Using my monitor as a TV for an N64
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Using my monitor as a TV for an N64

Using my monitor as a TV for an N64

Hi, could someone tell me what cables I should buy to use my monitor as a TV for my N64? If I need a TV tuner please tell me what to avoid and what not to advoid.

Thanks in advance!

You need a video card or an adapter card that supports video IN. The card I have, Radeon All-in-Wonder has this built in. The connections you need is either the normal TV coaxial (TV cable screw in connection) or the red/white/yellow composite connection.
    After you have that, just plug it in, install it, switch to TV, channel 3 or 4, then there is your high-resolution(highest possible with a N64) N64.

------------------
    Thunderbird 1.2@1.4 on Abit KT7A-Raid, 256mb PC133, 60gb IBM HD, AIW Radeon, Acoustic Edge 5.1, Modem Blaster v.92, on WinXP Pro.
    2600+ on Abit NF7-S 2.0, 1024mb PC2700, 60gb IBM HD, AIW Radeon, 56k modem, on WinXP Pro SP1.

Thanks for your help, but, I dont have a video card with tv in. Could I just buy a tv tuner?

Ehh you could use a TV tuner, but I haven't seen any that allow realtime input capture. There is always a slight delay (latency issues on the PCI bus and within Windows) and the TV tuner automatically interlaces the screen (giving you small but noticeable scanlines) and usually only captures at a flat 27-30 frames per second. If you have an N64 games that runs at 60fps (F-Zero X, Mischief Makers, Smash Bro's) you will notice the frame loss. I wanted to use my TV tuner for playing my Dreamcast through my PC (for image capture) and noticed how crappy the TV card made the games look and how slow and delayed they ran. If you want realtime video capture, I suggest you get a full fledged video card with vivo (video in, video out). If you can tolerate 30fps and slight image degredation than you can buy a $25 TV card. Hope this helps.

------------------
    Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Is there any way that I can do this with my card? I have a GeForce4 Ti4600, I think that it only has a monitor input though for a 2nd monitor for the NView stuff....hmmmm....i wouldnt mind doing that though, sounds good...I wonder if I could do that with the GameCube I bought my g/f for x-mas as well.....

------------------
    Athlon 1Gig
    Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+
    256MB PC2100 DDR RAM
    Verto GeForce4 Ti4600
    Sony 52x CD
    Pioneer 16x DVD
    Acer 20x CD-RW
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    Athlon64 3000+ @2.5Ghz(Venice)
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's
    21" Gateway Widescreen LCD
    22" Gateway Widescreen LCD

Originally posted by venom650_19:
    Is there any way that I can do this with my card? I have a GeForce4 Ti4600....
    ...Um, because I really feel sorry for you, give me your GeForce4 Ti4600, and I'll give you my Geforce MX w/ twin view....It will work...

...Don't thank me... that's what I'm here for!

(LOL - just kidding, but I couldn't resist. I would just get a tuner card with good reviews)

------------------
    My Humble Box:
    ECS K7S5A
    AMD 1.4 GHz 266FSB
    GeForce2 Pro 32MB DDR
    Plextor 16X10X40A
    Creative 52X
    Maxtor 60GB
    My Humble Box:
    ECS K7S5A
    AMD 1.4 GHz 266FSB
    GeForce2 Pro 32MB DDR