Counterstrike..........
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Counterstrike..........

Hybrid View

Counterstrike..........

Well, i went out and bought Half Life then i added the CS patch and played a few games online. I hate to say it, but i don't see the big deal about this game. The graphics aren't as good as UT, the controls aren't as good as UT in my opinion, and the levels are boring. I gave it a shot i guess, i just don't get what the hoopla is about with this game, i was let down.

UT has the best looking levels i have seen in quite some time,and i used to play cs as well,but theres nothing like UT(cept maybe T2)

------------------
    1.2@1.33 T-Bird
    WBK-38
    Asus v8200 Deluxe
    Asus A7A266
    512mb pc2100 Crucial DDR
    Creative Labs PC-DVD
    Creative Labs 4224 CD-RW
    Creative Labs Mp3 5.1
    30gb Maxtor hd
    20gb WD hd
    19' Sony Trintron Multiscan E400
    WinME

I really can't compare the to that much. Being a classic deathmatch style fighter myself (inclduing and perferring UT CTF) I found CS rather different at first being it isn't a good tactic to bum rush your opponent while jumping and trying to shoot him. However I find CS a welcome change to UT especially when playing with people on my homeLAN partially because I can kick anyones a$$ in UT around here but also jsut because the team aspect of the game. CS is basically a game of pure head shots being you can basically get a head shot with any gun as long as you are shooting correctly etc. I think the advantage CS has is once again basically in the team style of it. Its more involved as a team game then say CTF in UT, although I have seen some various teams proceed to utterly destroy other teams with great team work. THe other advantage with CS likely is its realism....some people i know didn't like UT because everything was to unrealistic for them.

Either way I love UT and CS and they are basically the two games I play most aroudn here on LAN games and online, With the exception of a crazy Q3 game every here and there with some super heavy russian metal playing.

------------------
    When in doubt break out the sledge hammer....

Join the JJR512 Genome@home team

Well, like i said i gave it a shot and i wasn't very impressed. I played several games online to really see if it would grow on me and it didn't. I happen to like UT's futuristic levels and darker atmosphere alot more. I also think UT has better audio to boot. CTF is great in UT as is assault and domination mode, i play a game of UT everyday and i've had the game for almost a year now and i just keep downloading new levels to keep it fresh. Some great CTF maps are Hall Of Giants II and Extreme, also Face II, III. Anyway, it's all opinions so what i think doesn't mean **** to the next guy. Later.

Because I have to limit my play-time I end up playing CS almost exclusively. You are right, it certainly doesn't have significant eye-candy appeal.

It is all about the concept of rounds, and the team dynamics. It also has a huge community because it can be played on a broad range of platforms; lots of CS players are using machines that would just suck at Q3A. Mostly though, it's not about the game, it's about the play.
    Free advice, and worth every penny.

I'm not into gaming much.. I only play UT and a couple sports games. But a friend of mine is addicted to CS and because of that, I'm itching to try it.. but then I looked at the reviews and CS is just a mod of half life.. a really old game with a minimum requirement of P133 processor.. I'm just wondering how such an old engine can compete with UT??

Originally posted by cmx3:
    I'm just wondering how such an old engine can compete with UT??
    Graphically, it can't. I've only played CS in beta but I've been playing TFC for over two and a half years. TFC looks butt compared to UT. Roadwarrior mentioned the team dynamics, UT ctf has that. Different classes--Tribes2 has that. TFC is still my favorite though. Roadwarrior also mentioned the community and that's where (IMHO) RW hits the nail on the head. In TFC I know or know of most of the people I go up against. When I play a good pub I can find that person in IRC and say, "gg" or talk some smack.

RW said, "it's about the play" and I agree 100%. The community makes it fun and though I don't play CS, it's the most popular online game now, you know its community is established. The engine isn't everything. I have an Athlon @1.5ghz and a GF3 and the two games that I play most are TFC and AoE

Remember that CS is only a MOD, and not a pro one at that.
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Well being that it has been offically released from Sierra in retail forum isn't that partially considered professional? Even if it wasn't developed by the pros it sure turned out very well

------------------

Join the JJR512 Genome@home team

Well I was a CS addict until I tried the Day of Defeat mod for Half-Life. Now I'm a DoD addict. You guys should give it a go. One side is the Axis and the other the Allies in WW2. There are diffrent modes of play like Storm the beach, take the hill, capture the town.

You can not compare UT and CS. You like UT and CS is not interesting for you.
    I like CS and UT is not interesting for me.
    I do not say, that CS is better than UT. And you should not say, that UT is better than CS.
    Just different people like different game styles.
    CS !!FOR ME!! is the best game. Graphic is good enough. It is different than graphic in UT. I do not think, it is worse, but maybe yes.
    I tried to play UT online several times, and nothing hapend. I tried CS and I must play it again and again.
    (excuse my english...)

------------------
    Mamamia
    Mamamia

I can't wait for UT 2 that's going to kick ***. In fact i bought my GeForce 3 so my system would handle it because i know it's going to require substantial power from what i've seen.

I don't like CS, either. The game is somewhat of a new concept, no doubt. Not that much my kind of concept, but I'll give it good points for that. But there are waay too many lamers in it.

Mind you, there are _some_ lamers in any game. You occasionally run into one or two in UT just as well. But that's the whole thing. It's one or two in a whole week. In CS there might be one or two people who _aren't_ lamers in a whole week. Looks like even from the people I know IRL, three quarters are cheating and damn proud of it. Most of their talks revolve around where to find the latest wall transparency hack and aimbot. The others are proud to be either team killers or annoying in some other way.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Well, I have both of them and I like both. UT is by far the most beautiful game on the planet. The map designs are the best I've seen. But gameplay is poor for a 56ker. I use the sniper rifle and fire but it takes about a second to acually fire, just like TFC about a few patches ago. Netcode is poor for us dialups. Other than that its a great game.

Now CS on the other hand, isn't up to date in the graphics department. But the gameplay is the best I have ever played. You can be on a 28.8 and still whip cable users asses. In my experience, fps has a lot to do with your performance in CS. I average 15 to 30 fps, but manage to kill cable guys ok but not great. Then I play on my friends 1 gig and geforce2 and get 99 fps all the time and totaly whip everyones asses except during lag. In UT I can have great fps but I always get my *** kicked no matter what cus I fire then it fires like a second later. I have tweaked the **** out of it and everything but still lousy netcode. If the netcode for UT was up to par with HL, it would be a great game. I have played TacOps for UT(which is CS for UT) but totaly suck at it cus of laggy gunfire.

You are right about all the lamers on CS. I have been playing CS sense beta 5, but ever sense CS went retail, all the low-iq-playstation-playing-cheatbook-buying-lamers-who-dont-know-how-to-download-a-****in-mod-gays have ****ed up the servers. All you have to do is get on the Punkbuster servers and the ones where the admins are on and add em to your favorites and then dont worry about it.

------------------
    800 Duron
    ASUS A7V-E
    128 PC133 SDRAM
    Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
    20 gig WD 5400 RPM
    DVD-ROM Delta (I know, El Cheapo brand!)
    17" IBM G72 @ 1024*768
    I/O Magic Surround SC
    56Krap
    800 Duron
    ASUS A7V-E
    128 PC133 SDRAM
    Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
    20 gig WD 5400 RPM
    17" IBM G72 @ 1024*768
    I/O Magic Surround SC
    56Krap

Oops, forgot. 15 to 30 fps was what I got on my 500 k6-2, not my new mobo and 800. I have yet to install it, because I forgot that it would not fit into my case. Can't afford until thursday.

------------------
    800 Duron
    ASUS A7V-E
    128 PC133 SDRAM
    Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
    20 gig WD 5400 RPM
    17" IBM G72 @ 1024*768
    I/O Magic Surround SC
    56Krap
    800 Duron
    ASUS A7V-E
    128 PC133 SDRAM
    Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
    20 gig WD 5400 RPM
    17" IBM G72 @ 1024*768
    I/O Magic Surround SC
    56Krap

Thread Information