DVI to old Laptop display?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: DVI to old Laptop display?

DVI to old Laptop display?

Do you know how to convert from a DVI out to an old laptop display? or do you know any other forum that might be able to anwser my question?

Welcome to HWC.

Well, laptop displays these days generally use a signalling protocol called LVDS (low voltage differential signalling - related to the TMDS used in DVI output). Older displays use a variety of different standards.

So assume it is LVDS, then you need a DVI to LVDS converter (essentially TMDS to LVDS). The only devicess I've seen that do such a thing are extremely expensive multipurpose units such as SGI's Multilink boxes - they are about $600! I haven't come a cross a standalone device designed for this purpose but imagine they would be extremely expensive also. Could be wrong - transforming one digital signal into another should just require a DSP of some sort.

MuFu.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Thread Information