Half Life worth a purchase??? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Half Life worth a purchase???

Originally posted by Huge:
    Did you finish the game tsunami_73.
    No...I got fed up with the part where you have to do stoopid pixel perfect jumps across some big empty room.

I payed $40 for it shortly after it came out, and I'd pay that much for it even today if I had to. The multiplayer mods for it are far more enjoyable than anything UT or Q3 has to offer, IMHO.

I also thought Half-Life was WAY overrated... I LOVED it for the the first hour I played it... but it grew so tiresome and annoying so quickly, that it ranks among the very few games I've ever bought that I didn't finish... it was wonderful out of the gate, but it waned horribly after that...

...in the end, I was just annoyed and dismayed at the juvenile repetitive and predictable nature of it all.

[This message has been edited by Baloneyflaps (edited 08-27-2000).]

Baloneyflaps......unless you're taking the proverbial , that's two of us. I thought I was the only one

Really Easy even on difficult, me and a freind can each clock in 6 hours with 2 deaths !

------------------
    "The More I Discover About Computing The Lesser I Know"

Adrenelin, a.d. 2000
    I only support two teams. Wales and everyone else England plays
    ICQ# 91149414
    AIM: AdrenelinY2K1

...I'm being quite honest, tsunami!

I remember very well running HL for the first time, and turning up my speakers and dimming my lights to settle in for the fabulous experience that was to be the vaunted Half-Life... and to be sure, immediately I was impressed. I was immersed... I was thrilled with the cinematic quality of the initial presentation... I was most joyed at the well crafted gaming experience that was unfolding before me... I was hooked for a long, and educating gaming experience.

So I thought.

Fine. I've got to get somewhere.

No problem.

Every third person told me: "Greetings, Gordon Freeman!"

Uh... yeah. Get out of the way.

Then, a crustacean jumped at me!!

I wack... dead crustacean... I go around the corner, and...

"Greetings, Gordon Freeman!"

Uh, right on, bother!

"Greetings, Gordon Freeman!"

BLAM BLAM!!

*sigh*

...nevermind...

I dont know what you are talking about SlingBlade, the multiplayer for Q3A and UT is way better than Hlaf Life.

------------------
    Mess with the best
    Die like the rest
    --Hackers
    -Acid Rain
    Mess with the best
    Die like the rest
    --Hackers
    -Acid Rain

Yes Half Life is worth the purchase. There are great mods that u can download off the net, like Counter Strike. Even though it may have been out for a long while, it's still one of the most played.

Ok lets settle this:

Best for deathmatch : UT
    Best for single player story and realism : HL
    Best co-op mod IMHO (which isn't worth much) : HL:Counter-strike (although I haven't played much tribes2 or Operation Flashpoint yet)

When it came out HL with its cinematic presentation and hollywood style story was ground breaking. Its still a good game, especially at the price it is now. I can relate to the posts which say it was boring. This is partially true, but the interesting mix of nicely designed environments makes up for the "Greetings, Gordon Freeman" element of the game. Also at the time the game came out the Enemy AI was pretty advanced. I am sure it might be sucky now but for 15 or 20 dollars or £14.99 its still an excellent buy.
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

If you don't have trouble with playing a game with outdated graphics, then H-L is an absolutly must buy. It was the best game ever made for the PC when it was released, and if you buy it, buy an edition as includes the best add-on ever made, Opposing force.
    As it is, at least for me, I wouldn't play a game with such outdated graphics. My copy collect dust in my bookcase.

Well I have to say if all that makes a game for you JMike is graphics then have a nice life playing some right lemons of games that look pretty but don't satisfy as a whole.
    Fine if there is a game that has stunning graphics, great gamplay and an addictive quality which usually means a plot, or some type of reward for doing well that encourages you to keep playing then thats great. But so many do not. So what if the graphics are not state of the art any more, the rest of HL (I play CS mostly) makes up for that. If you look at all the Amiga, Atari ST and even older system emulators that exist you can see that these emulated games which have really pathetic graphics are still of interest to people.

------------------
    -----------------------
    Athlon 1Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 Motherboard
    ASUS 8200 Geforce 3 Pure
    Aureal Vortex2 Quad
    3x 128Mb PC133
    Logitech i-Touch cordless key&mouse
    17" Monitor of unknown type
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

Good graphics aren't everything. I still sometimes play the great classics:
    Duke Nukem 3D, and Wolfenstein 3D.

These games are like 10 years old or something, but they paved the way for games such as HL, UT and the quake series. Lets face it, the graphics in these games are pretty lame by today's standards, but they are still VERY enjoyable and addictive games. Haven't completed Wolf3d, but I did complete Spear of Destiny (I think thats the name).

And Duke3d just makes me laugh. Everyone will always remember such comments as "Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shootin up my ride"

"Shake it baby"

"I'm gonna rip off your head and **** down your neck"

Can't help it, I think they are true classics

------------------
    I won't bore you with my system specs..
    I won't bore you with my system specs..

get HL, then get the mods, counter-strike, team fortress classic , Day of Defeat, Firearms, and action half-life. All awesome mods in case you get bored with HL. HL deam-match is fun 2

Originally posted by tsunami_73:
    Originally posted by Huge:
    Did you finish the game tsunami_73.
    No...I got fed up with the part where you have to do stoopid pixel perfect jumps across some big empty room.

Erm, there weren't any like this, not pixel perfect anyway. tomb raider was pixel perfect jumping. are you on about the room with the hanging crates or something? or the conveyors? at any rate there is a lot of room for error in jumping.

I'll admit that I'm no longer impressed by this game, I was when it came out but that was 3 years ago FFS!

I'm unimpressed by counter strike myself, deathmatch games are a good laugh but cs, dull, dull, dull.

[This message has been edited by Jas2k1 (edited 07-26-2001).]

Thread Information