over clocking help???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: over clocking help???

over clocking help???

hey my computer is getting old and kinda slow and i want to overclock it so i can get the best out of what it has left. i have a duron 800 on a asus a7v with the defualt bios and a voodoo5 5500 agp with the defualt bios. can someone tell me how to install a new bios for my mobo and video card, and where to get a new bios for my voodoo?? also can you tell me how i can safely overclock my cpu and video card without having to add extra cooling. also i read somewhere that the voodoo5 can run in 4x agp, is that true? i thought you could only run it in 2x, if you can run it in 4x agp could someone let me know how?? oh yeah i run windows xp with 128mbs of ram, also does anyone know a good program that will tell me my cpu and mobo temp without going into my bios?

You don't need a new bios for your A7V- it natively supports overclocking Couldn't hurt, though- you can download it off Asus's website. I think they're up to 1.09 or 1.10 by now. What you really need to do is unlock your Duron- take it out, and carefully reconnect the four L1 bridges with a graphite pencil. After that, you can set whatever multiplier you want! I had my Duron 650 running at 850, but the later generation of Duron chips usually topped out about 1-1.1GHz. You'll probably have to get a better HSF, as the stock cheap ones aren't sufficient.

After that, use the jumpers on the board to set the multiplier. You can lease FSB and voltage in jumper-free mode and change them with BIOS, though.

And if all else fails, toss in a faster Athlon- they're getting pretty cheap by now

Good luck!
    Last edited by grover; August 25th, 2002 at 09:30 PM.
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Thread Information