What is the best gamepad controller?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best gamepad controller?

Hybrid View

What is the best gamepad controller?

I want to find out which is the best gamapad controller for gaming in Win2k & Win98x series. Win2k does not support my serial Logitech Thunderpad Digital anymore and I would to get a new one.

How does a USB controller do as far as gaming is concerned and will the perormance will be better or the same with a serial one?

------------------
    My Parking Space

I used the Logitech Thunderpad digitals on my old box. When I sold the box my buddy got the gamepads.

On my new box, I've got USB Microsoft Sidewinder gamepads. I'd say performance is better, but thats because I like the feel of the buttons on the Sidewinder more. Nothing jumps out about the USB interface except that it works fine and its very convenient.

My main game for the gamepads is NHL2001, which is very fast and twitchy so I think its a good test of any gamepad.

If you like the Thunderpad Digitals (like I did) you might want to get the Sidewinders too. They have the same shape and button config, and they're very inexpensive because they don't have any fancy features.

------------------
    A7V + 1ghzTbird,Swiftech MC462a, 512mb (generic) pc133 @143mhz(2-2-2), IBM 75GXP, ASUS Geforce2 GTS, SB-Live5.1,12x10x32 Plexwriter,16x40x Pioneer DVD, NIC, Cable, Win98SE
    now that my specs are respectable, I might as well list them again:

2500+ Barton @ 2346mhz, Swiftech MC462a/80mm Sanyo Denki fan
    Abit NF7-S v 2.0
    2x256 Ocz PC3500 DDR
    128 mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Lian-Li PC-68 case
    Enermax 431 watt PS
    blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

The BEST GamePad ever is the Logitec RumblePad... Man I love it, you can play any type of game with it (Flight Sim, Space Sim, Sport, etc). It has 2 analog sticks and a throttle (that's 5 axis, really nice to have), plus a hat trigger and 9 buttons... I love it!

Arnon

The Microsoft Sidewinder is quite nice looking.
    I'll try to compare which one suits my gaming needs and thanks guys

The Logitech site is down at the moment i think

------------------
    My Parking Space

[This message has been edited by Berserker (edited 09-14-2001).]

I have both the microsoft pads and the logitech rumblepad... rumblepad wins

Better control, Better feel, and force feedback.

-Pikachu

------------------
    Athlon T-Bird 1ghz @ 1.12Ghz
    Abit KT7A-Raid
    512meg PC-133
    NVidia GeForce 3 @ 235/500
    Det 12.00
    4x IBM Deskstar 30 gig
    1x Removable HDD Bay
    SBLive! 5.1 Plat.
    Sony 10/4/32 CD-RW
    Creative 12x DVD-Rom
    Iomega Zip-250
    -Pikachu
    PIV 2.8 @3.4
    MSI 850E-Max
    4x120gb 7200rpm HDD 8meg cache(Raid 0)
    1x100gb 7200rpm HDD (USB 2.0)
    48/25/48A PlexWriter
    16x Pioneer DVD-Rom
    VisionTek GeForce 4 ti4600
    512mb PC1066 RD-Ram
    SoundBlaster Audigy
    21" Sony E500 monitor
    Windows XP Professional

Force Feedback, I would definitely have to take a look into that

------------------
    My Parking Space

Personally I like the Gravis Xterminator series, partially because they resemble the Dreamcast controller. (Which I've always found _very_ suited to my tastes.) And they have enough buttons, knobs, sliders, flippers and triggers to suit any game. Especially the analog flippers are VERY nice for racing games, since you get analogue gas and brake control.

I've had about a dozen gamepads so far, plus a few other weird controllers. (Like the Strategic Commander.) So far, Gravis seems to be the one which I get along with the best.

What I disliked about a lot of others was that they had the X and Y axis tilted, presumably out of some misguided attempt at ergonomy. Unfortunately, for me that is totally uncomfortable and counter-intuitive. I want forward to be, well, exactly forward. It's not that much to ask, is it? I had to keep the pad twisted in the opposite direction to be able to control anything at all. That goes for both Microsoft and Logitech pads.

Whether or not Gravis pads work well under W2K, though, I couldn't tell. Never had W2K.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Moraelin, the Gravis Xterminator looks tempting and since it has the force feedback, I will take it into consideration as well. I'll check out two of them. Thanks for the reply guys

------------------
    My Parking Space

Moraelin, the Gravis Xterminator looks tempting and since it has the force feedback, I will take it into consideration as well. I'll check out two of them. Thanks for the reply guys

------------------
    My Parking Space

I use the Dual Shock Analog Controller of my Playstation on my PC games. I built my own parallel port interface and used the Directpad Pro drivers. It works perfectly with all DirectX games.

------------------
    Celeron2 600@900
    256MB RAM cas2
    ASUS P2-99B i440BX/ZX mobo
    ASUS 7100/T Geforce2 MX 200core 210mem
    Maxtor 20GB 7200 rpm hd
    ASUS 12x DVD-ROM drive
    Pentium III 600@800
    256MB PC133 Kingston ValueRam CL2
    ASUS P2-99B i440BX/ZX mobo
    MSI Geforce3 Ti 200 @ 200/450
    Maxtor 20GB 7200 rpm hd
    ASUS 12x DVD-ROM drive

Hmm... Actually I have the older Xterminator, which has both an analogue stick AND a digital pad. The new one seems to have merged them into one single pad. Also the old one had yet another POV knob (sort of like the 8 direction coolie hats on joysticks) where the current one has the precision switch. It also had an analogue slider above the 6 buttons, for example for setting the throttle in flight or space sims. And in addition to the analogue flippers, it had a second set of triggers on the back.

It did not, however, have any force feedback.

Looking at the current line of Gravis products, I would get the "Eliminator AfterShock" instead of the new Xterminator. Never actually had that one, but the layout and features look just right to me. Maybe I'll just order one and see for myself.

------------------

Hey Berserker,

I guess the best game pad for you will really come down to what kind of games you want to play with it. I recommended the Microsoft pads because they're very similar to the Logitech Thunderpads -- a d-pad and 6 buttons. For my game thats all I need, so I didn't want to spend 2-3 times more for a pad that has a bunch of features I wouldn't use. Heres the pad I use:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/si...ay/default.asp

Simple and cheap.

Heres the pad others have recommended:
    http://www.gravis.com/products/pro_eli_d1022.html

The Gravis pad looks way cooler then mine, and it can do alot of things mine can't. I'll bet it costs more than twice as much also.

------------------
    A7V + 1ghzTbird,Swiftech MC462a, 512mb (generic) pc133 @143mhz(2-2-2), IBM 75GXP, ASUS Geforce2 GTS, SB-Live5.1,12x10x32 Plexwriter,16x40x Pioneer DVD, NIC, Cable, Win98SE
    now that my specs are respectable, I might as well list them again:

2500+ Barton @ 2346mhz, Swiftech MC462a/80mm Sanyo Denki fan
    Abit NF7-S v 2.0
    2x256 Ocz PC3500 DDR
    128 mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Lian-Li PC-68 case
    Enermax 431 watt PS
    blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

Joypads on a PC.... *shivers*

------------------
    Athlon1.4Ghz(1503@143fsb)
    ASUS A7M266 Motherboard
    ASUS 8200 Geforce 3 Pure
    Onboard Sound
    256 PC2100 DDR
    Enermax 350w DualFan PSU
    Realtek 10/100mb NIC
    17" Monitor
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: RealtekŪ ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

Originally posted by Weapon:
    I use the Dual Shock Analog Controller of my Playstation on my PC games. I built my own parallel port interface and used the Directpad Pro drivers. It works perfectly with all DirectX games.
    Weapon,
    is the Dual Shock Analog Controller supported by Win2k? I doubt it will work since it has the parallel interface or I could be wrong. I have seen the devices here especially the PS game shops.

I don't mind if I can get more buttons for my pad, the M$ Sidewinder looks ok but I would prefer to have buttons that represent the Select/Start button on it. I played some emulator games sometimes.

------------------
    My Parking Space

Well, actually for what you get it's not that much. E.g. down here you can get that Gravis AfterShock for 63 DM, which is less than 30 bucks. Compared to most other stuff that went into this computer, it's the least expensive component.

The MS may be cheaper (at only 37 DM), but completely lacks analogue controls for example. If you're into flight or racing sims, that's one big minus. Frankly, if all I wanted was digital control, I'd be using the keyboard. I also see no mention of rumble or anything.

The closest MS pad which would come close to the Gravis is the Sidewinder Game Pad Pro USB, which still has no rumble and has less buttons, but at least has analogue controls. And it costs 69 DM. I.e., it's marginally more expensive than the Gravis, but has LESS functionality.

And even if you only want the cheapest thing with a D-Pad and 6 buttons, I still wouldn't say the MS Sidewinder is the best choice. E.g., I spy with my little eye something called Gravis Destroyer, which fits that bill and only costs 21 DM.

------------------

Thread Information