Recycle those retail Intel HS's! Radeon 8500 GPU and 815e chipset HS oversizing!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Recycle those retail Intel HS's! Radeon 8500 GPU and 815e chipset HS oversizing!

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone

Recycle those retail Intel HS's! Radeon 8500 GPU and 815e chipset HS oversizing!

I just got a Radeon 8500LE. The stock fan was loud so i pulled the HS off it and attached a PIII Tualatin HS which is over sized pretty well to the Radeon! It worked great and I proceeded to OC. The max I could hit was 320MHz. I Well I got 9750 3dmarks with it @ 1.7GHz/162fsb/1.65v GPU/MEM @ 321/321 1.87v/3.3v.

In my process of OC'n this setup I found though that I could not hit 162fsb for a little while and then noticed I did not put my chipset HS back on! So from here I realized that maybe I should put a oversized HS on the chipset also! So on the chipset I put a celeron tualatin HS and once again it worked very well!

For these I simply drilled and tapped the HS for a very small size screw aligned with the holes on the mobo and gpu mobo.

For the gpu mobo I have a 60mm very thin fan very low watt spinning with 12v. It is from a apple computer At 320/320 it keeps the radeon very cool apparently and it is silent.

At 1.4GHz and radeon @ 300/300 I still get 8400 3dmarks!

Surprisingy I can up the speed of the cpu to 1.7GHz and still keep the HS fan @ 6v. Between 12v and 6v the temp differences are around like 5 deg. C!

Yes I also did lap the radeon IHS.

Here is a odd one. I can hit 320MHz/285MHz GPU/MEM with my fiances Radeon 7500 with the hs fan unplugged. WHen plugged in I doubt it does any good. If I remember right before this is about the limit I could hit before anyway!

What's scary is that I thought of doing the same thing to my 8500LE.

It doesn't really matter though, because the loudest thing in my tower is my hard drive. Guess that will be the next thing I "upgrade."

Originally posted by ThreeOnTheTree
    What's scary is that I thought of doing the same thing to my 8500LE.

It doesn't really matter though, because the loudest thing in my tower is my hard drive. Guess that will be the next thing I "upgrade."
    I had to mod the GPU mobo by moving a cap to the back side to fit the tualatin HS on it but the thing still works great! The Radeon 8500LE has a copper cap underneith their crappy HS!

Haha I removed the pencil traces and and now at default vcore and mem voltage I can run my core/ memory at 310/310! This is after the Tualatin HS mod. System still runs quieter than a Intel PII 233MHz Gateway 2000!

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    I have an Alpha Pal 1U heatsink w/ copper base mounted on my Radeon 8500 with a Delta 60mm fan!

Don't know why, I run it at stock settings most of the time.

Oh... did I mention the four (yes, 4) globalwin 40mm HSF's (yes, with fans) cooling the memory? And that runs stock speed most of the time too.

Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

I did this to my 8500LE. Well, the cooling at least. No vmods yet. Can't get the core too high, and I don't think my chip is undervolted RAM can hit 320MHz though. 315MHz pretty solid. As soon as I can run out to RadioShack, I will get the necessary resistors along with all the other crap I have to get still for various PC-related projects.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I have even LARGER ramsinks than they use in that review (two AMD retail heatsinks diced into half, one covers 2 chips at a time). I have a low-RPM 92mm fan on the core side. I also trimmed the fins down on the copper orb considerably. The card looks damn sweet when there's no fan on it because the sinks are silver with gold in the middle of the gpu. Looks like a silver and gold flower

I'm hitting 10k with Radeon8500LE 64mb at stock 8500 speeds (275/275) with a 1.87GHz AthlonXP and 187MHz FSB with Samsung set at 2.0-2-5-2-4way-8QW-1T on my KT3 Ultra. Using Win2k SP3 and latest catalysts...

I wonder what my 8500 will be able to pull with my Cel-T 1.1A on my BE6-II Bought dave_B's Cel-T 1.1A. Says it will run 1.5 no problems with intel stock sink, so that not too shabby I will be attempting to use my peltier/wc rig, which was able to cool a 92watt AthlonXP to 20*C max load. ol' man what is the formula (and default variables) to figure out what the wattage will be of my Cel-T at different voltages/speeds?
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53B C1 @2.85GHz (stock volts), watercooled @ 27*C load
    MSI 865PE Neo2-P (i865PE + ICH5), 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon X700Pro 256MB AGP8x
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA, Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB
    NEC DVD-RW (ND-3520A), Lite-On 52/32/52x CD-RW (LTR-52327S)
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

My Heatware | My Beerology | My eBay rating

Thread Information