Playstation2 vs PC ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation2 vs PC ?

Hybrid View

Playstation2 vs PC ?

Who has a Playstation2 and how do you rate it compared to a PC for game graphics quality and sound ? Is it worth the money or is a PC a better deal ? DD.
    "The enemy of the enemy is the night"

Is something burning?

My opinion:

Nothing matches the sound of a PC with a sound blaster live. If you have a fast processor and decent video card, who needs a playstation2? Personally, I will never buy a console because 99% of the games are idiotic. I simple do NOT play sport or racing games, neither am I interested in watching two characters hit each other on the nose 600 times.

PCs have Internet access, I can chat on ICQ and IRC, do email, surf, and best of all, PLAY NETWORK GAMES! Nothing beats a Friday evening/night with LAN gaming! I also play Everquest a lot, HalfLife, Diablo2, Starcraft, and some Asherons' Call. Not to mention Unreal Tournement. Who needs that file of junk?

PS2 = fancy electronics + high price x2 = worthless

Playing games at resolutions LOWER than 640x480 is NOT fun. No TV can come close to 1600x1200, and having a refresh rate of 50/60Hz is poor compared to my refreshrate of 120Hz.

IMHO of course

Someone was going to bring this up so it may as well be you digital

Simple answer is, both if you want and PS2 or Dreamcast only if you can't afford to keep up with the significant costs involved buying and keeping a PC "CUTTING" edge .

I personally won't buy a console as they don't interest me, I've played friends Dreamcasts and the thing that strikes me most is "this game could look good on my PC". I've also built a couple of PC's recently for friends that own Dreamcasts after letting them play with my PC.

The only thing that is burning is my finger tips and I'm giving them a rest now but seriously, some one is buying PS 2 and is obviously happy with them, hopefully some one who has one can put their point of view across within this topic. DD.
    "The enemy of the enemy is the night"

Well first things first. The Playstation 2
    isn't even out yet except in Japan. Second
    the PS2 and DC will both have network play
    within a few months. Consoles are seemingly
    evolving from PCs. They are becoming more
    and more like computers. Personally though
    I still like PC games more. Just a weird
    preference I have.

pc, more expensive,but there r more games, better games, and plus, u can do lots of other stuff with a pc that u can't do with ps2

PS2 AIN'T GOT NO MOUSE!!!

I can't play FPS or RTS w/o a mouse, now can I?
    P3 700e FCPGA @ 966Mhz w/ Alpha PAL35t
    ASUS CUV4X
    ElanVital T-10ab Case
    KingMax PC150 cas2 HSDRAM
    IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB ATA100
    Asus v7700 Geforce2 GTS 32MB Pure
    SB Live! Value
    ViewSonic PF790 19"
    Klipsch Pro-Media v.2-400
    Netgear FA310TX 100mbps NIC
    MS InteliMouse Epxlorer
    MS Internet Keyboard PRO

Well there more extras for gaming on PC like mods/bots etc. for FPS games lyke Q3, UT etc. Add-ons for games.....easier to cheat and a great thing is u can do more than one thing at a time on PC. PS games are expensive compared to PC games.
    EPOX EP9NPA+
    AMD 64 3000+
    2x 512mb Samsung DDR 400
    80gb Western Digital
    Benq DvD Writer
    LG Combo
    19" Mag Innovision CRT
    GeForce 6600GT
    Windows XP Pro SP1

The only reason for buying the PS2 would be if you absolutely must have the console only games that you know will not come out on PC... I am a HUGE fan of Tekken and some others but I don't think I'll be spendin the 300+ for it... (that can buy some good hardware for pc! ... some of my favorite games that originated from console like Resident Evil have starting coming out for pc, but then I started noticing that the PC already had some better games out there... just my opinion
    Just your friendly neighborhood DrunkN_MastR

PS2 is already outdated !
    I only support two teams. Wales and everyone else England plays
    ICQ# 91149414
    AIM: AdrenelinY2K1

ok A computer has up to 2048x1536 in resolution ...... a TV has up to 800x600 (hdtv=$10000)

A Dreamcast has much better graphics than a PSX 2 easily. (yes I have played both)

PC has more expandability than a PSX 2 or any other console. yes the PSX2 is cheaper but the PC will always have better sound and power... I will never buy another console after my PSX...

also:
    X-Box=CRAP! (overrated)
    PSX2=CRAP! (overrated)

Now you've done it Procede. I have a Japanese PS2 and a DC and I have to admit you are right. The DC graphics are better than the PS2 so far. Much cleaner graphics (yes Sony fans, all that PSX fog is making its return on the PS2) But remember that DC software is in its 2nd generation.

Still, the PS2 is DEFINATELY not the Dreamcast killer some thought it would be.

You know what really sucks, every time I play Ridge Racer 4 I remember all the screen shots we all saw. Those were not in game shots, they were in game cinemas, using the DVD capabilities. So basically they were DVD movies.

All the hype was just a big time screw.

Dave
    i7 2600k @ 4.6 ghz by Turbo multi - MSI Z68A-GD65-G3 - 8 gig GSkill Ripjaws @ 1600 8-8-8-24 - Corsair H100 Closed loop water cooling - 2 XFX 6870 DD Crossfire - 256 gig Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe and 250 Gig WD Blue Series - PCP&C Turbocool 850 SSI

I am so happy people are coming to their senses:

Adrenelin, you stated a great truth this day. We shall remember you.

Proceed, you also stated a great fact this day. We shall remember you too.

I'd have to agree with Legionary.

Most of the games for consoles are pathetic. The console market is more child-based therefor it produces a lot of "bad" games in my view.

As of now, you can't upgrade a console (well, technicaly you can, but it's expensive and drastic). A PC is highly upgradeable and offers more flexability. You also have the internet sitting infront of you which allows you to download mods, skins, and ect. Most importantly, you can play online with people easily.

It seems as though no matter how far the console market goes, PCs always have the edge.

[i]On a graphics and benchmark comparison on the same game between the Dreamcast and a PC w/ a GeForce 256, P3-600 or 700 (can't remember) was taken on a show called The Screen Savers (yeah... I watch ZDTV, I'm lame ). The PC won by a pretty large margin in both aspects <just for an example

------------------
    Please support the diminishing Doom2 revolution by participating in the Internet Deathmatch community. csDoom:
    http://csdoom.sourceforge.net/eng.html
    -Need to Play: Doom2.wad v1.9 + csDoom
    Please support the diminishing Doom2 revolution by participating in the Internet Deathmatch community. csDoom:
    http://csdoom.sourceforge.net/eng.html
    -Need to Play: Doom2.wad v1.9 + csDoom

You guys are freakin' ridiculous. YOU NEED BOTH!

Unless you don't have any freinds, in that case stick w/ your PC only. There's nothing better than a 2 vs. 2 Football, Basketball, Hockey game played in your living room drinking beer with a few freinds. I like internet gaming too especially because I have freinds in many areas of the country. I would much rather have them over at my house if it was possible.

You know what it sucks to try and get four guys gathered around a 19" monitor on a desk, especially when there's very few games that even support 2 players on one computer.

What else are consoles good for?

They are cheaper or equivalent in cost to a new damn videocard for one. Can't upgrade them? Who the hell cares when they cost less than a GeForce2?

Fighting games. What's the best fighting game on the PC? Never mind, cause THEY ALL SUCK!

The best RPG's are on the consoles too. There's a few good ones on the PC, but they are all playing catchup to the likes of the Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Chrono Trigger.

How about light gun games? Which platform has better ones? Let me rephrase that to "NAME A LIGHTGUN GAME ON THE PC WHY DON"T YOU". Time Crisis, Point Blank, and House of the Dead are a blast to play.

Here's another one "Tony Hawk Pro Skater". That games is a blast! I can play it all day and it's a 5+ year old Playstation platform. You just can't get that game or anything like it for the PC.

How about gamepads? The Playstation Dual Shock gamepad outclasses every PC gamepad hands down. Microsoft Sidewinder pales in comparison. I have a Gravis Exterminator Analog and I would throw it right in the trash if my Playstation controller would work on my PC.

Here's another one: My 32" T.V. sure is nice when your hanging out gaming with some freinds to relax around a big old screen like that. How much are 32" computer monitors? I haven't checked lately.

How about those patches? You know how many patches I've downloaded for console games? Guess.

That's because the games are usually DONE, FINISHED, COMPLETE, when you hand over the money for them. there's one huge list of PC games that hit storeshelves not even playable. You have to download a patch as soon as you bring it home.

I could go on, but I think I've made the point that there's definately good reasons for owning both.

Thread Information