What's it take to cool a PIII slot 1 933?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What's it take to cool a PIII slot 1 933?

What's it take to cool a PIII slot 1 933?

Hello to all,

I've posted this to some other forums, but hopefully this site can provide some insight as well. I recently purchased an Intel PIII 933 slot 1 cpu from Ebay. It came used with a 30 day warranty and a heatsink, but no fan. The retailer claims the heatsink should have been sufficent to cool the cpu, but that's not the case. I've had a computer shop remove the heatsink and place a Thermaltake Golden Orb fan on the CPU, but still not enough cooling. It's reaching over 91 degrees F with the fan and needs to be underclocked to 700 in order for temperature to remain stable and cool at around 44F. Should that fan be sufficent to cool and possibly be installed incorrectly and that's the reason for the high temp? I'm not sure if I have room in my case for a smaller fan to be attached to the original heatsink. I'm running out of options as my warranty is wittling away and I'm scheduled for a trip to Mexico in a day or two.

Any help is appreciated.

Okay, just the heatsink itself isn't enough to cool that processor. You definitely need a fan!

I don't know what 91F is but that chip should be idling at about 38C and should max out at 48C.

The Golden Orb you have should help that chip run a little cooler. Did you see them install the heatsink on the processor? They should've put thermal grease between the CPU slug and the heatsink itself. The Orb's might come with a thermal pad but it's better to use an ultra thin layer of thermal grease instead!

Let us know what's going on and we'll help you out as best as we can.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hi Toolbox,

Thanks for the response. I've been doing a little searching on the internet and I'm more confused now then before in terms of a proper temperature setting for the cpu. I've visited the Intel site

http://www.intel.com/support/process...ii/thermal.htm

and it gives a number of Max temperature readouts to consider. I believe in my case, the PIII 933 SECC2 has a max core temp of 75 C. Is this correct? It also shows a fan inlet temp of 45 C. I'm not sure which one is suppose to reference the amount I'm reading from my BIOS guage.

Anyways, quick question for ya. In your opinion, should the Golden Orb on it's own be sufficient to cool the CPU? I'm still trying to determine if the tech guy might have installed it incorrectly. I believe he mentioned that he used paste instead of the Arctic Silver that I provided him with.

The Golden Orb should be enough to cool your processor! The stock heatsink won't do as well as that, I'm sure.

Arctic Silver is definitely the best thing to use! Don't let anyone else tell you any different...

As for those readings that Intel provides, those are maximum temps before the processor fails. Keeping it under 50C is better to prolong the life of the chip and give you a little piece of mind.

Good luck and please feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like! We are all in here to help you out.

Good night for me for now... (I'm on the otherside of the world and it's 3:11AM for me!)
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Although it is not quite the same comparison, I used a Golden Orb
    on a Athlon Slot A 600 and worked great. I also think you may be referring to 44 degrees celciius. I am currently running a TBird at 1 ghz and even in my hot muggy room it is only running at 50 degrees celcius which is 122 fahrenheit. Your temps sound fine to me. Unless I misunderstood you, I wouldn't worry about your current temps.

Jeff
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS
    Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 60GB
    1 GB OCZ PC3200
    Leadtek GeForce 6600GT
    Echo Gina
    HP Deskjet 5150
    Optiquest Q95 19"
    Windows XP Home

Called the store yesterday to confirm whether the temperature readouts were in Celesius or Fahrenhiet, and they told me Celsius, so I was wrong and the temp at 94 C is way too high. Now the question is why is it running so high with the fan blowing right on the CPU.

94C and stable? wow! you're very sure of this??
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

I'm not sure if I've confused you, (I know I've confused myself on this issue ), but it's running way too hot at over 90 C. For a while I thought maybe the computer guys had it wrong and were confusing Celsius with Fahrenheit. Nope, it's been running hot way too long. I don't know what to do at this point. It seems like the fan is having no effect whatsoever, and with every computer store's policy of no exchange/no refund, I can't afford to keep buying fans/heatsinks and then finding out they won't do the job.

I'm sorry, I misread your first post. I guess it pays to read it very carefully . Anyway, are you sure it is running at 91c. I mean, I can't believe it is even running stable at that temp. That is very hot! Was this temp verified by the computer shop or the bios reading? If this temperatre is accurate, I have no idea why it is so high, because the Golden Orb should be plenty for at least decent performance. Hopefully, somebody else can guide you on this one. Good Luck.

Jeff
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS
    Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 60GB
    1 GB OCZ PC3200
    Leadtek GeForce 6600GT
    Echo Gina
    HP Deskjet 5150
    Optiquest Q95 19"
    Windows XP Home

I don't want to put you down here but 91C is way too hot and it's nearly impossible that your computer is running stable at that temperature.

This brings me to believe that those readings are definitely in Fahrenheit!

There must be a way to double check!

I have to agree with toolbox. at 91C your processor would've cause a small fire in your case. I believe that your processor is actually at 91F which is actually pretty good. That's only about 34c. I think you have a non-problem
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Yeah, that P3 would have burned up at that temp let alone run stable. I'm guessing your temps are in Fahrenheit like others have suggested. A P3 933 doesn't put out that much heat. They are relatively easy to cool. Nothing like the the processors of today, P4/Athlon. I have a P3 750 in slot form with the default cooler. I run it at 878 at default voltage. I don't think it hardly breaks 100F. I know that the chipset runs hotter. If your machine is up and running and working than I'm guessing you are fine. Pop the side of the case off and touch the heatsink and feel how warm it it. I'm guessing it's mildly warm and that your chip is running more than fine with that golden orb!

yea, i am quite sure it has to be F never seen any processor run stable that hot!
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Thread Information