So what even happened to Total Annihilation 2?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: So what even happened to Total Annihilation 2?

So what even happened to Total Annihilation 2?

Who doesn't remember the game that set a new standard for how RTS gmaes were developed. Loved it and I still have it on my computer. Does anyone know if Cavedog just gave up on TA2 altogether? After the success of the orginial TA series they said the sequel would have a whoel bunch of new units including a 3D camera like Ground Control. Haven't heard a word for years and nothing on their website. Seems like they got the one hit they wanted and decided to retire on it. The had a couple of games they were developing that went by the wayside for one reason or another and are only releasing new units and patches for TA:Kingdoms. Can aybody give me a hint?

It all started with Cavedog, founded in 1995 by Ron Gilbert (of Monkey Island fame) and Shelley Day (a veteran of Lucas Arts and EA). In January 1996 they were joined by another EA escapee, Chris Taylor, who spent the next eighteen months developing the stunning real-time strategy game Total Annihilation. It was all downhill from there.
    In March 1998 Taylor left the company to form his own celebrity studio, Gas Powered Games, and three years later is still working on their debut title Dungeon Siege. After that Cavedog only managed to release a couple of Total Annihilation add-on packs and TA : Kingdoms, a fantasy spin-off. One by one their other projects were cancelled as it became obvious that the games were simply far too ambitious, until in February 2000 the company was closed down entirely and its remaining staff absorbed into parent company Humongous.
    From http://www.eurogamer.net/content/a_studiodeath

Waaaahhhh! I knew al long they were gone but just wanted someone to confirm it. When I heard Chris Taylor had left Cavedog I had the inkling that TA2 might be dead in the water. Damn shame, but maybe Humongous might consider bringing Taylor into the picture as a consultant to designing the sequel to TA. Taylor's Gas Powered Games could do the sequel under his supervision, but I don't see it happening as long as Humongous retains the rights. There is hope he might come out with a game likely to be the sequel to TA under a different name. Would be interesting to have a prequel with how the battle got started while the civilizations still existed.

Thread Information