
    Epox 8RDA+ (Rev 1.2 w/ C1 Stepping)
    XP 1700+ TBred B (OC'ed 2450 MHz)
    SLK-800(A), Enermax 350W
    Buffalo Technology PC3200, 256MB X 2
    ATI Radeon 9500 Modded to 9700 Pro
    WDC 120 GB (8MB Cache)
    Sony Trinitron 19" & KDS 17" TFT LCD
    Logitech iFeel Optical Mouse

Preston: Thanks for that good report. Did you use the method in the above link to xibase? Seems like THG's method of taping off each set of bridges (after whiteout application/drying) before painting conductive stuff makes sense.

Yes, had read that important point on not touching those other elements.

Have read not to use the gold colored liquid in the defogger kit - use other (red?) one. Someone else suggested to thin the conductive paint with acetone. Did you need to? Did you use ordinary "scotch" tape to cover final job?
    Last edited by xroyal; September 8th, 2002 at 09:45 PM.

I unlocked my XP using the white out/defogger kit method. I used the orangish colored defogger crap b/c thats the only thing that came with the kit.

So far so good, Ive been runnin it about a week without any problems
    AMD XP 2500+ Barton @ 2.1GHz(205x10.5 @ 1.65)
    1gb Geil PC3200
    Abit NF-7S v2.0
    SLK-900U w/ 92mm Vantec Tornado screamer
    Saphire Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
    Compro TV Tuner
    CaseTek Super ATX Tower case with Q-Window
    PowMax 400W Blue Power supply
    ---------------------------------
    Dont Click!

For the record, I am happy to see that you guys are using my thread at XIBASE.....
    My system has been up and running since I first unlocked it.. and I have unlocked 2 more, (both XP1600) with no problems at all
    AMD Opteron 146 @ 2907MHz
    Abit AN8 NF4 Mobo
    XFX 7800GTX (486\1400)
    2 GB CORSAIR XMS PC3200
    2x 160 gig WD (sata raid-0)
    Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink
    Antec Super LanBoy Case
    Antec 550w TruePowerII
    ViewSonic 19" LCD Widescreen

Kruz - The Man. Thanks for all the work, and your thread. Wonder if you have any comment about the questions I posted most lately above?

Thanks Again!

Yes things can go wrong, My first attempt resulted in a fried 1800+. But I was using superglue and that cause most of my problems. the only way to get it off was to scrape it off, and this is not a good thing to do around your contacts. I flaked off the brown covering of the cpu in one spot and some conductive paint leaked onto that, it must've been a grounding point too cause all I got was a buzzing sound and a funny smell.

With white out, nail polish remover actually DOES take everything off so you can start from scratch. That's why I liked that method much much better. Good luck!
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

I have had no problems with using the gold colored defogger paint... And using the same process I have repaired a mother board that I trashed by slipping with a screwdriver when installing a heatsink... severed 3 circuit lines near the cpu socket.. used the defogger paint to re-connect the lines... and it worked
    AMD Opteron 146 @ 2907MHz
    Abit AN8 NF4 Mobo
    XFX 7800GTX (486\1400)
    2 GB CORSAIR XMS PC3200
    2x 160 gig WD (sata raid-0)
    Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink
    Antec Super LanBoy Case
    Antec 550w TruePowerII
    ViewSonic 19" LCD Widescreen

Kruz: Thanks.

Seems some defogger kits come with 2 liquids, and saw question elsewhere re which to use.

Did you need to thin paint?

Did you need to cover your final unlock with tape (type?) to preserve?

I had my 1800+ unlocked for about 2 months with no problems whatsoever. I used the defogger repair kit also. Orange colored liquid I believe, if theres a difference. I sold my 1800+ to a co-worker and he's using it now...still unlocked.

Seemed to have worked fairly well!

Still debating whether or not to unlock this AGOGA 1900+ I just got two days ago...

I'd recommend covering up the job with tape for sure. I just used plain ol' scotch tape and it worked fine. Still holding up good.
    Last edited by venom650_19; September 11th, 2002 at 11:52 AM.
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    Athlon64 3000+ @2.5Ghz(Venice)
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's
    21" Gateway Widescreen LCD
    22" Gateway Widescreen LCD

Thread Information