is Operation Flashpoint a "true" FPS?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: is Operation Flashpoint a "true" FPS?

is Operation Flashpoint a "true" FPS?

I can't believe I didn't play this game before.

I thought it was one of those "strategy" Rainbow Six type games, so I completely skipped on it, but now reading some old reviews...I guess it is a true First-Person-Shooter....is it?

and is it worth getting?

Thanks!
    Last edited by zoom; July 26th, 2002 at 03:49 PM.

Yes, it's true first person, but it just annoyed me at every turn and I never bothered to even finish the first mission- too many other games out there just like it that I'd rather be playing.
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

It's true first-person, but it's a very specific kind of game. In particular:

- The foliage sucks. The atmosphere comes from the missions, not the pretty pictures.
    - The pace is slow. You can quite easily find yourself crawling through a forest for 10-20 minutes in places. It's not an action fest.
    - You get killed really easily if someone hits you.
    - Ordering people around can be kinda irritating at times.

Personally I really liked playing it, but it's by no means for everyone. Get the demo before you buy it.

thanks guys.

I think I will get the demo first. read some pretty good reviews on the game, but I said, I'm not really into that "intelligent type" FPS where game-play is slow and you have to plan too much.

Operation Flashpoint is a great game... I have to admit that i got the demo and thought it sucked, but then i bought it anyway and have never regretted it. As Tuttle said the foliage graphics weren't the greatest, but with the new expansion its sposed to make it better than it was.
    The pace was slow for most levels, like avoiding patrols and crawling in the darkness to survive the mission. Its VERY realistic in my view. It can be a case of one hit one kill, but you usually get one hit to injure you first (depends where you get hit), so its not a quake3 or UT type game.
    That said, i loved it... well worth the money!

Thread Information