How hot does a Duron 1.2 ghz run?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How hot does a Duron 1.2 ghz run?

How hot does a Duron 1.2 ghz run?

I just purchased two Duron 1.2 ghz and am waiting for them to be delivered. I previously ran a 1.1 ghz Thunderbird, as well as a Duron 800. I found the T-Bird to run pretty hot (and recently, REALLY hot), and my Duron runs relatively cool.

What are the expected temperatures on the Duron 1.2?

I am planning on sticking with my Thermosonic ThermoEngine to use with the Duron, as it's quiet, and is rated up to an Athlon 1.7. The Duron 1.2 is also on the list of the CPUs that the ThermoEngine can handle. I do know that my T-Bird ran pretty well with the ThermoEngine until the last couple of weeks. Although I tried larger (and louder) heatsinks to remedy the temp problem, my T-Bird up and died last night. The Duron is the replacement for that.

So what temps can I reasonably expect for the Duron 1.2?

Thanks,
    Kim

quite possible that your cpu overheated/burnt due to the sink being shifted, how much hotter did it get? Morgan Durons (1GHz+) generally should run cooler than T birds/spitfire Durons due to it being based on the cooler XP core.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Justin,

That thought did cross my mind. It's possible that if it shifted, the compound in turn got redistrubed, and might have left a gap allowing contact between the CPU and the heatsink. I don't know for sure. I do know we were very careful in placing the heatsink on the CPU (with the compound) each time we tried a different heatsink. It's definitely a possibility though.

I don't know how much hotter the CPU got, as I never was able to boot into Windows and check Motherboard Monitor. Upon the 2nd try, I should have tried to get into CMOS to check the temp there, but since my system froze upon initial bootup (the 2nd time), I immediately shut down my computer. I know that enough time elapsed to cause damage to the CPU, allowing it to overheat. It was certainly disappointing, as I always try to take every precaution that I'm supposed to. Even so, bad things can happen...as they evidently did here.

Hopefully it didn't cause any further damage, other than to the CPU. All the other hardware on my system seems to be running just fine, with the Duron 750. I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the info on the newer Durons. I love AMD stuff (I used to be an avid Intel user), but I can't say I like the higher temps of the AMD products. Otherwise, I'm all for AMD.

Kim

yes, thats one thing i hate about AMD, though the cpus cope well with heat, they do burn fast if contact is lost.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Sorry for your loss... I myself have caused the untimely death of a 750 Duron, a 1.2 Tbird, 2 1.4 Tbirds and chipped my current Duron . Life as a CPU here is tough and only the strong survive.
    dirt rules

Crane,

Thanks. At least I feel a bit better now. <VBG>

Kim

Glad to be of service.
    dirt rules

Thread Information