Get kicked to desktop in Q3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Get kicked to desktop in Q3

Get kicked to desktop in Q3

When my wife plays Q3, no matter what server she's in, after about 20 minutes or so all of a sudden the game quits and she's back at her desktop. This has been happening for a few weeks. She formatted a couple days ago and put a nice fresh install of Win2k on and it still happens. She has the same lan card I do and we're both hooked to the cable modem through a hub. I also run Win2k and we both have Geforce 2's. We both have Q3 patched to 127h yet she's the only one having this problem. Any ideas?

do you have anything overclocked? sounds like a overheating problem.

BUMP

no sleevo, nothings overclocked on her machine. It did it with the old V3/2000 and now with the Asus V7100. She even formatted after installing the Asus (due to other bugs) and did a fresh install of the OS and Q3.

Have you tried removing all background tasks (except Systray and Explorer) using Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

You can't remove all background tasks in Win2000. Besides, she has the same services running that I do.

maybe you should try running Q3 in win98. i had many problems with UT running in win2k (VERY slow framerates with gts2, 500+ping, couldn't connect to servers, general protection faults), but my friend didn't. we have almost the same setup, but his ran flawlessly. however, when i switched back down to win98, all the problems disappeared and i ran 60+fps framerates with all the servers working. i dunno, just must be bad luck or something, but try dualbooting 98se and if the problems still isn't fixed, then screw 98se and i have no idea.
    MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

Thanks for the suggestion but we just got rid of the dual setup. It's no big deal. It'll work itself out sooner or later

Thread Information