PS2 is vaporware! My persoanal release experience.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PS2 is vaporware! My persoanal release experience.

PS2 is vaporware! My persoanal release experience.

I pre-purchased the system over 12 weeks ago. "How much?" I ask. "Ten dollars" he tells me. "hmm I want to be sure to get one..I give him $50.00. Last week I hear that only the people who paid the full 299.00 4 weeks ahead of time were getting a system. I call Eletronics Boutique..scott tells me "yes its true...we may have one for you early December". So I think, no problem I will hit a midnight sale on the 25th.

I go to Walmart....the guy says "we didnt get our shipment"...on my way out I hear the manager say "we have 4". I look back and see the employess and cronies hording around some suspicious looking packages.

I go to Best Buy...they supposedly were gettting 148. There were three pickup trucks pulled up to the door. People laying on the ground...a grill on the sidewalk, and even a cooler...."CAMPERS".

I go to Super k..."cool" I think...no one here. I round the corner and see 20 people laying on the floor. I go to an employee and she tells me they go on sale in the morning (they had 15).

I go to the Walmart across town. There is a line. I get in (by now Im kinda late). The sign says they had 33 units. 10 minutes later everyone starts walking off. Sold out!! I call target from walmart.. "be here at 8:00 we have 18 units. The walmart emplyoee tells me they are not suppose to open until 10:00 and he doesnt understand why she tole me they would be open at 8.

F**k this is the next thing that goes through my mind. December it is. So much for "putting down 50 bucks to make sure you get one". Thats the last f**king time I prepurchse anything. What a waste of time!!

[This message has been edited by Necessary Evil (edited 10-26-2000).]

I bought 2 of them at different places here in town and turned around and sold them for $500 each,and it only took me one day to sell them,after everybody was out people were going nuts, i probably could have gotten alot more.

sheep are what we are.....what a pathetic time of year. media hype, rage, jacked adrenaline, all to get a toy.......but "Hey, my cars bigger that your car".

this means nothing.

A lot of my friends are getting into this whole PS2 hype and some are even camping out overnight to get one. Me, I'll wait until I can just walk into the store and get one. There aren't any really good games out yet and like most people here I presume, I've got a full time job which doesn't allow me to call in sick because I had to wait in line for some new gaming console

------------------
    "Strike first, strike hard, no mercy sir!"

-Cobra Kai
    "We're going to get another one next year, again -- back to back to back."

-Kobe Bryant

Buy me, Best Buy had 223,
    Kmart 5,
    Target 37,
    The Wiz, 32 (suposedly was not handing out today)

Out of curiosity and maybe a little hope, I called 5 different stores and all sold out and don't know when they're getting more in. I read some article about a guy who bought 3, and sold 2 on ebay for over $600. So he ends up making a nice little profit of $300 for waiting in line overnight. Is it worth it? Simple economics really. Say this guy makes at his job $20 and hour. He waits in line for say 10 hours. His opportunity cost would then be $200. So in actuality he's only making $100. But if he did it on a much larger scale, saying buying 10 or more, then he really could make a nice profit.

------------------

-Cobra Kai

-Kobe Bryant

loatar Guest
    I see the MBA courses have paid off. I just got out of economics last semester myself. About a 1 1/2 away from my MBA

------------------
    [list=a][*]MY current system[*]ASUS CusL2 MB[*]Celeron 2 566@766[*]128mb pc1000 [*]Maxtor diamond Max[*][*]30.7gb[*]HP 8250 4x4x24 CDRW[*]Gerneric 50x CDRom[*]digicom 56k modem[*]diamond sonic s100 [*]voodoo 3 1000[*]HP 3300C scanner[*]Lexmark Z-11[/list=a]

yeah, a couple of my friends got (or are getting) theirs today. mine got one reserved, along with like 6 games
    MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

coolguy, pick it up ASAP. I've heard stories of stores selling preorders just to meet immediate demand. Lothar where are you studying at? I took a couple econ courses at UCI, so I don't claim to be an expert on the topic, but it is simple economics to realize how selling PS2 may not be all that profitable. Still, I'd really like to have one...Oh well, Diablo II is holding my interest anyways so I'll just indulge myself with that.

------------------

-Cobra Kai

-Kobe Bryant

loatar Guest
    I'm going to school at webster, so I can sell out even more by working for the man. My ultimate goal is to open a business building computers. Over the last year through upgrades and just reading I have built three systems. Some have functioned great, like my celeron 366 with the sis 620 chipset, and my intel 815e asus board with my celeron 566@766, but my celeron 533a @800 on my via apollo pro 133a fic board was just crap. I would like to build low cost systems that have ample power to play light games and do internet and small office applications.

------------------
    [list=a][*]MY current system[*]ASUS CusL2 MB[*]Celeron 2 566@766[*]128mb pc1000 [*]Maxtor diamond Max[*][*]30.7gb[*]HP 8250 4x4x24 CDRW[*]Gerneric 50x CDRom[*]digicom 56k modem[*]diamond sonic s100 [*]voodoo 3 1000[*]HP 3300C scanner[*]Lexmark Z-11[/list=a]

loatar Guest
    I'm going to school at webster, so I can sell out even more by working for the man. My ultimate goal is to open a business building computers. Over the last year through upgrades and just reading I have built three systems. Some have functioned great, like my celeron 366 with the sis 620 chipset, and my intel 815e asus board with my celeron 566@766, but my celeron 533a @800 on my via apollo pro 133a fic board was just crap. I would like to build low cost systems that have ample power to play light games and do internet and small office applications.

------------------

Originally posted by coolguy867:
    yeah, a couple of my friends got (or are getting) theirs today. mine got one reserved, along with like 6 games
    lol, i think i kinda miswrote something. when i said "mine got one reserved", i meant one of my friends did. i was too confusing, sorry!

MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

Thread Information