Counterstrike.......... - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Counterstrike..........

CS is far better than UT.
    This is not due to the graphics - UT's are far better, although I think that this is partly to do with the taste of the player.
    It is the gameplay...
    This is what keeps us interested with games, this is what we play them for, gameplay is everything.
    We may be in awe of UT's graphics the first douzen times that we play it, but after a while we find a little boring, but with CS u never get border (or rather I havent and ive been playing it for longer than UT.)

I think the gameplay in UT is much better than CS along with graphics, sound, control, maps, weapons, and mods.

I think it would be fair to compare CS to the mod for UT called Tac Ops.And it runs fairly well with a 56k connection.

first off cs isn't a game for people who want to just go and shoot everything there are a bunch of boring games for that (ex. quake triligy). you have to play cs for a while and know what each weapon does and when and what weapon to use, cs doesn't start to get fun until you play it for a while and become a good player. i just dont understand how poeple, can like respawning for 2 seconds then being killed before you can get a weapon that is boring to me. cs is a game that requires intelligence, and good hand eye coordination, where fps dont you just go in firing and if ya hit somthing woopie. and if ut is such a good game why is counter-stikre the most played game every, and is also been the most game ever for the longest amount of time.
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

CS is basically a game of headshots to me. I did play several games of it and it seemed to crawl at a very slow pace. I also don't like the fact that if you do get killed you have to sit there for the rest of the game with your thumb up your ***. With all of the mods available for UT you have a much wider selection of gameplay modes. I actually just added the Monster Hunt mod and it's alright, i played that last night for a while. It's all opinions here so if you like CS, God bless you, i don't.

If you hate this game so much why don't you give me a cd-key??? I really want to play this game online!!!

thanks

------------------
    My stuff:
    Asus A7V + Duron 800@800
    Global Win FOP38 cooling
    128mb PC133
    Gainward GeForce 2 MX
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz audio
    Quantum Fireball lct 20 ATA100 drive
    Quantum Fireball lct 10 UDMA66 drive
    Philips 4x4x32 CDRW
    Adaptec AHA-2940AU SCSI card
    Toshiba 32X SCSI CD-ROM
    Asus A7V + Duron 800@800
    256mb PC133 CAS2 memory
    Gainward GeForce 2 MX
    Santa Cruz audio
    Philips 4x4x32 CDRW
    Adaptec AHA-2940AU SCSI card
    Toshiba 32X SCSI CD-ROM

CS is a good mod, but not the greatest. Mods like FireArms, Front Line Force, and Day of Defeat are IMO much better. i believe FLF is the only mod where everybody actually sticks together. This is because when you're near your friends, you will heal slowly and aim better. So it's no fun with running away on your own, which too often is the case with CS.

But nonetheless, CS is good. The engine sucks though. If you have been mapping for CS you know what I mean...the map must not be too big, you have a very limited viewing distance and those r_speeds...argh!

------------------
    "Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors.
    But today we kneel only to the truth..."

--Kahlil Gibran
    "In the end, the one with the biggest gun wins."
    - General Custard

CS is all about strategy. Iv been playing since beta3 and it has to be the most stratigically advanced game ever. playing with newbs and idiots sucks of course, cuz its a TEAM game. untill you hop on a server with 5 or 6 friends and work together, u cant comment on the gameplay because u missed the most fundamental aspect of the game: teamplay. CS is a game where you have to spend days, weeks, months, learning your own style, weapons, taticts, level runs, its way more complicated than you think. not to mention effective uses for smoke/nades, flashbangs, nightvision, radio, radar, EAX! (which makes a WORLD of difference when playing - if you have it cranked, u can pretty much hear where anyone is (within reason) in any level, listening to footsteps is so earily exciting, its just great) for whoever was complaining about dying and having to wait - uh, get good and dont die. not to sound like an ***, but work with your team, give orders, use the radio - do anything to win. CS is a game that takes lots and lots of patience and practice. dont get me wrong, i love UT to, it runs/looks way better, but its a totaly different type of FPS gaming that CS. but i cant stand playing UT on a modem, theres just no way u can play against LBPs. the HL netcode is far superior to anything so far in terms of leveling the playing field. granted, a lower ping is always better, but u can still hop on a server filled with LPBs and whup em. anyway, thats my 2 cents

------------------
    p3-600e @ 840 on P3B-F; 128mg micron pc133; GTS 32mg 7700 Deluxe My Site
    p3-600e @ 840 on P3B-F; 256 pc150; GTS 32mg 7700 Deluxe

Anitdaisu Guest
    Another game that really needs teamwork is tribes 2

------------------
    my specs:
    AMD T-BIRD 750MHz
    256MB RAM
    IBM 46 GB 7200 RPM
    SAMSUNG 2GB
    SONY CD ROM 48X
    PANASONIC 8X4X32
    REALTEK 10/100 ETHERNET
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE
    Leadtek GF2 Pro
    300W SUPPLY
    CAMBRIDGE FPS 1000
    17 " GEMSTAR
    PROMISE TECHNOLOGY ULTRA 66 CARD
    ABIT KT7
    WINDOWS 2000 W/ SP 1

Has anyone tried the UT mod Tactical Ops?

it takes skill in both games to play it well, you cant say that in UT you just go in and hope to hit something when shooting so WHOOPIIEE, it takes SKILL to hit people, especially if your in a major fire fight with like 8-10 other people, you have to KNOW how to move, how to dodge and especially how to aim and anticipate what others are going to do.

Same goes with CS but in a different context, CS is about strategy and team work, and even in UT CTF strategy and Team work doesnt always work right, cause when it comes down to it, its still fast paced shooting with no planning really, I've been on some good teams in UT before, but sometimes it didnt matter, even if we all stormed the base and had a plan, if you suck at dodging, aiming, etc. your plan will fail, in CS this isnt the case, a well designed plan will work no matter what, unless the other team figures out what your trying to do and ambushes you.

UT and CS are on completely different levels from each other, besides being a FPS, the gameplay for each is completely different and really cant be compared.

I love both of them, they are both great games!

------------------
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Ive got tactical ops, and its cs on ut. I really like it, and I like cs. If it wasnt for the mods that come out, we would be playing something else

------------------
    if you are listenin to me.....you've got problems
    Duron 1000
    ecs K7VZA motherboard
    with built in sound
    512 meg
    geforce2 gts 32meg
    15gig maxtor
    24x creative cdrom
    gateway 17in monitor
    and a cheap case
    running BeDOs

Q3 and UT are similar animals.
    From what I understand tribes2 has more in common with CS than those two so comparisons are unfair.
    As has been said many times in this topic, CS takes teamwork, listening to footsteps A3d, not that EAX rubbish
    For instance if your team keep getting stuck at a choke point then one tactic is to throw grenades at it to get the enemys attention then take a different route, there are so many different tactics. I have been playing for about a year on and off and I am still finding out new tactics for the maps (through divising them myself and being subjected to being owned through other people using them on me)
    Also an important note about UT and CS differences is that CS using the HL (Q2 engine) adheres to realism. Realistic physics, realistic running speed etc. Whereas UT in its own style has you moving at Linford Christie on cocktails of Steroids and red bull like speeds...
    I don't rate one above the other though. I have spent much time playing UT and like its style. Its just that I now prefer the realism of CS. Again the realism comes through with the weapons in CS. Each weapon has an effective range, different recoil actions, different roles to play in the game. I have only just started to manage one of the terrorist guns (AK47) effectively as before I wrote it off as being far too inaccurate, but with short bursts its deadly. Only that it can be a bit annoying getting headshotted by someone completely by luck...

Sure its still prone to some bugs, but there is so much to the game, and working in software myself I know this, that its very hard to cover every possible situation and test with every driver, component, etc. But I am sure that every game has some method of cheating possible. Its just that so many people are now playing this popular mod that the most methods of cheating have been discovered. With my preference to realism in mind, I am looking at moving to a new level with playing Operation Flashpoint online... if you want to compare the beauty and stunning graphics of UT with something, run Operation Flashpoint max res, with all options maxed out, switch on with a GF3 and then take a moment or two to pick your jaw off the ground.

[This message has been edited by Arris (edited 07-25-2001).]
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

Anitdaisu Guest
    Whatever happened to operation flashpoint guys? Is there still a decent following for it?

------------------
    my specs:
    AMD T-BIRD 750MHz
    256MB RAM
    IBM 46 GB 7200 RPM
    SAMSUNG 2GB
    SONY CD ROM 48X
    PANASONIC 8X4X32
    REALTEK 10/100 ETHERNET
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE
    Leadtek GF2 Pro
    300W SUPPLY
    CAMBRIDGE FPS 1000
    17 " GEMSTAR
    PROMISE TECHNOLOGY ULTRA 66 CARD
    ABIT KT7
    WINDOWS 2000 W/ SP 1

Last I heard from someone was that adverts for team members were stating "Strictly no civilians, ex-military only". To which someone posted a reply "Yeah but I am probably the best helicopter pilot in the game" to which I think the response was something like "Tsk... civilians".
    Sounds like it could be too real for its own good

------------------
    -----------------------
    Athlon 1Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 Motherboard
    ASUS 8200 Geforce 3 Pure
    Aureal Vortex2 Quad
    3x 128Mb PC133
    Logitech i-Touch cordless key&mouse
    17" Monitor of unknown type
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

Thread Information