Having my own Tribes2 problems....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having my own Tribes2 problems....

Having my own Tribes2 problems....

Actually I only have two problems:
    1. I can't get the solo mode to run, it loads but right before it goes to the actual game screen, i get booted back to the desktop without an error message. I can play online though so thats why i'm a little confused by this.
    2. How come no matter what type if armor i pick in the game setup screen i always get only light armor, is this something that changes with experience? I tried changing drivers for my video card but that didn't work.

------------------
    AMD Duron 700MHz, BCM-bc133kt, 256mbRAM,
    Annihilator 2, Soundblaster LIVE!,Windows ME
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm
    Athlon XP1600 @1.4 GHz,Asus A7V266-E, 256mb DDR-RAM,
    Annihilator 2, Soundblaster LIVE!,Windows XP
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

Ok, first if you're going to try to insult someone please at least spell the insult correctly, it's L-O-S-E-R. Got it? Next I was trying to get to the training mode to learn how to play the game, but thanks anyways. And sorry not everyone is as cool you.

------------------
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

[This message has been edited by Chilly3 (edited 06-05-2001).]
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

Well said Chilly3. Well said indeed.
    Whats the point in going into an online game and not knowing how to play the game, sure you can point and shoot, but getting killed all the tinme sucks and could put someone off the game.
    Chilly3: When you are playing Tribes2, if you press the enter on the numeric keypad then you will get a screen to come up, and you can choose what armorments your want, ie weapon loadout and armor. Then when you have chosen, go into an inventory station and it will give you your selection. Sometimes going to a deployable inventory station won't give you what your after. Best to go to the ones you start with (if any).
    Have you done the online updater thing?
    When you go to the solo matches can you get into a Lan game with a few bots?
    Is anything overclocked (annihilator?) what version of drivers do you have?
    Post back and i'll try to help.
    BW

I've played this game for awhile now, and while I do enjoy it, I suck at it I was pretty good at UT and Q3A and Half Life, but I constantly get my butt kicked in Tribes 2. The whole jet packing thing is a mystery to me and I just can't seem to hit anyone (though everyone seems to be able to hit me). I usually just go for a bomber and try to get someone to pilot it for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------
    “When a team doesn't double me, it's like they're disrespecting my game.”

-Shaquille O'neal
    "We're going to get another one next year, again -- back to back to back."

-Kobe Bryant

Yeah the whole jet pack thing was crazy for me at first but then I decided to just try and learn the controls for a little bit although my base kept getting destroyed...oh well, i first tried the 10.70 drivers but then went down to the 6.50, but from what i understand is that the 6.xx aren't optimized for directx8 so which one's would be good? Nothing is overclocked. And yes i updated the updater (never heard of having to do that) and the game. I can't even get into the solo game, i haven't tried a LAN game, the only time i can play is when I play online, it's wierd to me. Thats why i don't think its my drivers because it plays fine on high resolution in an online game. Also is it better to play in OpenGL or in direct 3d?

------------------
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

Terence: once you get used to the jetpack, i reckon you'll love it. Its great for getting away from or into battle. Especially when you are trying to evade grenades or Another trick is skiing. Holding down the jump button while going downhill, great fun. Jumping when your about to use your jetpack will sometimes (if done right) give you more lift in your flight.
    When in battle, however, and you have the Juggernaut armor your energy will be sapped quickly by the jetpack. Strafing and skiing (where possible) along with short bursts of jetpacks to avoid grenades and the like is the best way to go.
    For close combat a chaingun and a few grenades are the way to go for a juggernaut, i reckon. a few fusion mortars (not too close to yourself) are great fun.
    I'm sure other people will have different ideas... I can't speak for online play, just Lan play against a few friends. and a couple of bots.
    Other than that the Jetpack is great for getting around the place quickly. Especially up hills or to platforms. I got used to it really quickly, and now i try and jetpack in Q3A i end up changing to the next weapon!
    One tip, be careful when using a jetpack near an enemy base, as you are an easy target for someone with a rocket launcher! (found that out the hard way!!)

I never played tribes one. I did the training missions to get the hang of it all and then been playing Lan of late till i get DSL!!
    If you want any other tips terence, email me and i'll let you know anything you want to know.
    Chilly3: I use the 12.40 drivers and they seem to work alright. But your probably right, it doesn't seem to be a problem in online play. Have you tried reinstalling Tribes2?
    Try to start a lan game (against a few bots) and see if you can get in there. It may help us out.
    it is definately strange that it only happens in the solo training.
    BW

[This message has been edited by But_Why (edited 06-05-2001).]

Thanks for the advise. I'll try it out. I really miss the one shot head shot kill they have in most fps games. The laser rifle is pretty lame imho.

------------------
    “When a team doesn't double me, it's like they're disrespecting my game.”

-Shaquille O'neal
    "We're going to get another one next year, again -- back to back to back."

-Kobe Bryant

Tell me about it!! Specially if you get shot in the head!!! I miss that greatly.
    For online play, a Scout armor, energy pack and the spinfusor is a good combination. Still difficult to kill people in the air, but it can be done. You will need to get used to flying as it is a MAJOR advantage if you can.
    I kept getting killed by these fast buggers while i was in the Juggernaut. Not good.

But at least i'm online.
    BW

I had the hardest time in the world getting into a vehicle, i kept jumping and trying to get in but i couldn't pisses me off. oh well. The light armor is good but if you get cornered then you're screwed, and yes the jaggernaut armor sux cause YOU CAN"T MOVE! I like the assault armor personally. It's a happy medium, i still wish i could get into the solo mode to refine my skills but oh well.

------------------
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

I think they deleted that one post before mine. Hmm, i didn't even notice it.

------------------
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

Play a Lan game against bots.. Thats a good way to refine your skills. Make sure their difficulty is pretty high though or its not worth it.
    BW

What kinda CD-Rom do you have? Have you applied any kinda No-CD Patches?
    Where does it get to when its loading? Loading Mission - loading objects - lighting mission?
    or after that... just before the cuts scene or just after?
    Quote from Tribes2 site

There are systems that have a conflict between some of their components and the new copy protection software (SecuROM) used with this game. Specifically the issues are with the CD-ROM drive, sound card, and some of the maintenance suite software packages.
    and
    The "Hourglass" problem can also result from conflicts with outdated or incompatible driver software for the sound or video card. Always be sure that the computer has the latest drivers for the video card and sound card. Drivers are frequently updated to keep the hardware current and to fine tune performance.
    Dunno if that helps Chilly. Its pretty basic stuff.
    Oh BTW i have it running in OpenGL. Have you tried both D3D and OpenGL? Does it do the same in both?

BW

I guess your soundcard isn't the problem since you can play online I guess I cant help you Actually, just try what But_Why has told ya, and if that doesnt work, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

------------------
    Athy 700@800 1.65v
    Abit KA7
    128meg PC133 7.5ns can do 160@CAS3
    Asus V7700 Pure 32meg (215+?/366+?)
    IBM 75GXP 45gb
    WD 10.2GB 7200rpm ATA66
    Diamond MX300
    Toshiba SD-M1402 (12x dvd/40x cd)
    Plextor 8/4/32 CD-RW
    3COM 56k hardware modem (just incase)
    SMC 10mpbs ISA NIC (for DSL)
    Intel P4C 3.0Ghz
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
    2x256mb Corsair Value Select PC3200
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800
    WD 120gb SE
    IBM 60GXP 60gb
    Creative Labs Audigy (free)
    Toshiba SD-M1402 (12x dvd/40x cd)
    Lite-On 52x24x52 ($15 retail )
    Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW
    ThermalTake Silent Purepower 420W PSU

I have a Philips cdr/rw drive, i've tried D3D, OpenGL, new drivers for both everything, the game loads fine but right after it cuts out to the game is when i get booted. LAN doesn't even work i tried that, but with LAN it was different, I was in observer mode and when i clicked to get into the normal mode is when i got booted. I uninstalled too with no luck.

------------------
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

by the way whats the difference between the OpenGl install and the regular install? cause i just use the regular one. One more thing, i might know whats wrong with it, when i played it for the first time it was on my old hard drive, but recently i upgraded to the one i currently have, this time around i downloaded the newest 4in1 drivers for my VIA chipset, but on my old hard drive i had a different version, could that be it? If so how do i uninstall the ones i have now?

------------------
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm
    30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

Thread Information