Win2k problems with shared irq's
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win2k problems with shared irq's

Hybrid View

Win2k problems with shared irq's

Just installed win2k a couple days ago and now I can't get games to work. I'm pretty sure of what the problem is but I don't know how to fix it. I'm pretty sure the problem is that my video card, sound card, network card, and some other stuff is all sharing the same irq. The problem is I can't find anyway to change this. This is probably because I don't know my way around win2k yet. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
    tbird 1ghz
    asus A7V VIAApollo KT133 Chipset
    640mb pc133 ram
    currently win2k professinal
    tbird 1ghz
    geforce2 GTS/Geforce2 Pro
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se

The irq sharing is what it's supposed to do if it's setup as acpi. Usually it's not a problem. Check this post http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/003415.html and it's also covered in the Geforce faq'swhere it details how to change it. Don't be suprised if it doesn't help though. What games are you trying to play?

tribes 2 and anarchy online beta4

------------------
    tbird 1ghz
    640mb pc133 ram
    currently win2k professinal
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se

Have you updated the VIA 4 in 1 drivers?

I figured it out, that link to the geforce faq solved things for me. I guess win2k runs something called acpi and that causes multiple things to share the same irq. The faq said to disable pnp OS in bios and then to remove the drivers for acpi and change it to standard PC. It worked and games are working again. Thanks for all the help

------------------
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    640mb pc133 ram
    currently win2k professional
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se

Glad you got it working

That is other thing that really annoys me with 2K. Yes It is supposed to be able to manage the IRQ assignment, but it doesn't.

In the many times I've tried 2K, once it put nearly every piece of hardware on one IRQ, Consequently I had slow glitchy 3D and weird SoundBlaster Live issues. Why It cannot be overridden with the bios IRQ settings even when using ACPI I'll never know.

I am trying 2K once again very soon, and I suppose I'll just disable ACPI before I start, as I absolutely want the Graphics card on it's own IRQ even if theoretically it is supposed to be ok sharing with a SB live.

Anitdaisu Guest
    I don't know what is going one w/ everyone
    s setup these days. I'm running fine w/ acpi on my kt7 machine. My graphics card performs rather well w/ acpi. It's all about a motherboard's ability to support and implement acpi. As stated by 2cpu's review of this one tyan board. It was talking about how bad that board's acpi support wasn't up to par

------------------
    my specs:
    AMD T-BIRD 750MHz
    256MB RAM
    IBM 46 GB 7200 RPM
    SAMSUNG 2GB
    SONY CD ROM 48X
    PANASONIC 8X4X32
    REALTEK 10/100 ETHERNET
    SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE
    Leadtek GF2 Pro
    300W SUPPLY
    CAMBRIDGE FPS 1000
    17 " GEMSTAR
    PROMISE TECHNOLOGY ULTRA 66 CARD
    ABIT KT7
    WINDOWS 2000 W/ SP 1

My point is why? why have 16 devices on 2 IRQ's? especially when there are plenty more IRQ's left over doing nothing useful. Even if it suppose to work it sometimes just doesn't. If it isn't able to organise this effectively itself, then for god sake allow user manual settings. The IRQ manual settings are in the bois and work with 98SE and ACPI, but this ignored by 2K for some reason, It just puts most the things on the same IRQ. My experiance is Geforce cards and SoundBlaster's never get on well on the same IRQ but with 2K and ACPI I cannot separate them.

This is on a Abit KT7-A raid but I had similar issues with win 2K and A Pentium based Abit BE6 r2.

Maybe it's an Abit thing but it's also 2K related.

I've got ACPI enabled and I'm running fine in WinMe and win2k. Non ACPI devices are automatically assigned spare IRQs, and I've had absolutely no IRQ problems on this mobo I've got 5 cards in this PC, plus the embedded Promise card and USB controllers.

------------------
    Asus A7V
    AXIA T-Bird 1GHz @ 1.266GHz
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

grovers system sounds like mine. I've had no problems either. That's why I said in my first answer not to be suprised if going to non acpi didn't help. Lot's of times the problem lies elsewhere.

Disabling the ACPI worked for me. I got a new problem now. I didn't like the performance I was getting with win2k so I reinstalled win98se. Everything seems to be working fine except tribes 2. Anarchy Online is working along with the few other games I play. The video card is sharing irq 11 with the acpi place holder for irq steering (what this is I don't know). This same irq steering is shared on a couple other irq's too. Then the other thing that might be wrong is that the computer can't find a driver for the PCI mass storage device.

------------------
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se

I'm trying 2K again and my god it's actually working ok .... well nearly. So far Q3 looks ok and I've not had any mouse wheel issues. I'm using a Razor Boomslang now though, so maybe it was to do with the Intellimouse Explorer.

It would be about right that Microsoft hardware and or software wont work properly with Microsoft opperating systems

I still have a slight occasional sound glitch with the SB live, (and I still think this is due to multi IRQ sharing because of the ACPI).

I also spent most of the day stuck at 75hz v refresh. nvreffix would not work but powerstrip does "solve" it. Isn't it about time this win 2k refresh rate crap is solved properly in the service packs, apparently XP suffers this as well.

DemonOfElru

Sharing an IRQ with PCI steering is ok. With regards to the PCI mass storage device, are you using a Raid or ATA 66/100 controller? If no dissable it in the bios. If yes you need to install the drivers for it and they need to match the mobo bios version.

I was just pulling my hair out, trying to figure out why everything is on IRQ 9.

I installed win2k on 3 pc's without a problem, then when I do it on mine (A7V, AMD 750, TNT 2, etc), nothing works. The sound goes first, and then UT completely locks up the machine.

Oh well, when I get home, I'll look into that. At least now I know a better direction to look, I thought I had some incompatible harware, but then, I saw everything on the HCL.

------------------
    We do precision guesswork.
    We do precision guesswork.

Im not sure what im using (raid or ata 66/100). Just read in Motherboard booklet about UltraDMA/100 support, not sure if thats what you mean. How can I find out what im using? Also, where would I get the driver for the PCI mass storage thing? When I had win2k It found the driver on my motherboard driver CD but with win98se its not doing that. With win98se it says that the driver cannot be found.

------------------
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram
    back to win98se
    tbird 1ghz
    64mb
    704mb pc133 ram