-Yamaha YSTM8 speakers (4)
    -Yamaha YSTMW10 Sub woofer
    -Princeton EO70 17” monitor
    -Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
    -Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    -Windows 98 SE

My question is I saw Unreal with the return
    to Napali pack for $20.00 will it run as good
    as UT on my machine? Thanks for any info.

------------------
    Can't think of anything good, right now.
    Note to self;
    Have to get a cool signature.

Of course it will! Unreal is older than Unreal Tournament. If you can run UT just fine then the same will be true for Unreal. The question is why would you want to buy Unreal after playing UT?

I never played it when it came out and hear it is excellent. I hear that Dues Ex is
    good too, but a lot of people seem to have grief getting it to run properly. Thanks for the info.

------------------
    Note to self;

Unreal has a much better single player mode than UT. If you are more interested in multi-player or on-line games then UT is probably best for you.

------------------
    If pro is the opposite of con, What is the opposite of progress ?

I play both and maybe I'm in the minority but at times I like Unreal better. Just seems to run a bit smoother for me and 8 ball seems to fire faster and more acurate. Maybe it's because Unreal was the first game that I really got into. Don't know. Anybody else like Unreal over UT?

Originally posted by ru1thirst:
    Anybody else like Unreal over UT? [/B]
    Me too! The reason is I generally like the single player experience (getting drawn in the game, becoming the character) more than multiplayer. Single player is more tactical than fast action.
    Apart from that I only have bad dial up, so MP isn't much fun.

------------------
    It never rains but it pours...

Unreal has a better atmosphere than UT IMO. the DM is manic, and the single-play maps are awesome AND you can bust through them with a friend in co-op. if i had to choose between UT, and Unreal i wouldnt hesitate and opt for Unreal.

I'd agree with you except for 1 thing. Even though Unreal is slightly older than UT, the graphics in Unreal are far inferior (with a Voodoo3 3000 AGP at least)... as you know, the series was optimized for GLIDE support. Unreal just cannot compare with visual effects by any means. That alone is reason enough for me to have uninstalled Unreal for the third time already... sometimes I get urges I do like some of the Unreal maps as well as the single player mode though.

One more question most of you are saying the
    single player Unreal is fantastic how would it compare to Half-Life? I am still a little
    concerned about Unreal being made for Glide,
    does the latest patch or update use OpenGL or
    Direct3D? I agree with the point about single player being more tactical. However
    it is riots to slaughter strangers online in
    UT.

------------------
    Note to self;

Half-Life also has a very good single player mode. It has a number of differences from Unreal but also some similarities. If you like single player games I recommend getting them both since they are currently available at low prices (under 20 I think.)

I have a 700MHz Athlon and a GF2 MX and both games run great for me. I play Unreal in DirectX mode with the 2.26 patch and use 1024x768 and have no problems.

------------------

I have a Geforce256 and 2-Voodoo2s in SLI mode, and Unreal will not look as nice on the Geforce in OpenGL as in Glide. In Glide, Unreal has just the right gamma and color rendition, and the opening sequence with the castle is silky smooth.

On the Geforce, OpenGL gives good color saturation but it is too dark, and even using the brightness slider does not help. The opening sequence is jerky when the camera pans to the sky at the castle entrance, even when I had my Geforce256 overclocked to 245/345 and was getting 5300 in 3DMark2000 (I get 2311 on the Voodoo2s). That's why you cannot just go by the 3DMark2000.

UT has probably been color corrected for Geforce cards, and I can hardly see the difference between the Geforce and Voodoo2s, despite people claiming it looks better on Glide. Same with QuakeIII Arena, interestingly enough. But almost every other game I've run, gamma and overall visual quality goes to the Voodoo2 hands down. I just installed Slave Zero last night, and while it looks very close on the Geforce, the color is more vibrant and cleaner on the Voodoo2s, and it is using some sort of Ecstasy engine. Wow, gorgeous game on Glide.

I got UT this week and I wait to play it at home this weekend to compare it with the original. I also got Return to Na Pali mission pack. For now Unreal is my favorite FPS in both online and single player, but like I said I will play UT this weekend so this might change. Still, the atmosphere in Unreal is incredible...

Netranger1: Yes, the latest patch enable OpenGL ans D3D support, so you would be easily able to play it on your GTS

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Netranger,
    Half-Life has a lot of scripted sequences: things happen that you can watch or try to interfere. Also some dialogs, and sidekicks that help you ( guards, scientists). Unreal is a more straightforward shooter.

------------------
    It never rains but it pours...

Put me in the list of those that loved the original Unreal. I just thought the storyline was excellent, and there's always that surprise factor where you never know what kind of creature you're going to come up against next. For it's time, it had great graphics too, and the terrain was fantastic. I just wish they would come out with a new episode of Unreal that's geared more for single-player again. Anybody know if this is ever going to happen? I'm tired of being confined to buildings...give me the big landscapes anyday.

Supposedly, Unreal 2 will have a strong single player story line. Who knows when it will be out though. Hopefully they use the new engine technology because it has excellent terrain capabilities. The demo movie of it was amazing.

------------------

Thread Information