Question for Everquesters
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Question for Everquesters

Question for Everquesters

Hey, just saw the original Everquest, Ruins of Kunark, and whatever the third expansion is all bundled for 45.00 Can. Just wondering if the community for this game is still strong, and what kind of life I could expect to get from it. Or should I go for some other multiplayer game??
    Intel Core2Duo 6600 Retail
    Asus P5B 965 Mobo
    2x 1 GB Samsung DDR2-667
    MSI Geforce 7900 GTO 512 Mb
    Western Digital SATA II 250 GB 16 Mb 7200 RPM
    LG 16x DVD-RW
    Enermax 535 W PS
    Antec P180
    Windows XP PRO

Everquest is still alive and well. There are 400,000 players worldwide , and they just released a new expansion , Shadows of Luclin which includes updated models and a new world to play on. They are planning on releasing a new expansion this Oct. called Planes of Power. So to answer your question, yes Everquest is alive and well and if you decide to play prepare to become addicted and spending hours playing.

try Anarchy Online. They have a free 7 day trail (it has been there for a few months already). Just go to www.anarchy-online.com and you'll get more info on this. I tried it and loved it.

Mind you, AO needs a fast machine to run smoothly. My computer is a PIII 600, 256MB of RAM, nVidia TNT2 Ultra 32MB and it can "barely" handle AO's exceptional graphics and effects (visuial quality set to medium for my case). I get about 40 - 50 FPS in outdoor zones and can be dragged down to 10 FPS in crowed city areas. Then again, I won't even dare to try to run SoL on my machine, haa

Except for the sometimes horrible frame rate, AO beats EQ in every aspect. I am playing a Matrial Artist, the best profession for starters I think. I am having a ton of fun playing AO. There is no downtime if you don't want any. There is no half night of LFG and looking for port. There is no corpse run for the 2nd half of the night if something goes wrong. There is no huge exp lost if you scan (save) your character. There are no cookie cutter characters. You can solo very well if you don't have much time for group. You can team up with others for the much faster exp and fun if you choice to. There is no such BS as like exp penalty for using a pet, in group or solo.

The list goes on and on.

The feeling I get with playing both EQ and AO - EQ needs you to work hard to have tiny little bit of fun; AO works very hard to provide you the fun.

------------------
    Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, 100 or 133, Netscape or IE, Baldur's Gate II or Counter-Strike, computers or women

[This message has been edited by atong (edited 03-31-2002).]
    Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, nVidia or ATI, Windows or Linux, Neverwinter Nights or Counter-Strike, computer or woman.

its good to hear EQ is still going strong, i may pick it up. Anarchy Online is something I was also looking at, but atong, do you think it would run on a Celeron 500, 192 Mb Ram, Voodoo3/2000? Come to think of it, would Everquest run alright?
    Intel Core2Duo 6600 Retail
    Asus P5B 965 Mobo
    2x 1 GB Samsung DDR2-667
    MSI Geforce 7900 GTO 512 Mb
    Western Digital SATA II 250 GB 16 Mb 7200 RPM
    LG 16x DVD-RW
    Enermax 535 W PS
    Antec P180
    Windows XP PRO

Thread Information