Coolermaster DP5-7H53F or DP5-6I31C-A1
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Coolermaster DP5-7H53F or DP5-6I31C-A1

Coolermaster DP5-7H53F or DP5-6I31C-A1

I would like to know how efficient the following Coolermaster heatsink combos are:

DP5-7H53F
    DP5-6I31C-A1

I am also looking at the HCC-002, but cost is a major consideration at the moment, and this model is about three times the cost of the first two, at least at the vendor where I usually buy my parts.

I am looking for something that provides sufficient cooling with a quiet noise level.

Have you tried either of these, and are they any good?

I am looking to upgrade my Athlon Thunderbird 1.1 ghz to either an Athlon XP 1600+, 1700+, 1800+ or a Duron 1.3 ghz.

I have an ECS K7S5A motherboard, which can handle all of the above processors.

Thanks,
    Kim

Until someone with those HSF responds,
    Coolermaster webpage at the following, LINK
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

You have a ThermoEngine right now, huh? I doubt either one of those will improve on it; it was the best heatsink you could buy for ages and now it's still a pretty good performer.

Most of the cheaper Cooler Master heatsinks are pretty mediocre. I just did a build using the DP5-6H51 and actually found the noise level pretty offensive for a low-output fan. Cooling was ok though; still not up to ThermoEngine levels (have one in a PC here).

What I have done is get an 80>>>60mm fan adapter and put low noise 80mm fan (Evercool) on this ThermoEngine. It holds this Duron 800@1045MHz (1.85V) under 42C most of the time.

MuFu.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Thank for posting the Coolermaster link, but I've been there. It was very thoughtful of you though.

Thanks,
    Kimi

MuFu,

I had the ThermoEngine on it until about 30 minutes ago. I thought I'd try one more time to get my Dragon Orb 3 back on, and I managed it (that clip is a real bear!). My temp is now running at 41-43C, but it sounds like a jet engine (it's the 7000rpm model).

I do remember before when I used it, if I ran the power off of the motherboard, instead of using the 4 pin convertor, the sound was a bit quieter. The only reason I didn't this time is because the manufacturer recommends running it off the 4 pin convertor as it may damage the fan sensor on the motherboard. I've read this elsewhere too, although the one place I saw it mentioned also said that they have not received nor read of any reports of this actually happening. I'm about ~~> <~~ this close to running off the 3 pin on the mb just to lose a little bit of the noise. <VBG>

I loved your idea of modifying the ThermoEngine with a larger fan. I'll definitely look into that one. Where did you get your 60 to 80 mm convertor?

Thanks again,
    Kim

Well, I'm the UK so got mine from here, but there are plenty of places in the States that have them, such as Plycon. They are about $5-10.

As for quiet 80mm fans, Papst are really the best, but are very expensive. Panaflo, Vantec and Evercool all make good, cheap 80mm low noise fans.

MuFu.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

I saw an 80 to 60 mm adapter in CompUSA the other day. I was suprized to see the stuff they had in stock.

I have the 7H53F model. 70x70 fan rated at 4300RPM. Now running XP1600+@1800+, 38-48C (78F in this room in the afternoon). Bios and extra utility shows it running average 4700RPM, connected to fan header.

Question: When I had this on K7T Turbo (plain) w/950@1100 Duron was quiet as heck. Now have it on K7T Turbo2 w/o-c 1800+ and seems a lot louder. One difference in the setup is I'm using square 12v plug for CPU power. Could this be overvolting the fan and making it louder?

Also, I have a Sparkle PS with (I think) a temp controlled fan. Could this be cranking harder/louder to compensate for the XP chip and temps? My voltages seem excellent.

Really appreciate some thoughts/relief!

Re above: Here's a weird one. I just put the case side back on for the first time in months, and all of a sudden the 4300 spec fan is spiking @4960RPM vs 4750 side off. (Both bios and PC Alert).???

How close is the case side to the top of the fan? If it is fairly close you will get an increase in RPM. Same thing happens if you put your hand over the top of a fan; you get negative air pressure between your hand and the fan causing it to "cavitate" slightly.

MuFu.

Thanks Mutha. It's about 4" from case side to top of CPU fan. Has spiked around 5050 on 4300 spec fan. Unusual?

I'm running about 43C CPU and 24C sys on 1600+@1800+, now with side on. Room temp about 20C (nice cool morning). Expect CPU will be close to 50C late in the day. How does that sound?

Sure is a lot louder than when I ran my Duron 950, same HS&F. Plugged in my case fan, and that adds too many Db for me.

Any chance of burning out a newish ball bearing CPU fan running 20% over spec?

I decided against the Coolmaster, and I'm sticking with my ThermoEngine for now.

I just ordered two Duron 1.2's for 2 of our machines (hubby needed an upgrade too, and the price of the 2 1.2 Durons was about equal to one of the Athlon XP's I was looking at). I'm hoping the Durons run a bit cooler than my old 1.1 ghz Thunderbird. I know that the two Durons we have now (a 750 and an 800) both run MUCH cooler than the T-Bird, but with the slower speed, that stands to reason. I'm not sure how hot the newer Durons run, but I would tend to guess at least a *little* cooler than the T-Bird.

The bad news is that the T-Bird finally up and died last night. It had been running overly hot (around 57-60C) for the last week or two, no matter what heatsink/fan I tried on it (and yes, I used heatsink compound and was very careful with each install). The T-Bird never used to run that hot, and I noticed the big jump in temps even before I started trying different heatsink/fans on it. Maybe all of the fussing with it contributed to its downfall, or maybe it was already on its way out anyway. I don't know. I did put a Duron 750 in my system for the meantime, until the new CPUs arrive.

Kim

Thread Information