AGKGA stepping...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AGKGA stepping...

AGKGA stepping...

The stepping on my 1800+ is AGKGA...anyone know if this is a good overclocker? Anyone had a lot of luck with it?

I unlocked it once, and it worked beautifully! Now it's working, but only stock multiplier. Reason unkown, bridges still look in perfect condition. Redoing it right now...
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    Athlon64 3000+ @2.5Ghz(Venice)
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's
    21" Gateway Widescreen LCD
    22" Gateway Widescreen LCD

Exclamation

I just re-unlocked the multipliers and everything seems to be working ok. kinda strange though, my 13x is my 12.5, and 14x is 5. Whatever Anyway, I got it to boot up at (12.5x133), but it just wasnt stable enough, crashing out of 3DMark2001SE within about 20sec. of benching. I lowered the multiplier to 12 and kicked it to 142FSB...nothing, 141...nothing, 140...booted all the way up to the Windows98 screen before it actually gets to the desktop then came up with a registry error screen and informed me that windows has fixed the error in the registry(thanks Microsoft ). 139...booted all the way to the desktop without any errors. Since the registry error was"fixed", it erased all the drivers for all my hardware. This includes my RAID drivers, Ti4600 drivers, ATI TV Tuner drivers...I mean everything Is this normal when playing around with overclocking trying to find a stable speed? Has anything happened to you guys/girls out there like this? I assumed that it was just a normal thing...

I have my computer set at 12x139 right now for a speed of 1668MHz. Which is a little better than the stock 1533. Although i achieved a stable OC to 1633MHz by simply changing the FSB. That was using the stock multplier, which is in my specs below.

Makes me wonder why I even wanted to unlock this in the first place???

Not sure if I want to try insane FSB speeds with a low multiplier or not. What do you guys think? Would it be too hard on my IDE and PCI devices? I have no 1/5 divider.

Please give me some feedback!!!
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

Can overclocking hose my system?

YES

What O/S are you running??
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

Windows98SE...everything I listed is nothing makor right? Just normal stuff? i should just reinstall all my drivers and everything should be ok right?

This has happened before from overclocking, but I just reinstalled everything and it was A-ok
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

How do you determine exactly what is holding you back from further overclocking. Whether it is type of memory, power supply, or anything else?
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

Before you go to all that trouble, try this...

Everytime you "Cold Boot" your PC windows saves the registry. It saves up to 5 days previous and you can restore that registry version, so long as you haven't changed any major system info.
    Cold boot the PC and hold either F8 or L-Ctrl down during boot up and you should get a choice screen, choose 'Command Prompt only' normally option 5
    now type in 'SCANREG/RESTORE' (enter)
    You then get a list of registry dates that have been saved. Highlight the appropriate date and then enter or R to restore to that state
    Hopefully you will not require the above but it's worth remembering, as it can save you reformating.
    If you get the failed message, It will still use the version It had before it just means something Important in the registry information has change that means the older registry won't work. It doesn't work every time but believe me, it really does help when a driver has messed something up.
    Remember, that settings you have changed after the registry date you are backing up to will be reset to that registry date and time. good luck.
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

venom650_19, i've dealt with 1700+ and 1800+ chips with that stepping, common oc was 1.6-1.67GHz, good luck!
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

you could always check the CPU/overclocking database at www.overclockers.com

Your right Justintime , I'm sitting at 1668MHz(12x139) right now and "seems" stable. I was hoping that this chip would go to at least 1700Mhz or more. This is kinda pathetic. Oh well! Didnt know what I was looking for when I bought this chip 3 months ago anyway. I'm thinking about getting ahold of an AGOGA 1900+, but not too sure yet. I really want to build another system... Maybe with an Assus A7V333 mobo, with Crucial PC2700DDR and the AGOGA chip.

Must hold back...not worth the money spent, since the Hammer is just around the corner. I want to get this running as fast as possible!

Maxout , thanks for tip, I'm sure I'll find that useful quite often! I'm working on my A+ certification, and I hope to come across things like that to make life easier. It's a long road ahead, but must keep learning...everything just changes so fast! To think... a year and a half ago I didnt know anything!

Thanx for the help guys!
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

Whenever I start playing with overclocking\driver changes\etc.. I do a full Norton Ghost backup.. that way if something goes wrong I can be right back where I started in about 15mins...
    AMD Opteron 146 @ 2907MHz
    Abit AN8 NF4 Mobo
    XFX 7800GTX (486\1400)
    2 GB CORSAIR XMS PC3200
    2x 160 gig WD (sata raid-0)
    Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink
    Antec Super LanBoy Case
    Antec 550w TruePowerII
    ViewSonic 19" LCD Widescreen

If you don't trust the Windows registry backup, you could always open regedit manually and export the entire registry to a file (do this before overclocking anything, obviously). That way you can boot to safe mode and restore your saved registry if you fubar it through overclocking. Make sure you didn't disable scanreg from within msconfig, otherwise Windows doesn't do the automated backups. For hardcore overclocking, you might want to try a WinNT based OS like Win2000 or WinXP as they seem to handle high speeds better. But some have had better luck win Win98... You'll find that most of the best overclocks on any processor (Intel or AMD) have been done in a WinNT based OS.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

I have an AGKGA 1600+. I can run at 1.67GHz with 1.83v, but its not the most stable. Can't run 3dmark or prime95 . However, I run at 1.61GHz (11.5x140) with 1.83v, and its stable as a rock no matter how many times I run 3dmark or anything else. I've been considering going watercooling, but I think 1.61GHz is enough for me for now. My next upgrades are to DDR and a new super-quiet Seagate Barracuda, since my WD 15.3gb is the only thing making noise now that my 7200RPM DragonOrb3 is running at 5v, 3000RPM. Its inaudible and still keeps temps below 38*C under normal usage
    Last edited by DuronClocker; July 13th, 2002 at 01:38 PM.
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53B C1 @2.85GHz (stock volts), watercooled @ 27*C load
    MSI 865PE Neo2-P (i865PE + ICH5), 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon X700Pro 256MB AGP8x
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA, Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB
    NEC DVD-RW (ND-3520A), Lite-On 52/32/52x CD-RW (LTR-52327S)
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

My Heatware | My Beerology | My eBay rating

Seagate Barracuda's are nice. I got the 60GB Barracuda IV disk, since my IBM 60GXP had a spak-attack. It is quieter than my IBM disk for sure. If only I didn't have my PC case on the table, I guess I would hardly hear a thing from it.

Oh, and get this, my old IBM 60GXP does work fine when upside down. Anyone ever had that? I realised this after ordering the Barracuda, so the 60GXP has gone in my old system, upside down of course Thanks IBM, for making such a retarded drive. Maybe it was because I ran it for more than 8 hours a day

Thread Information