Max Payne review is up at IGN.com
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Payne review is up at IGN.com

Hybrid View

Max Payne review is up at IGN.com

Hello everyone!

Just for your information, the Max Payne review is out at IGN PC. They gave it a very positive 9.3/10 (the highest score they ever gave was 9.6 on UT).

You can read it out here

------------------
    Pentium II 350 MHz
    160mb NEC PC100 SDRAM
    Voodoo3 3000 AGP
    Guillemot MaxiSound Fortissimo
    Windows 98SE

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Yeah, and GameSpot have another right here

And here is another one at 3DGaming.

Without surfing to those links what is the early verdict? does it kick big time ARSE?
    My copy should be at my doorstep sometime next week. ---I CAN'T WAIT!--- GO MAX, GO MAX!

My brother just picked it up. He says it's one great game! He says it runs pretty good on his Radeon system, but he also has a GF3 so i'm betting the Radeon system wont get to see to much of Max Pain !

------------------
    KilrB's PC
    KilrB's PC
    Abit NF7-S Rev2
    XP2100+ @ 200x11.5 2300Mhz
    512MB Corsair XMS Platnium PC3200 Ultra Low Latency CAS222
    Tyan Tachyon G9700 Pro w/Zalman ZM80a-HP Heatpipe
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

"Fat, Drunk and Stupied is now way to go threw life Son!" Quote: Dean Wormer.... Animal House

GameSpot -> 9.2 / 10
    3D Gaming -> 9.5 / 10

Originally posted by JMike:
    GameSpot -> 9.2 / 10
    3D Gaming -> 9.5 / 10
    Dam, it looks like the game rocks. I just hope it runs on my crappy PC.

Posted by Trophy1

And another rewiev at VoodooExtreme
    Damn, I can't wait until I get my copy!

I ran Max Payne most of the day yesterday/ Darn fine game, great graphics, and plenty of action

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

Anyone who knows what a computer game is and does not buy this game is absolutely insane. Opening the box reminded me of the first computer game i bought, duke nukem 3d, and all the same feelings rushed back. I don't think i have played any game that has really been so sick since duke nukem 3d. It even has the same little touches that duke did which makes it so good, you can tell who made it and they definitely spent time. I'm not even gonna tell you what's so awsome about it. go buy it NOW!

I'm not even gonna tell you what's so awsome about it. go buy it NOW!
    If you're not I will.

I just bought this game today and it seriously rocks. The graphics are unbelievable (angels singing in the backround as it runs with no lagging at full detail) and the sound is incredible. For the first time since I've installed the 3 1/2 disk of shareware version of Doom have I jumped in my seat from sounds. The action never stops. I'm up to Part 1 Ch4 and there has been no stop in the action. The slow mo (RightMmouseButton) action is something I've never seen before and really does makes you think you're in the Matrix. The controls are simple an un-complicated. I suggest going out and buying a four-button mouse for this one with a wheel. (You probally already have one anyway if you're reading this.)

The one thing I thought that was really neat was when I opened the instruction manual they give the Minimum Requirements and Recommended Requirements and beneath each is the associated 3dMarks2001 score. Interesting touch.

Reminder: Download the 1.01 Patch from www.remedy.fi There have been some crash issues with the game from time to time so save often!

------------------
    T-Bird 800@1000
    ASUS A7V KT133
    256MB PC133
    ASUS V7700 Geforce2 GTS 64MB
    Soundblaster Live! 5.1 X-Gamers
    AOpen 12x40x DVD-ROM
    WD 7200rpm 30gig HD
    WD 7200rpm 20gig HD
    -----
    Hail to the King Baby!
    T-Bird 800@1000
    ASUS A7V KT133
    256MB PC133
    ASUS V7700 Geforce2 GTS 64MB
    Soundblaster Live! 5.1 X-Gamers
    AOpen 12x40x DVD-ROM
    WD 7200rpm 30gig HD
    WD 7200rpm 20gig HD
    -----
    Hail to the King Baby!

This one is for BladeRunner

From IGNPC review:

Character models are also first-rate, although Max's arms do seem a bit long for his body and he always has a grimace on his face that makes him look constipated, but it certainly doesn't detract from the game

------------------
    Pentium II 350 MHz
    160mb NEC PC100 SDRAM
    Voodoo3 3000 AGP
    Windows 98SE

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Amen, it is one sweet game. I've finished it yesterday, and I'm starting it again. It's not just the superb graphics and the very nice matrix-like sequences.

It's also that it has more story and scripted sequences than all the HL derivatives put together. (That is HL, Op Force, Gunman AND Blue Shift.) In fact, it has just about enough story for an RPG, not just for a shooter. And it's not just the story, it's also hearing the guards talk to each other all over the place, some soap opera sequence on a TV in a hotel, and all sorts of stuff like that.

Briefly, it's like being in an action movie. A good action movie.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Originally posted by Moraelin:
    Amen, it is one sweet game. I've finished it yesterday, and I'm starting it again. It's not just the superb graphics and the very nice matrix-like sequences.

Wow, you finished it already!! I just got it...anyway, how's the ending (without ruining it). Is it a good long "cut scene" type ending or a stupid 1 frame picture and congratulations? The game doesn't seem too complicated and I am looking forwards to finishing it...someday. I've just seen good/great games have the worst endings ever.
    AMD 1.4GHz (266 FSB)
    512 MB PC2100 DDR
    ABIT KG7
    45GB ATA100 Maxtor
    3D Prophet GTS 64
    Creative Labs 128
    Dell 20" Trinitron

Originally posted by Moraelin:
    some soap opera sequence on a TV in a hotel

Have you stand watching it for a long time? Not to spoil the punch but something weird should happen if you watch it for long enough

------------------
    Pentium II 350 MHz
    160mb NEC PC100 SDRAM
    Voodoo3 3000 AGP
    Windows 98SE

[This message has been edited by equinoxe3d (edited 07-30-2001).]

Thread Information