OpenGL
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: OpenGL

OpenGL

Did Microsoft invent opengl or are they trying to take it over to push there d3d to the top?? I read where they are claiming opengl rights.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left!!!!!

OpenGL was created by SGI (that's Sillicon Graphics), and it has been here way before stupid d3d.
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Here's a snippet from the SGI OpenGL web site.

SGI - OpenGL: Home Page

The OpenGL® API began as an initiative by SGI to create a single, vendor-independent API for the development of 2D and 3D graphics applications. Prior to the introduction of OpenGL, many hardware vendors had different graphics libraries. This situation made it expensive for software developers to support versions of their applications on multiple hardware platforms, and it made porting of applications from one hardware platform to another very time-consuming and difficult. SGI saw the lack of a standard graphics API as an inhibitor to the growth of the 3D marketplace and decided to lead an industry group in creating such a standard.

The result of this work was the OpenGL API, which was largely based on earlier work on the SGI® IRIS GLTM library. The OpenGL API began as a specification, then SGI produced a sample implementation that hardware vendors could use to develop OpenGL drivers for their hardware. The sample implementation has been released under an open source license (see http://oss.sgi.com).

Modifications to the OpenGL API are made through the OpenGL Architecture Review Board, an industry group that contains founding, permanent, and auxiliary members. The current version of the OpenGL API is 1.3.
    Software developers do not need to license OpenGL to use it in their applications. They can simply link to a library provided by a hardware vendor. Hardware vendors do need to have a license to create an OpenGL implementation for their hardware. Details on licensing are available from the Technical Info page.

Heres why i ask...this from rage3d site

Microsoft claims rights to Opengl - 10:15 pm EST - raptora12
    In a rather odd move by Microsoft, the company has stated that it owns the rights to the popular 3D API known as OpenGL. OpenGL remains as a very popular API for many modern games, including the new Doom III.

"Microsoft clarified its claims somewhat at this month's quarterly ARB meeting, according to the meeting's minutes, but its proposals still appear likely to throw a wrench in the works of OpenGL, according to legal experts. At the July meeting, Microsoft also added that it may have claims to a technology called fragment shading."

go here for the whole story:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-943111.html
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left!!!!!

zdnet.com.com ????????

that must be a joke dude, the page is on a different domain.

Last edited by Luis G; July 15th, 2002 at 04:17 AM.
    OTCentral

I would have hoped so Luis G

It seems to be real though, I ran a search at www.zdnet.com for "Microsoft claim shakes graphics world" and that article was the result.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2118968,00.html

http://www.theregus.com/content/4/25549.html

These are not the most credible sources but it seems like it could be true.
    now that my specs are respectable, I might as well list them again:

2500+ Barton @ 2346mhz, Swiftech MC462a/80mm Sanyo Denki fan
    Abit NF7-S v 2.0
    2x256 Ocz PC3500 DDR
    128 mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Lian-Li PC-68 case
    Enermax 431 watt PS
    blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

yes, unfortunately, yesterday i tried www.com.com and it brought me to the cnet,zdnet homepage.

so are they claiming intellectual propery on vertex shaders.....

what if sgi sues MS for using texturing in d3d?
    OTCentral

This is going to get ridiculous. OpenGL is much better than D3D, M$ should just accept that and make D3D better.

Mulletron
    Athlon XP 1600+@1470(10.5x140)
    512MB PC 2100
    2x 40GB IBM 60GXP
    Epox Mobo
    Geforce3ti200@225/485
    Audigy
    WinXP/RedHat 8

Cel-t 1.2 @ 1.6
    384MB SDRAM
    80GB Seagate Barracuda IV
    120GB Seagate Barracuda V
    Soltek SL-65KV2-CT
    Geforce2mx @ 200/200
    Win2K sp2(note sp3 has a dodgey license)

Microsoft is just being a bully. By taking OpenGL, they will own all the 3D APIs.

Another thing is we all know that M$ hates linux. By taking OpenGL, they would have taken the only 3D API that supports linux. If that happens, it will no longer be called OpenGL since it won't be cross platform.

Microsoft, your day will come!!

Man! MS taking over OpenGL? That freaks me out. I guess MS couldn't take the fact that OpenGL performance is much better than D3D ...........

Intel Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz
    Intel D845WN mobo
    ATI 9100 @ stock speed
    Sound Blaster Live! Value

I hate to think that developers could be forced to exclusively use an inferior and inefficient API. I read once that Microsoft's API introduces more neat-O retina-popping visual stuff at a more rapid pace than OpenGL development, but when similar games run at half the speed, what have you really gained?

Thread Information