Best Radeon Tweaker
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Radeon Tweaker

Question Best Radeon Tweaker

What are your throughts about the best tweaker for a Radeon 8500 (retail). It seems most people are using the rage3d tweak, but I see a few others out there.

Also, I thought I had seen some posts talking about a bios update for the 8500, but didn't find it anywhere. Is there one, and do I want to bother?

Recommendations?

Thanks!

J

Rage3D Tweak, without a doubt. Radeonator is also quite good.

Don't flash the BIOS unless you have a problem. The reason that it's been talked about recently quite a bit is that there's a BIOS out now (7.006 I think) which appears to fix stability problems that people have been having with certain motherboards for months. Their are some other very small improvements (mainly regarding IQ) that can be had by flashing your BIOS to a later version, but it's not worth the hassle, IMO. You can also flash an edited BIOS to rasie the default clockspeeds of your card (e.g. to 300/300MHz) or to toggle the ouput between NTSC/PAL. I would only do this if I had done a permanent voltage/cooling modification to the card.

Incidentally, the ATi cards that will be launched on July 17th-20th (RV250 and R300) will be able to toggle between PAL/NTSC formats using a DIPswitch.

MuFu.
    Last edited by MuFu; July 7th, 2002 at 04:41 PM.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Tweakin'!

Thanks for the advice.

Rage3d is a great tweaker, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something else out there.

MitchSchaft Guest
    You have any info on flashing the bios, MF? I've been having stability issues ever since I got this 8500. Latest drivers as well.

Originally posted by MitchSchaft
    You have any info on flashing the bios, MF? I've been having stability issues ever since I got this 8500. Latest drivers as well.
    Not a Gigabyte Socket A DDR or Epox 8KHA mobo is it? They are the two main "problem mobos".

Try here for BIOS's and info: http://lradunovic.tripod.com/radeon8500/id6.html

As for what they do; I have no idea, although 7.006 was a bit of a breakthrough for some people in terms of stability.

Don't hose your card, bud.

MuFu.

MitchSchaft Guest
    I've flashed my nVidia's bios a few times. Besides,it's still under warranty!I run a VP6 mobo.

MitchSchaft Guest
    I just downloaded 7006. It's the only one for the 128MB version, so I guess it's right. I read the .txt and it looks easier to flash than the nVidia except I'm supposed to uninstall the drivers first. I'll let you know how it goes in about 15 min. I'm gonna go ahead and install those beta drivers as well for the hell of it.

MitchSchaft Guest
    Well, I followed the instructions to the T using the 7006 bios. Proceded to reboot and the bastard isn't coming back up. The screen is blank. WTF??

MitchSchaft Guest
    I'm about to read through this thread. http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...bios+flash+fix

Hope it helps!

MitchSchaft Guest
    Has anyone had this problem before? I'm still waiting for my pci vid card. I can't find it.

GARG!

Have you tried flashing back the original BIOS?

MuFu.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Red face

As far as I'm concerned, that 7008 BIOS sucks. I flashed my Radeon 8500LE 64MB 250/275 card with it, and I still have a picture, but I can't reinstall drivers. Even though I did remove them before I flashed the BIOS. It says the drivers are not compatible with my card anymore. Looks like I have to flash back to either the old BIOS (which I don't have on this computer at the moment) or I'll try the 7006 BIOS off of that site as well. First I have to find a working floppy drive in my room somewhere and make another disk to flash the 7006. If that doesn't work, I'll just wait til tomorrow to flash the original back on

Sorry Mitch. But at least you're not the only one having problems with flashing these BIOSes
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53B C1 @2.85GHz (stock volts), watercooled @ 27*C load
    MSI 865PE Neo2-P (i865PE + ICH5), 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon X700Pro 256MB AGP8x
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA, Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB
    NEC DVD-RW (ND-3520A), Lite-On 52/32/52x CD-RW (LTR-52327S)
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

My Heatware | My Beerology | My eBay rating

MitchSchaft Guest
    Have you tried flashing back the original BIOS?
    Can't do that if it doesn't even make it to POST. I'm waiting on a pci vid card to try and flash it.

K, well I fixed my system's problems. All it took was a reflash using a 7006. I've discovered that my card, the 250/275 version off of newegg with 3.3ns RAM ships with the 7005 BIOS.

I realized I skipped a minor detail that ended up being very important. When I saved the original BIOS from my card, it was 52.0kB. The 7008 that I flashed to was 64.0kB and didn't work properly. However, the 7006 BIOS is 52.0kB and works flawlessly. I can now run my resolutions and color depths normally again with my drivers installed properly! My advice would be to check the two file sizes against each other to make sure they are the same.

Also Mitch, you may want to check out this thread over at Rage3D. It has some information on the 128mb 8500LE and the 7008 BIOS. http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33623100

They also mention "blind flashing"...does that mean you don't need a PCI card? It's a bit late here (1AM) and I have cross country camp tomorrow morning, so I'm gonna get goin'! Good luck man!
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53B C1 @2.85GHz (stock volts), watercooled @ 27*C load
    MSI 865PE Neo2-P (i865PE + ICH5), 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon X700Pro 256MB AGP8x
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA, Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB
    NEC DVD-RW (ND-3520A), Lite-On 52/32/52x CD-RW (LTR-52327S)
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

My Heatware | My Beerology | My eBay rating

Originally posted by MitchSchaft

Can't do that if it doesn't even make it to POST. I'm waiting on a pci vid card to try and flash it.
    Good point, although I am aware of the "blind flashing" method DC mentions too.

MuFu.

Thread Information