UT General Protection Fault - can't start even in safe mode
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: UT General Protection Fault - can't start even in safe mode

Hybrid View

UT General Protection Fault - can't start even in safe mode

Was running fine until UT froze on me after loading a multiplayer map. So I couldn't Ctrl+Alt+Delete... had to hit reset on my tower. Upon the reboot, Diskdoctor (Norton) found lost clusters and I told it to delete them (like I always do). After, it boots into WIN98SE and I try to start UT again. It pops up this error message:

General protection fault!

History: WWizardDialog::OnBack <- WWizardDialog::Advanced <- WDialog::OnInitDialog <-
    WWizardDialog::OnInitDialog <- WStartupWizard::OnInitDialog <- WM_INITDIALOG <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WDialog: oModal <- ConfigUI <- InitEngine
    I've tried a complete uninstall and reinstall and still no luck. Even starting in safe mode gives me this error. I've tried installing to a different path. I've tried removing any obvious registry entries... all with no luck.

Can anyone help?

Try re-installing windows or at the very least directx.
    Manchester United are crap.

I had an image of my C: so I used Ghost to re-do the OS. All my other files (games, mp3, etc.) are intact so it wasn't a big deal. Didn't have time to re-install UT since it was 1:30am so I'll find out if it was a registry/system folder thing tonight. By the way, I even tried installing into another partition with the same error, so I'm pretty sure it was a registry thing thereafter.

do use a No-CD? what do u have for video? perhaps reinstall the game, then the latest patch befor the first play...

this used to happen to me. if you have the pirated version, it might be bad (like mine). get the iso.

or, the real game, of course...
    MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

My brother (who's now in another state) bought the game and installed it for me on my machine. I'm using the NO-CD for it since he has the CD with him.

Coolguy, can you contact me at rh71el2@yahoo.com ?

Thread Information