Capturing in MPEG 2 format with a ATI Wonder VE, problems.........
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Capturing in MPEG 2 format with a ATI Wonder VE, problems.........

Capturing in MPEG 2 format with a ATI Wonder VE, problems.........

ATI still can't produce a driver to save their life obviously. I can't even capture in mpeg 2 format with the TV Wonder VE, even though it officially supports it. Anybody have any ideas on what codecs, drivers or programs I can use so I can capture in Mpeg 2 format with a TV Wonder VE? I can capture AVI and MPEG fine. I tried the ATI program and Power VCR II and both will display the source while in MPEG 2 format but when I capture it either crashes or when I play it back, I get no picture.

Yes, all of the ATI drivers are installed and correctly.

Damn I went here;

http://www.moonlight.co.il/download/...dl=mpeg2player

It must have installed some codec I needed because now I can capture and playback MPEG2 files fine. Weird, I happened to find that site right after I posted this thread.

It captures it to MPEG1/2, but it does not have the license to PLAY MPEG. Download WinDVD and install it. Then Windows Media Player and ATI File Player will play the MPEG files just fine. It through me for a loop there too when I first got it. Also if you have WindowsXP, just dump the MPEG file into Windows Movie Maker, edit out the commertials and convert it to whatever level of WMV you want. For most basic stuff like Junkyard Wars and BattleBots, I record it in VCD format (MPEG1) and convert it to HQ (3 hunder something kilo baud rate). In VCD I can fit a 1 hour show into 600MB. This fits on a CD fine, but in WMV I can fit about 5 hours at about the same quality (115MB without commercials for a 1 hour program). You might get better results starting with DVD quality in the ATI recorder (640x480 at 30FPS MPEG-2), then converting to WMV HQ (320x280 at 30FPS or higher).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Todd, funny you mentioned 640x480 because I don't see the option to capture in that size at all. I see 640x240 which is a joke. How do you capture at 640x480?

If I try 640x480 in PowerVCR II it reverts to 320x240. I figured it was a card limitation. I also have PowerDVD.

For editing I use Adobe Premiere 6.
    Last edited by netdude; July 12th, 2002 at 12:39 AM.

Sorry, yes 640x240 or something stupid like that. Didn't look closely. I pretty much have just been recording my Junkyard Wars and BattleBots. Everything else I download of KaZaA (Men in Black II, Scooby-Doo, Star Wars Episode 2, Spirit, Lilo and Stitch... plus bunches of DVDs). I really like being about to shrink it down to 115MB per episode.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Yeah, oh well. I like 640x480 in case I want to watch it on my T.V.. Live and learn.

Thread Information