PC vs Console!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC vs Console!

PC vs Console!

This is a continuation of the age-old arguement: Which is better? - PC gaming or Console gaming?

I'm much in the PC camp with this arguement myself, but if anyone disagrees, please feel free to post your remarks!

My main arguements are:

* With PC gaming, there's much more depth and flexibility with your games - you can add patches, updates, and even edit your own code!

* The graphics on PC games are almost always better than comparable games on console platforms.

Let's get it on!

------------------
    --Stringy_2000--

<< The only true wisdom consists of knowing that you know nothing! >>
    --Stringy_2000--

Absolutely true.

DarkT3

------------------
    P3 800 133mhz
    Asus CUSL2-C 256mb 133
    15.3 Maxtor 7200 ATA100
    DVD 5X Samsung
    Cd-Rw 12x8x32
    Voodoo5 Agp
    Sb live Value
    Win98se
    Asus P5Q
    Intel core 2 Duo 3ghz 1333 fsb 6mb L2 cache
    OCZ Gold XTC 4GB DDR2-1066
    Asus ati3870 512mb pci express 16
    80Gig Hd Sata
    Vista Home premium

Same here. However, consoles seem to attract games that I wish were available for PC!! With consoles manufacturers also make more $$$, so that's an enticement.

------------------
    Tbird XP 1700
    WBK38 w/Sanyo Denko 92MM fan
    Asus A7V133
    256PC133
    Quantum 7200 ATA-100 20GB
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB
    SB Live MP3+ 5.1
    Creative Annihilator 2 GeForce2 GTS 32MB
    I Love SucksBox
    XP 1700
    Asus A7V133 rev7
    256PC133
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB
    SB Live MP3+ 5.1
    CTX 21"

yeah games like taht bond game for the game cube. intruiging game. wish it was on pc
    Get busy Living or get busy Dying - Tim Robbins, Shawshank Redemption

When you understand the root, you understand all of its blossoming - Bruce Lee

I'm not gonna start another huge war again I definitely understand and respect anyone who prefers the PC, but I prefer consoles in many respects.

1) More games and better variety. Just go to your local store and see how many racks of PC games there are and how many console games. For example the XBox has over 70 games in its first 6 months of existence. That is more than any other console ever and certainly more than PC. And furthermore, I have played probably 85% of them and enjoyed almost all.

2) I think the graphics are better because of two things. The games are designed to utilize the full power of the hardware whereas PC developers need to design games with years of backwards compatability in mind. Just play any sports game on your PC at 1600x1200 w/ everything turned on and then play the same game on an XBox and you will definitely see the true brilliance of console graphics. Also playing a console on an HDTV at 1080i resolution is breathtaking.

3) Multiplayer. You can't have multiplayer on PC games unless you want to cram friends at the keyboard or attach multiple usb gamepads. Online multiplayer is too boring for me, but if that's your boat then the PC is better for you. I prefer to get together with some friends and play a 4-player game. You just can't beat 4 player Halo with your buds in the room! Was even better than playing 10 player online in my opinion.

4) It's not running on top of a full blown Windows OS! How many times have you been playing a game and you get an unexpected quit. I know it happens more than I would like. I've never had a console freeze or lock up on me.

5) Portability! I can take my console anywhere I go. Friends house, downstairs, vacation. My computer is pretty much stationary. I can play my console anywhere, anytime, with anyone.

I love console gaming as much as the next guy. Don't get me wrong! I play CS, Max Payne, SS:SE, GTA3, Worms... All the time. But I just prefer console gaming and I definitely understand anyone who prefers the PC. The only thing I will never understand is someone who wants to argue that a PC has better graphics than the most state-of-the-art console system. Once again fire up Madden 2002 on your PC and on an XBox and then tell me straight-faced that the PC looks better, because I have a brand spankin' new XP2100+ w/ Radeon 8500 @(295/295) and Madden 2002 looks like trash compared to XBox even at 1600x1200 32bit with FSAA and 6x Smoothvision.

------------------
    If god hadn't intended for us to eat animals then why'd he make them out of meat?
    If god hadn't intended for us to eat animals then why'd he make them out of meat?

I think certain games are made for a certain platform. For example: Unreal Tournament. UT on the PC is great! The multiplayer is so much fun and graphics rule. I tried to play UT on Dreamcast and couldn't stand it. The controls were so complicated (IMO). Using a keybord/mouse combo is way better for that type of game. (QIIIA, SOF fall into the same category.) On the otherhand, take Grand Theft Auto 3 (since everyone is talking about it). On the PC, the graphics are great. But the controls seem a little tough. The PS2 controller works out better (again, IMO). So basically, my argument comes down to the controls of the game. Which in turn relates to the actual gameplay. With simpler controls, the easier (and more exciting) it is to play a game. So my vote in the PC vs Console war would be a split depending on the game.

PS: Graphics aren't so much an option for me, as long as the game has replayability.
    AMD 1.4GHz (266 FSB)
    512 MB PC2100 DDR
    ABIT KG7
    45GB ATA100 Maxtor
    3D Prophet GTS 64
    Creative Labs 128
    Dell 20" Trinitron

You said that Madden 2002 on the PC looked "like trash" compared to the Xbox, so i'll agree. But i'd probably put it down to being an insuperior console conversion. There's loads of 'em about - Virtua tennis is one example. It looks great on the PC, but doesn't run as smoothly as the Dreamcast version, despite the difference in processor power.

To say that the Xbox is more powerful than a PC in gaming (taking into account the OS running in the background) is a little confusing. Look at Medal of Honour: Allied Assault. The graphics are smoother than anything i've ever seen, and if you've got a top end PC with a capable graphics card (DEFINITELY NOT AN ATI CARD! - Geforce4's are much better), then you've got an upbeatable package. And as far as Medal of Honour is conserned, i wouldn't say that Frontline on the PS2 is any match at all for Allied Assault on the PC as far as graphics and game physics go.

------------------
    --Stringy_2000--

--Stringy_2000--

Originally posted by stringy_2000:
    (DEFINITELY NOT AN ATI CARD! - Geforce4's are much better)
    *self-restraint*

Max Payne is another good example: doesn't look too great on the PS2. Then you get games which go the other way; THPS3 and GTA3 both look better on a PC than they do on a console. Then again, it does come down to how well the game is actually converted, as stringy_2000 said.

At the moment I think things are pretty much even between PC's and the XBox, given its developer base, the number of availible titles, its "set-in-stone" configuration, and the ability to run at high-res. Things will change very quickly this summer though, especially once more games start taking advantage of the full DX8 feature-set.

MuFu.

------------------
    XP1700+@1776MHz
    Abit KG7-R
    Crucial 512MB
    90GB of IBM GXP Worry!
    15 GF4 Ti4400 :-)
    (Radeon 8500 owner, always...)
    WinXP

GOTcentral?

[This message has been edited by Mutha Funker (edited 05-29-2002).]
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Originally posted by stringy_2000:
    capable graphics card (DEFINITELY NOT AN ATI CARD! - Geforce4's are much better
    Holding MuFu back, so I can get to him first

I don't think we can compare game ported between the machines for this argument. Most of the ones there are for both we very quickly ported. Since someone mentioned Madden I'll use it. It was designed(the code was written) to make full use of the hardware in the console. To port it to PC they simply recompiled most of it to work on the PC with just enough changes to make it work. No optimized, but it works.

------------------
    Who made that man a gunner.
    I did sir, he's my cousin.
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    I know that, what's his name?
    That is his name sir, *******, Major *******.
    And his cousin?
    He's an ******* too sir. Gunners Mate First Class Phllip *******
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Console games do not look nearly as good as they do for PC. GTA3 was released months later for the PC with revamped, higher resolution textures and features the PS2 could not handle. I have yet to see a console game outperform it's PC sibling graphics wise.

The list goes on and on: Tony Hawk's 3, as another example, is capable of being run at 1024x768 on PC, while 800x600 on the PS2.

------------------
    Tbird XP 1700
    Asus A7V133
    256PC133
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB
    SB Live MP3+ 5.1
    I Love SucksBox
    XP 1700
    Asus A7V133 rev7
    256PC133
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB
    SB Live MP3+ 5.1
    CTX 21"

There is no denying that some games are better on a console and some are better on a pc. Suppose its really a case of which ones you prefer.

For me the reason I wont get a console is the MONITOR. I just feel happy being sat infront of my 19" monitor, keyboard and mouse, getting totally absorbed into a game. While looking at the stunning image qulity that a monitor can produce.

Plugged my big TV into the back of my GF4 while playing a bit of JKII. The novelty was great, but after 15mins I was back infront of the monitor. I just missed the sharp high definition veiwing.

Mick

------------------
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

True. That's another of those big advantages of a PC over a console. The sharper, high resolution images produced by a monitor help to do newer games justice - as opposed to a standard tv. It's easy to tell the difference between the images produced by a monitor and a tv display.

Face it,....... PCs rule!

------------------
    --Stringy_2000--

--Stringy_2000--

PC for me baby!

Until HDTV's are as common in both price and installed base as our old TV's, PC's will win in the visual department obviously.
    Of course that's not all there is to a game, but it's a big part anymore. I can live with PS2 graphics (on the PS2 mind you), but the inconsistent framerate I've noticed in several games is the real annoyance. Ruins any immersiveness for me.
    After renting GTA3 and playing it on PS2, I decided to wait for the PC version where I could at least tailor the performance to my machine and get a decent framerate. I think Rockstar overestimated the console's abilities by a fairly wide margin.

First of all of the EA games hit PC's first and are then ported to consoles so your example of recompiled code for the pc does not work.

I agree that it is very split and there are many games that can only be played on a PC FPS's, RTS's, Simulations, but other than that, I think consoles win. I know the majority of the people on this board probably prefer the types of games I just mentioned, but I do not, so that's why consoles own in my opinion. I'd say I play sports, action and racing games 75% of the time and all of those games are better on a console and many are exclusively for consoles. Here are some of the best overall games of 2001-2002 in my opinion and they're all exclusively for consoles...

Halo, NFL Fever 2002, NBA Courtside 2002, NFL Blitz 20-02, NHL Hitz 2002, Rallisport Challenge, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Virtua Fighter 4, Soul Caliber.

I would personally be content if those were the only games I ever owned and that's why I love consoles. Save FPS's, I've only played a handful of really engaging computer game that kept me coming back for more. There have been some good ones (TFC, CS, Starcraft, Diablo, Max Payne, Sim City), but that's about it for me. Maybe you all have had better computer experiences... It's not enough for me to say that PC games can run at higher resolutions with better graphics, I need high replay value and good ole fashioned fun and my consoles give me more of that.

------------------

Thread Information