Passive Cooling
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Passive Cooling

Hybrid View

Passive Cooling

I tried to passively cool a 500 mHz k6-2 with the heatsink of a setup that was supposed to cool up to 1.4 gHz when the fan is on the heatsink and some arctic silver 2, but I watched the temp in the bios for about 30 minutes and it went up.....and up.....and up..... AND UP...... to about 66 C at which point the bios alarms went haywire and I shut it off. Now if I'm not mistaken, this setup shoulda worked, and I know that I had the heatsink on right. What gives?????

it don't work like that, heat still saturates the sink, you gotta get the vcore a good way down to reduce alot of heat and a kickass sink to passively cool to remain stable, i've passively cool Athlon XPs with like 1.3V and Alpha PAL 8045 sinks and temps still hit 55C loaded.
    What sink? if its a budget 1.4 sink its likely over rated already
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

do you have any case fans either? that could help alot.(still might not work though)

No other fans and this is an old case (AT - beige: you all remember them !) so that doesn't help at all. I was just playing around and now, thnx to you guys, I know how to do it. Thanx alot.

Just because a heatsink is rated for 1.4Ghz, does not make it good. You need a heatsink with lots of surface area. This means lots of big fins. Also you likely will need to spread the fins out to help them disapate the heat to the air. If you have at least one fan in the case to pull hot air out (PS fan), you might make it work. Just make sure you clean out all the dust. Rip the PS apart and clean it and the fan out. If this is an old case, the amount of dust will be scarry. Route all cables out of the way. What little airflow you have you want un-interupted. You might also cut a vent in the case it it does not have any good vent in it. Even removing the plates covering the extra expansion slots would likely help.

As for the heatsink, you might try something like this:

This is the Zalman CNPS6000. It comes with a fan to suspend over teh heatsink and a speed controller for the fan. This heatsink is likely to work better than most and should fit on most socket7 motherboards.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

too bad that heatsink probaly cost as much as the whole socket 7 setup is worth. but i guess if passive cooling is that important to ya that might ba a very good one.

Thread Information