Fried my moniter!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Fried my moniter!!

Hybrid View

Fried my moniter!!

WOW does that suck or what? I was playing a game of Q-IIIa when My 20' compaq q-200 went black.
    The next thing I saw was a wisp of smoke coming out of the vented area on the back top of it and I knew it was bad. BOO HOO!!

Bummer! What happened?
    KilrB's PC
    Abit NF7-S Rev2
    XP2100+ @ 200x11.5 2300Mhz
    512MB Corsair XMS Platnium PC3200 Ultra Low Latency CAS222
    Tyan Tachyon G9700 Pro w/Zalman ZM80a-HP Heatpipe
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

"Fat, Drunk and Stupied is now way to go threw life Son!" Quote: Dean Wormer.... Animal House

I think I just got a bad run of luck. I bought it about two years ago at a show from a dealer who sells refurbs. I can't complain too much 'caus it was only $200.00
    for a 20'er that was'nt bad back then. It also had a great picture too! It had Four RGB cords instead of the 15 pin output so I think it was from some kind of professional work system before it was givin up 9 probably an off lease unit). The thing kickes *** for the money so I'm kinda bummed but I have an excuse to get something new now. I think I'll get a Hitachi 19"er.
    I'm not out of a moniter now 'cause I'm using a 17" Dell trinitron for now and it's quite good. As for the burn-out, I think that 10 houres a day of 1024x 768 @ 85 hz killed it over time. This doesn't sound too demanding by todays standards but this moniter must have been at least five years old and was extremely expensive new. Five years is like the stone age for the P C

yup, that has happened to me before, except mine was a brand-new mitsubishi diamondtron 19". it was only a few months old, i pressed on the power button, the regular surge of power with a buzz, but this time, it popped and a smell of smoke filled the room.

now, i leave my monitor on all the time when my computer is on.

good luck with your new monitor!

MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

About three years ago I had an 15"er that, well, decided to get grumpy and choke itself to death. I was working in Windows, and all of a sudden the things starts to make a buzzing noise and then shuts off. Nothing, nudda, that beast put itself down. I still don't know what happened, and the noise it emmited was quite surprising to say the least!

------------------
    The bigger your hard drive, the sooner you'll need to add more space!
    XP 1700
    WBK38 w/Sanyo Denko 92MM fan
    Asus A7V133 rev7
    256PC133
    Quantum 7200 ATA-100 20GB
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB
    SB Live MP3+ 5.1
    Creative Annihilator 2 GeForce2 GTS 32MB
    CTX 21"

Well, I guess it isn't all that uncommon. I did some reading and found that I may indeed have been correct in that I was using too high a refresh for too long.
    Apparently the refresh rate has an effect on the amount of heat that is produced by the moniter. My next one will have to be able to do 1600x1200 @85hzs so if I run 1024x768
    @85-100hz, I'll be in a safe zone.

Look here for a recent monitor discussion (if you haven't already).

As I've said there, I recommend the CTX PR960F, it's the one I have, it's excellent. It does 85Hz@1600x1200 like you wanted and actually does 120Hz@1024x768 instead of 85-100 like you said. It's absolutely tops

------------------
    AMD T-Bird 1.1Ghz
    Chaintech 7AJA MoBo
    256Mb PC100Mhz RAM
    Geforce 2 Ultra 64Mb
    19" .24dp FD Trinitron Flat CRT Monitor
    Creative Soundblaster Live!
    Cambridge Soundworks Surround Speakers
    38Gb 7200rpm Maxtor HDD
    16x DVD Rom
    8x8x32 CD-RW
    Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse
    Zoom 56k External v92
    AMD T-Bird 1.1Ghz
    Chaintech 7AJA MoBo
    384Mb PC133Mhz RAM
    Geforce 2 Ultra 64Mb
    19" .24dp FD Trinitron Flat CRT Monitor
    Creative Soundblaster Live! - Cambridge Soundworks Surround Speakers
    76Gb 7200rpm IBM HDD - 16x DVD Rom - 8x8x32 CD-RW
    Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse
    Zoom 56k External v92

For anyone interested, That loud nasty buzzing sound was probably the high voltage transformer Arcing to the chassis. It almost gave my wife a heart attack when it happened to her monitor. She though the PC was struck by Lightning.

Ventilation is the key to a monitors well being. NEVER have anything sitting on top or blocking any vents. Make sure there is at least a couple of inches around all sides. There are lots of heat generating parts in a monitor so it needs air circulation.

------------------
    I think I used to know that but I forgot.
    I think I used to know that but I forgot.

Thread Information