I have an old apache flight simulator, anyone know how to get it started in dos,
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I have an old apache flight simulator, anyone know how to get it started in dos,

I have an old apache flight simulator, anyone know how to get it started in dos,

It is called APACHE The Combat Helicopter Simulator.

Any suggestions. It says I can also network this to other computers for duals. Any help on that would be appreciated also. Also don't laugh!

ol' man
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    32mb Hercules 3d Prophet II MX dual display
    256mb pc133 cas2 super pc
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

That's not too old... !
    Some DOS games will not work in WIN95/98/ME. What you may have to do is make a 'boot disk'. That way, you boot into DOS via floppy, and you can run your DOS game from there. Incidentally, is that game on CD? If so, you're gonna need some DOS drivers for the CD-ROM. Also, you're gonna need to write your own Autoexec.BAT and Config.sys. If you're lucky enough to have a game that WILL work in WIN95/98/ME, then you can just go to the DOS command window and run it from there.

------------------
    The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is.............42

I have two half gig HDs. I also have win 3.1. I think I may just boot win 3.1 on em' and run that OS when I want to play this then. Thanks for the info.

On a side note you also confused me abit about the whole auto exec. config. sys. stuff. I was basically asking what I need to know to get it to run from dos. This since I am going to be installing win 3.1 and going from there. What are the commands to get it to run from disc. I also need to install this into my system.

Thanks for you time!
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    32mb Hercules 3d Prophet II MX dual display
    256mb pc133 cas2 super pc
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

Okay...NOW I get it... . Go into the DOS window, and get to the directory that has the game. Looks like this:
    C:\windows>cd\
    c:\>
    c:\>cd\"name of directory"\
    c:\>name of 'exe' file.

Be sure to check out the names of the directories after you are in DOS mode, because there is a limitation in name size. ALSO, if it is in a subdirectory, you'll have to do something like this:

c:\windows>cd\
    c:\>cd\"name of main directory"\
    c:\"name of main directory">cd "name of subdirectory"
    c:\"name of main directory"\"name of subdirectory">"name of 'exe' file"

The autoexec.bat and config.sys files are part of the startup you see when you boot into WIN95/98/ME/NT. It was also used in DOS, and you NEED those files on a bootable floppy in order to go into DOS only mode, as DOS is command-line driven. Do NOT use the F8 menu to go into command line only, as this will not work for most games because you won't load all of your drivers.

Are you installing this game from floppies... . As I said earlier, if you're installing from CD, then you'll need to make a boot disk with Autoexec.bat and config.sys...Phew. If you've never done that before, then you'll have to get in touch with some of the older crowd here, as I forgot how...

------------------

Thread Information