Do admins have too much power?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Do admins have too much power?

Don't u just hate it when admins kick u off the server for absolutely no reason? Nowadays, I seem to find more and more servers with a welcome message when u join, especially in CS. N they all go sumthing like this. NO LAGGERS/56K, NO CAMPING, NO WHINING, NO *****ING AT ADMIN AND NO CHEATERS! OR U WILL BE PERMA BANNED! The other day I was playing on 1 server where if u killed the admin during gameplay, he would slap u down to 5 health! I mean WTF! There was another admin where he casted a vote to kick off a newbie with a score of 3-25. Or when admins kick off ppl suspected of hacking/cheating! That's what PunkBuster is 4!

I'm ok with admins that tweak the game settings, like in CS sum admins turn off free look so u cant spy on the other team, only urs. But when u tweak it to ur advantage(*cough* *cough* CS, C4 timer=15 secs) that's just plain cheating. Or sumtimes they tweak it so that u can buy a certain weapon like the Awp. I mean, y would u do that? Is it cause ur scare ur gonna be wasted by a person with an awp?

N that's my 2 cents on admins with too much power. Thanx!

Don't know about game Admins myself because I'm a 56K'er @ 33K most of the time

As far as Admins in general, I'd say Toolbox has far too much power but he's a GAWD!!

Originally posted by BladeRunner:
    Don't know about game Admins myself because I'm a 56K'er @ 33K most of the time

Dude,you have a water cooled GF3,an awesome digital camera and only Dialup

------------------
    Saving my wonderinguy34 1000th post till I get my new comp running

[This message has been edited by A.B.Normal (edited 07-22-2001).]
    Saving my wonderinguy34 1000th post till I get my new comp running

just because bandwith flows like water here in Canada for us, doesn't mean its the same everywhere in the world.

------------------
    Come visit Xibase Forums
    I'm not only a member, I'm also a moderator

http://www.xibase.com/vB/index.php

Oh, no 56K? Oh well, I guess no one is OZ is likely to crowd that server.

A.B.Normal

The tele-comunications network in the UK is more like a developing nation unfortunately. We have something called BT (British Telecom), that had a complete monopoly over it for years, and as such most of it is poor (unless you live in a city or large town).

I also live out in the country so unless I come across the odd £7 million to have a cable laid the 7 miles to my house from the nearest town I have no choice except a telephone modem, or moving house ATM

I'm not moving so I live with it, can't get ISDN, can't get ADSL, too far from the nearest exchange.

So when you moan at the 5 seconds it took for you to load one of my picture filled posts, just remember how long it took for me to upload it

Can't you get blueyonder or ntl?

If you have digital tv then broadband is only another 25 quid on top.

Surely norwich isn't still in the dark ages

Although, I drove through Norwich the other day and there were loads of people pointing at the sky. Seems there was a plane flying by.

[This message has been edited by Jas2k1 (edited 07-23-2001).]

I'm not actually in Norwich City, (but if I put where I was no one would have a clue.... Reymerston.... see what I mean ) all I have is Phone & power, no gas and I have my own water supply and Sewage.

All I can get where I am is a dedicated copper pair, (phone line). No cable and no other things will work because you need to be within 6 miles on the exchange. Digital TV only via a satellite dish.

And yes Norfolk is a time warp but I originate from London and I'd never go back there to live, the quality of life is so much better here.

I was hoping something would come of the Internet Via Power Lines as that would be much faster, but they must have had too many problems because it all went quiet?

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 07-23-2001).]

Originally posted by Axt:
    Don't u just hate it when admins kick u off the server for absolutely no reason? Nowadays, I seem to find more and more servers with a welcome message when u join, especially in CS. N they all go sumthing like this. NO LAGGERS/56K, NO CAMPING, NO WHINING, NO *****ING AT ADMIN AND NO CHEATERS! OR U WILL BE PERMA BANNED! The other day I was playing on 1 server where if u killed the admin during gameplay, he would slap u down to 5 health! I mean WTF! There was another admin where he casted a vote to kick off a newbie with a score of 3-25. Or when admins kick off ppl suspected of hacking/cheating! That's what PunkBuster is 4!

I'm ok with admins that tweak the game settings, like in CS sum admins turn off free look so u cant spy on the other team, only urs. But when u tweak it to ur advantage(*cough* *cough* CS, C4 timer=15 secs) that's just plain cheating. Or sumtimes they tweak it so that u can buy a certain weapon like the Awp. I mean, y would u do that? Is it cause ur scare ur gonna be wasted by a person with an awp?

N that's my 2 cents on admins with too much power. Thanx!
    The admins don't think so, and that's all that matters

I hate it when Admins on CS servers using admin mod use the admin_tsay or admin_csay commands to inform players where the opposition is just to hurry the end of the round up cause they are bored being dead...
    Really with the number of small children playing online now its not surprising that you get quite a few childish acts from admins.....

------------------
    -----------------------
    Athlon 1Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 Motherboard
    ASUS 8200 Geforce 3 Pure
    Aureal Vortex2 Quad
    3x 128Mb PC133
    Logitech i-Touch cordless key&mouse
    17" Monitor of unknown type
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

I've been kicked from servers before just for being in the #1 slot, or for fragging the ADMIN, i think that they should only use admin status when the gameplay is suffering, Ex: a repeat offender won't stop teamkilling/setting off grenades in respawn area. or NO ONE playing likes this map. But the sad truth is it's your server , you can do what you want with it, even if your too lame to win or even compete in a fair game.
    For every ten skillless ADMINs there is one or two good ones, and it's no coincidence that these are the servers that stick around and usually have more than two players on them.

------------------
    duron750abitkt7a256pc133herculesgeforce2mx32sb16pci40walteclansingwdc12gigudma66netgear10/100+routermotorolacablemodem

Thread Information