Don't bother with an Intellimouse Explorer Optical Wireless!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Don't bother with an Intellimouse Explorer Optical Wireless!

Hybrid View

Don't bother with an Intellimouse Explorer Optical Wireless!

Especially if you intend to use it for gaming. It maybe a driver issue but it is less smooth than the old wireless Logitech (ball) mouse and much less smooth than an older corded Explorer optical in gaming.

In windows apps it is useable but still has a slight latency to the pointer movement which is not pleasant at all. It's also enormous so if you found the cordered Explorer optical to large you'll hate this one. Think I'll stick with the Razor Boomslang 2000 myself....... unbeatable for gaming smoothness if you can live with the regular ball cleaning and odd shape. I may try to live with this Explorer Optical Wireless mouse for windows apps as the "cordlessness" is very nice.

------------------
    Stealth Cooling Project

what OS are yo using Blade? were there any drivers updates available, seeing this 'gadget' came out before XP?

I just ordered one actually, although I'll only be using it for The Sims, OfficeXP and Internet...I think I should be fine.

------------------
    ...everyone should taste a little bitterness in their lives....

I'm using XP and I'll see if I can find newer drivers. It came with Intellipoint 4.0 You'd hope it would support XP considering it's made by Microshaft

Got a bit more used to it. The placement on the receiver is critical. anymore than 2 foot away it gets more latent or jerky. I'm getting used to it in windows now but the fact remains it is not as smooth as the corded Explorer, I was hoping it would be better and it is unusable in FPS games for me. Again it's a lot to do with what you are used to but the Boomslang 2000 is so smooth.

------------------
    Stealth Cooling Project

I believe Intellipoint 4.1 is available now.

------------------
    Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

yes, 4.1 is available.

I'm using it on XP now on a regular Optical Explorer.

try that out Blade.

You can also try TweakUI (PowerTools for XP) and play around with the Hover settings for the mouse.

------------------

Where you guys getting 4.1 from? I tried Microshafts site and it only has 4.01 not 4.1

------------------
    Stealth Cooling Project

[Homer Simpson]...DOHH!!...[Homer Simpson]

..it is 4.01 and not 4.1

------------------

Personally I haven't found ANY optical mouse that works well in games. Logitech, Microsoft, you name it. If you only need to click on some link in a browser, sure, they're just perfect. But jerk it from over here, all the way to over there, in a tiny fraction of a second, and ANY of them will lose it.

Making my own home made mousepad, with black crosses on a white background, vastly alleviated the problem, but it still couldn't compete with a plain old el-cheapo Logitech ball mouse.

I see now Logitech started making mice with TWO, not one, optical units on the bottom. Precisely for that kind of problem.

I know I'm repeating myself, but you should really try a Wacom Graphire tablet. (Or the newer Graphire 2.) No ball, no cord, no led, no batteries to replace. And 1000 dpi. And it's not much more expensive than a cordless optical mouse.

About the only complaints I can find, if I really try, are:

- A bit too short an USB cord. I had to get an extension cord with my current setup. (Well, ok, so it IS a bit of an exotic setup, with the computer as far as it gets from where the mouse is.)

- It doesn't have teflon feet, like Logitech mice. It's a solid plastic mouse on a solid plastic graphics tablet. When you move it, it makes a soft scratching sound. (Though in a year, none of them got damaged at all.) I suppose I should really get some teflon adhesive tape and make it slide properly.

- It could have used a slightly larger tablet.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Moraelin

To be honest the original Intellimouse Explorer was very good in games & Quake until ID software decided to "Fix" the "broken" mouse acceleration in the game. It went all to pot after that and any patch level above 117 is messed up. They said they put it back to normal but any patch above 117 is totally screwed as far as the Explorer is concerned, (when turning around quickly). Yes you can turn the accel off in windows but that is annoying in Windows and it still isn't the same in the game as patch level 117.

Problem is the Razor mouse is a complete level higher in movement smoothness over the Explorer, (which was better than any ball mouse I've had before it ).

What is more disappointing about this new Explorer Cordless mouse, (and I honestly wasn't expecting it to be any good in gaming), is that it's less smooth than the Original Corded Explore in Windows. It has a very slight, (but noticeable to me), latency to the pointer movement. It also can be hard to position as it doesn't move instantly when you move the mouse after it's gone into battery saving, (after a few seconds of inactivity)

Maybe I was expecting to much, but I would have hoped for better considering how long it has taken Microshaft to bring out a cordless version. I can probably live with it as the lack of cabling is very nice but it is still far from ideal. If this is due to the Aligent power saving features, (and I think it is as the Logitech has the same sort of trouble, and the same Aligent power saving), then I wish they would fit a high power / quality Nickel Hydride or Lithium Ion battery, (type digital cameras use), and supply it with a night time charging / docking station, so it can be recharged when not in use and it should last at least a day with out requiring any power saving features.

I also investigated the Wacom Graphire tablet, (when you mentioned it in the past), but a review I read didn't favour it much with the mouse especially for gaming.

I was a Razor Boomslang disbeliever until I got one and used it. It's far from perfect but it is absolutely unbeatable for smoothness of movement.

Gasman has had and liked a corded Explorer, I visited him a while back, (about the Asus GF3), and he tried my Boomslang 2000...... he now has one.

I'm just trying to find something as good that is cordless an doesn't need a mouse mat, I'm certain it's not impossible to do and I'd pay large amounts for the product that fitted this bill The search goes on, one thing is for certian this Microshaft mouse isn't an improvement in any area imo, other than useability, (cordlessness).

------------------
    Stealth Cooling Project

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 11-15-2001).]

I agree with Bladerunner. I bought two of them and they have a slight delay which gets on my nerves! It is alright for navigating in Windows but for games, I LOVE my Logitech optical trackball.

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Just take care of that Razor 2000, since it has no service or warranty support.

I've already had to do surgery on mine once, but she's alive and fraggin' smooth again.

------------------
    Only 30,000 to 40,000 genes in an Einstein, a Michael Jordan, or a Bach? Boy, can that God guy write tight code or what? - David Rudloff
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

My Logitech optical mouse kicks ***, no lag at all in anything and i play ALOT of UT.

Yo, Blade, can you please point me to that review? I'm just curious what they had to say about it.

------------------

Thread Information