My games keep crashing to desktop!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: My games keep crashing to desktop!

My games keep crashing to desktop!

Hi, I just found this page today. Nascar 4 and spiderman keep crashing to desktop after main page loads, and their tech supports have not helped. I'm using win 98, athlon 1.4, 384 meg ram, visiontek geforce 2 gts 64 meg ram. I have the latest drivers and newest direct x. Only thing I noticed was running directxdiag.exe under display, I do the direct draw acceleration test and one of the three (testing full screen) the bouncing ball appears and disappears immediately. Don't know if this is a "failed" test. I tried lowering resolution from 1024x768x32 to other ones with no success. Any setting under direct 3d or open gl or anything like that I can try? Please help since I would like to get this running. Thanks.

Here are a couple of things to try:

1) Make sure you have installed the latest VIA 4in1 drivers.

2) After doing so, install your vid card as standard display adapter, remove your Detonators and reinstall using the latest (which you alreay have).

3) Make sure that your CPU and Video Card are being cooled properly.

4) If nothing up to this point has worked format and reinstall windows... a *****, I know. Making sure to install only the newest drivers of every device.

What are VIA 4in1 drivers and where do I get them? I think I'm ok with all the other stuff. I'm hoping it won't come down to formatting and reinstalling windows.

VIA 4-in-1 drivers are low-level drivers that make Windows run better on systems with VIA chipsets.

Most, but not all, AMD systems require the 4-in-1 drivers. To be sure you do, please tell us what Motherboard you have.

------------------
    A7V + 1.4ghz AYHJA Y,Swiftech MC462a, 512mb (generic) pc133 @143mhz(2-2-2), IBM 75GXP, ASUS Geforce2 GTS, SB-Live5.1,12x10x32 Plexwriter,16x40x Pioneer DVD, NIC, Cable, Win98SE
    now that my specs are respectable, I might as well list them again:

2500+ Barton @ 2346mhz, Swiftech MC462a/80mm Sanyo Denki fan
    Abit NF7-S v 2.0
    2x256 Ocz PC3500 DDR
    128 mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Lian-Li PC-68 case
    Enermax 431 watt PS
    blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

I have an epox ep-8k7a.

I update the drivers for the motherboard but the problem persists. Now my windows booting time is increased because of a pause during windows98 bootup

Did you install the AMD AGP driver instead of the AGP driver in the 4-in-1 set?

You're motherboard requires the AMD AGP driver.

------------------
    A7V + 1.4ghz AYHJA Y,Swiftech MC462a, 512mb (generic) pc133 @143mhz(2-2-2), IBM 75GXP, ASUS Geforce2 GTS, SB-Live5.1,12x10x32 Plexwriter,16x40x Pioneer DVD, NIC, Cable, Win98SE

Abit NF7-S v 2.0
    2x256 Ocz PC3500 DDR
    Lian-Li PC-68 case
    Enermax 431 watt PS
    blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

I went to epox.com and installed: amd 761 driver called miniport_480_win98.exe and VIA Apollo 686 chipset audio called via-686-120.exe

You could try re-installing Direct X 8a

------------------

Abit NF7-S v 2.0
    2x256 Ocz PC3500 DDR
    Lian-Li PC-68 case
    Enermax 431 watt PS
    blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

DirectX came with a game but I also tried installing from microsoft. I think it has to be a problem with the game trying to adjust to the appropriate resolution.

I have also had problems with a Visiontek Geoforce 2. It is a Visiontek Geoforce 2 MX with 32 megs SDR. The problem I have seen is that it did not come with a heatsink, and I have been too lazy to install one. Any time I try running an application that uses the card, like playing The Moon Project or playing dvds, the application crashes. Running a test will work once, and then afterwards everything will crash. A heatsink really helps. If I didn't have any other computers, I would have probably already fixed the heatsink. The card I have does have 4 mounting holes, so it would be great for setting up a heatsink. Not sure if you have the same problem, but Visiontek has put out many Geoforce cards without heatsinks.

Mine has a fan but no heatsink (I think). However, only 2 out of about 20 games are crashing. Also, I've installed a "system blower" in a pci slot next to the video card so I would hope that it's at the right temp. I wonder if I should try win 2000?

If it has a fan, it has a heatsink... albeit a small one. Those factory heatsinks are often not very effective, and worse are often not even attatched properly. I've seen those things taken apart and have noticed a few with large gaps in the middle of the horribly applied glue.

Ther is no real reason to expect your results with windows 2000 to be much better than your results with windows 98. If you're going to re-install an operating system, use win98 again. Just be sure to do a carful rebuild using only the latest drivers for everything.

Thread Information