Win2k problems with shared irq's - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Win2k problems with shared irq's

HastX, try the ACPI thing. It worked for me (back when I had win2k). Trying to get tribes working with 98. I didn't like the gaming performance I was getting with win2k, fps wouldn't go above 60, no matter what I set the refresh rate up to. With win 98 you could set it to optimum and I would get up to 100 fps and buttons weren't sticking, but the button thing might be because of latest tribes patch.

------------------
    tbird 1ghz
    geforce2 GTS/Geforce2 Pro
    64mb
    asus A7V VIAApollo KT133 Chipset
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se

Anitdaisu Guest
    demon ..did you turn off v sync for open gl?

------------------
    my specs:
    AMD T-BIRD 750MHz
    256MB RAM
    IBM 46 GB 7200 RPM
    SAMSUNG 2GB
    SONY CD ROM 48X
    PANASONIC 8X4X32
    REALTEK 10/100 ETHERNET
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE
    Leadtek GF2 Pro
    300W SUPPLY
    CAMBRIDGE FPS 1000
    17 " GEMSTAR
    PROMISE TECHNOLOGY ULTRA 66 CARD
    ABIT KT7
    WINDOWS 2000 W/ SP 1

No I didn't turn it off. Should I turn it off? I never messed with it before and it worked before. Its just that I have been going back and forth between operating systems (probably not a good idea, and a big headache at the same time). Each time it seems I run into some new problem. But hey, look on the bright side, these last few weeks I have learned more about computers than I would have ever learned otherwise .

------------------
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se

Anitdaisu Guest
    Try turning that thing off .it's supposed to give you significantly better framerates the thing with v sync is that the frame rates will be limited to hte vertical refresh rate of your monitor at the given resolution that you're playing under.

------------------
    my specs:
    AMD T-BIRD 750MHz
    256MB RAM
    IBM 46 GB 7200 RPM
    SAMSUNG 2GB
    SONY CD ROM 48X
    PANASONIC 8X4X32
    REALTEK 10/100 ETHERNET
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE
    Leadtek GF2 Pro
    300W SUPPLY
    CAMBRIDGE FPS 1000
    17 " GEMSTAR
    ABIT KT7
    WINDOWS 2000 W/ SP 1

My problem isn't fps though. My problem now, with with win98se is that tribes freezes a few seconds after I log in. This usually results in me having to ctrl alt delete to end task or reset.
    I'll try that though. Just want to get this working again. Already missed one match and would hate to miss another.
    ------------------
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se

[This message has been edited by DemonOfElru (edited 06-19-2001).]
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se

Anitdaisu Guest
    That's very unfortunate dude. I hope you figure out what's going on. have you tried messing w/ drivers for your video card as well as lan?

------------------
    my specs:
    AMD T-BIRD 750MHz
    256MB RAM
    IBM 46 GB 7200 RPM
    SAMSUNG 2GB
    SONY CD ROM 48X
    PANASONIC 8X4X32
    REALTEK 10/100 ETHERNET
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE
    Leadtek GF2 Pro
    300W SUPPLY
    CAMBRIDGE FPS 1000
    17 " GEMSTAR
    ABIT KT7
    WINDOWS 2000 W/ SP 1

DemonOfElru

I'm not familiar with your mobo. (but I'm sure others here are). A PCI mass storage device is a HDD on something like a Raid controller or an ata 100/66 controller when the mobo would normally only support lower than this.

The reason Win 98 can't find drivers is that the opperating system is older than your controller. You need to find out what type of controller it is and what bios level (version) you have to be able to get the best drivers from the net. If you haven't upgraded your bios (flashed it) then the drivers will be on the CD or floppy that came with your motherboard . They are normally made by either Highpoint or Promise.

If you do not want or need to use this controller disable it in the bios. You will only be able to use it if you have it enabled in the bios and you have the correct IDE cables plugged into the correct motherboard slots in the correct way (this is very important, check the manual). If any of this is wrong it wont be working correctly and the chances are you will be running in Dos compatibility mode which = slow.

Well, the ACPI didn't do it for me. I even tried the latest drivers that microsoft has to alledgedly help stop lockups. This is wierd, this machine ran great on '98, now it locks up any time I even think about starting a game. I'm going to try reinstalling the os w/ minimal hardware tonight, and see what that does.

Anyone have any other ideas, or should I go backto '98 too?

The full system is:

Asus A7V
    AMD 750 t-bird
    256 ram (simple tech)
    Jaton -riva tnt 2 vid. (also tried geforce2 mx with no difference)
    Montego 2 oem sound.

and if I get that to work:
    a cheap modem and network card

------------------
    We do precision guesswork.

Anitdaisu Guest
    hASTx..what patches do you have installed again>/

------------------
    my specs:
    AMD T-BIRD 750MHz
    256MB RAM
    IBM 46 GB 7200 RPM
    SAMSUNG 2GB
    SONY CD ROM 48X
    PANASONIC 8X4X32
    REALTEK 10/100 ETHERNET
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE
    Leadtek GF2 Pro
    300W SUPPLY
    CAMBRIDGE FPS 1000
    17 " GEMSTAR
    ABIT KT7
    WINDOWS 2000 W/ SP 1

I think all of you here who have issues with WIN2K and slam it, need to realize that in a networked environment IRQ mapping is a must. Why does WIN2K PRO map most devices to two or so IRQ's? Think about devices your clients would have that require IRQ's in a large business network. I manage a network for 600+ clients and with so many devices at each clients desk, ME or WIN98 can even stomache the load. Folks, WIN2K is for business use. I know many of you use PRO because of its stability, but hey, it's not a gaming os. It's like making a Chevy Chevette to run with a Corvette. It's comparing apples to oranges or WIN98 to 2KPRO. While I to use WIN2K PRO to run QIII, I know other than a few shooters if I want a gaming OS, I will have to look elsewhere.

Just my .02

A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A, MCP/2K, MCP+I, MCSE/NT4
    Systems Administrator

Anitdaisu Guest
    yeah ..that's why I usually stress that if 99% of the games you play work on win2k then go to it. If the other way around then don't bother unless you really need the stability and then set up a dual boot if not willing to give up your games and stuff.

------------------
    my specs:
    AMD T-BIRD 750MHz
    256MB RAM
    IBM 46 GB 7200 RPM
    SAMSUNG 2GB
    SONY CD ROM 48X
    PANASONIC 8X4X32
    REALTEK 10/100 ETHERNET
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE
    Leadtek GF2 Pro
    300W SUPPLY
    CAMBRIDGE FPS 1000
    17 " GEMSTAR
    ABIT KT7
    WINDOWS 2000 W/ SP 1

I got tribes running with win98 again, still no drivers for pci thing but I will look on internet. Really not sure what I did, messed with some stuff in bios, and it worked. Think I changed graphics appeture size and something else. Sorry can't remember.

HastX your problem was shared irq's right? have you tried disabling plug and play OS in bios and removing the driver for acpi? after you remove the acpi driver go in list of available drivers and istall the standard PC driver. Were you able to change the irq's? If you did all this and it doesn't change the irq's and it won't let you change it yourself then I don't know what to tell you.

------------------
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se

Silicon Scream

Your points are valid and true. I just don't se why it cannot let you pre-select the IRQ's in the bios if you want with APCI active. For instance when 2k is installed the basic VGA is on a separate IRQ (5 last time). great! But as soon as it gets the proper driver, (becomes specific hardware), it changes IRQ to 11 or 9 with almost everything else including the SoundBlaster, hence the sound issue I have.

IF with ACPI putting everything on one or two IRQ's was absolutely fool proof, then the option to set IRQ's yourself would be unnecessary. As it is not then all I would like is for it not to totally Ignore the bios IRQ instructions I set. Why have 7 things sharing, when 5 IRQ's are free? Seems silly to me regardless whether it's a gaming O/S or not.

Demon, When I first installed 2000, everything seemed to go smooth, until i tried a game. As soon as I started a game, I lost sound, and then afew minutes later the pc locked up.

Although device manager / hardware properties showed no problems or conflicts, I noticed most hardware sharing IRQ 9. That is when I noticed this thread.

Since then, I have tried removing ACPI, and going with standard pc, and reinstalled all drivers. In both configurations, the pc reacts the same. I have disabled plug & play in BIOS.

Last night I reformatted and reinstalled the 2000 w/ NTFS, under "standard PC" configuration, plug and play disabled. Again, install was smooth with no issues, but the pc acts the same.

Anitdaisu, I have tried the latest dx8.0a drivers, as well as the patch from this link I have not tried the 4 in 1 yet because they alledgedly conflict with these drivers.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q261/6/06.asp

Here's the low down:
    1. Ive installed 2000 on 3 machines at work and all are stable (though i've not tried any games on them)

2. I've tried 2 different video cards.

3. I've tried both ACPI and standard pc, which is the current config.

4. The pc seems to work fine for basic applications, but not games.

5. I dont think it is a hardware issue, because it all worked fine under win 98, and everything is listed on microsoft's HCL.

6. the pc does take a while to boot up.

7. plug and play is disabled

I kind of like using win2k, I just hope I can get it to work

------------------

ankersonj Guest
    I think it has more to do with the hardware you are useing. I am running Win 2000pro and have no issues what so ever with the IRQ issue.

The Soundblasters as good as the are are a real pain in the neck with some motherboards.

Here is the run down on my system's IRQ's

System Information report written at: 06/20/2001 08:00:00 PM
    [IRQs]

IRQ Number Device
    9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    9 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro
    9 Accton EN1207D Series PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    9 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
    9 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
    9 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443
    9 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444
    9 SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio