Need ASIII Epoxy type substance! Dries in micro minutes?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need ASIII Epoxy type substance! Dries in micro minutes?

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone

Need ASIII Epoxy type substance! Dries in micro minutes?

Today i made a new fandangled HS and I needed to attach something onto it kinda permanently! Being the investigative guy I am I added ASIII to super glue (with swirling and mixing) and came up with a compound similar to epoxy but dries/hardens much quicker and sticks very well with the consisency of superglue!

I know some people put super glue at the edges and ASIII is the middle but I needed something really strong! THIS WAS IT! IT dires in a matter of like 30 seconds though so you gota get on it and compress the two items together! Pretty amazing I must say!

But the super glue is detrimental to the effectiveness of ASIII
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

Originally posted by wetling
    But the super glue is detrimental to the effectiveness of ASIII
    You think?

Tell me then what is the thermal conductivity of silicone oil versus super glue?

Silicone oil in ASIII and Cyanoacrylic polymer in super glue?

Basically the mix was 1/3 super glue and 2/3 ASIII. It formed a compound similar to what you find under GPU heatsinks but since it is a silver based product I would have to confer that it is much better!

Tell me also what is the difference in thermal conductivity between super glue( a cyanoacrylic polymer) and epoxy?

ASIII epoxy is only ASIII and epoxy mixed together or some constituents mainly silver mixed in epoxy!

I doubt there is much difference. The main thing is getting the bond very thin. The thinner the better. Super glue can get very thin and with ASIII mixed its thermal conductivity is going to increase most likely greatly! Anyway so far it it working like a charm on in my application!

Re: Need ASIII Epoxy type substance! Dries in micro minutes?

Originally posted by ol' man
    Today i made a new fandangled HS and I needed to attach something onto it kinda permanently! Being the investigative guy I am I added ASIII to super glue (with swirling and mixing) and came up with a compound similar to epoxy but dries/hardens much quicker and sticks very well with the consisency of superglue!

Keep a close eye on it. It appears to be sticking alright, but might not handle thermal cycling too well.

Superglue works on different principal than epoxy. I don't think they alter thermal conductivity characteristic whole a lot of if you have plenty of silver in it. I haven't tried it though.

Ethyl cyanoacrylate polymerizes catalyzed by small amount of water. High tensile strengh, but very hard and can shatter.

Epoxy polymerizes between reactions of two parts without any outside chemicals.
    My web machine
    ~Econobox 60W~
    Power consumption at the plug while web browsing: 60W
    It's very quiet.

Intel D815EEA2 Desktop board
    Intel Celeron 1.0A @ 1.0GHz w/ Intel Fan
    ATI Xpert98 8MB AGP 2x videocard
    Sound Blaster PCI 128 soundcard
    WD 40GB ATA100 7200RPM HDD (8.4GB 5400RPM ATA33 circa 1999 Maxtor decommissioned and eBay'd off)
    384MB PC100 (3 x 128MB)
    40x12x48 BTC CD-RW
    300W Enlight PSU
    100% normal looking case. Certified free of fruity, sad looking, PC rice mods.

I have mixed Super Glue with lots of things over the years with work with models. It tends to granulate quite a bit when mixed and the compound tends to deteriorate over time and almost crumble. I usually mixed it with a modeling puddy, but found it did similar things with paints, fillers, arisals and such. Super Glue is also an insolator not the best at thermal transfer. I'd say bonding the edges is safer to keep the Super Glue up to its full bonding strength and give the AS3 the the best possible thermal transfer. Use thin layers of both and only seal in two edges, not all the way around. This really works good. I have used this many times on GPUs, Northbridges and memory chips.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Re: Re: Need ASIII Epoxy type substance! Dries in micro minutes?

Originally posted by Jerboi

Keep a close eye on it. It appears to be sticking alright, but might not handle thermal cycling too well.

Superglue works on different principal than epoxy. I don't think they alter thermal conductivity characteristic whole a lot of if you have plenty of silver in it. I haven't tried it though.

Ethyl cyanoacrylate polymerizes catalyzed by small amount of water. High tensile strengh, but very hard and can shatter.

Epoxy polymerizes between reactions of two parts without any outside chemicals. [/B]
    The silicone oil in the ASIII catalyzed the reaction and it got hard instantly to form a very very slightly pliable substrate!

I tried the same thing first with the old style Zinc Thermal paste and it did granulate and not work well but the ASIII did not granulate at all but instead disolved perfectly into the super glue forming a silver colored compound that when dry resembled solder! It is interesting and I would really like to know what kind of polymer this produced! This compound does not have much if any properties of super glue or ASIII!

Todd,

You mention that super glue is a good insulator! Well so is epoxy! One thing you must remember though is that the ASIII is mixed in such a way and spread very thin as to cause little problems and have very good thermal throughput! Also would liek to point out that the item in which this compound was used is sandwidched between two other flat plates!

Yes but can you spread this thicker concoction as thinly as befor. Not only it the thermal resistance likely higher do to the Super Glue, but it is also likely going to be thinker.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Originally posted by Todd a
    Yes but can you spread this thicker concoction as thinly as befor. Not only it the thermal resistance likely higher do to the Super Glue, but it is also likely going to be thinker.
    Put it this way. The app that I am using this for allowed me to measure the thickness. It is as thin as any asIII application.

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    I've never seen so many !'s in one post.
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

If you can keep it thin and get pressure on it befor it starts to harden, then It sould work OK. I just preffer the old way with the Super Glue allong the edge (or dots on two corners of ram sinks). Less fussy and no mixing needed.

Thread Information