Opening Dell Inspiron 3000 case
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Opening Dell Inspiron 3000 case

Question Opening Dell Inspiron 3000 case

Hello all,

I am an electronics technician at the University of Texas. A client's older Dell Inspiron 3000 has died; only the battery/keyboard LCD panel shows any life. I figure the problem is either the power converter (maybe fixable) or the main board (time for the trash heap!) I'd like to open the case and find out which it is.

I've got all the screws out that I can find, but now I'm up against an army of snap-together fingers and maybe some other weirdo assembly techniques. I'm afraid of breaking something I've missed, and I know there has to be a secret to getting these things open cleanly.

Does anyone know the correct technique for opening the case?

Thanks,
    Ryan

if you have the keyboard out there is a slightly concealed screw on the right hand side about half way up. going towards the cpu. The LCD screen has two hidden screws on the right hand side. Just ensure when reassembling all 3 LCD cables are connected.

Hope this helps. Has been a long time since I have dismanted one so may not be perfect. Have fun though with the 40 odd screws

Keyboard?

Hmm... how do you remove the keyboard? It looks like you have to open the case first...

Perhaps this is a different version of the Inspiron 3000 - this one is an Inspiron 3000 M266XT, model #TS30H...

The keyboard is supported by four or five screws that go through to the underneath. There should be a small screw driver grove or two at the front or on the side of the keyboard to allow gentle persuasion of the key borad out of the case. It sort of clips in.

One other thing ensure you cable the touch pad back correctly, it may be a case of trial and error but the cable used to go in in either dirrection

Thread Information