Any advice on building a new gaming pc?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice on building a new gaming pc?

Hybrid View

Any advice on building a new gaming pc?

Hi all, I'm putting together a new system and I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on the components.

Duron 650
    Asus A7V
    Sony 17" E200
    Hyundai PC-133 128MB
    Hercules 3D Prophet II MX or Voodoo 3 2000 AGP

Those are all the new components I'm thinking of getting. I'm going to use my old HDD, however its a Seagate 8.62GB 54000RPM drive and I'm curious as to whether this will hamper perforamnce. I also have a SoundBlaster 128 PCI Sound Card,Sony CDU4811 CDROM drive, Tekram DC315 SCSI Card and a Panasonic 7502b CDRW which I also plan to use in the new machine.

Anyway this system is mainly intended for gaming under win98, using Office and also running Linux. What I basically want to know is there anything listed here that will slow down performance, or that will make the system out of date fairly shortly? Any ideas as to how compatible this hardware is to run Linux under? I'm really behind in the video card department as I havent upgraded in years although I've tried to read up on it lately. Will the MX play older games such as the original Quake, I've read articles here I think which tend to suggest its fairly incompatible.
    Anyway thanks for any suggestions.

That's almost exactly what I bought 2 weeks ago:

Asus A7V
    Duron 650 @ 850
    128mb PC133 SDRAM (Micron cas2)
    Creative SB PCI128
    Creative TNT2 oc'd 40% past spec
    Digiview 17" (ugh)
    @home cable modem

Hard drive & CD speed shouldn't matter much, except at changing maps. With this setup, I'm running Quake3 WFA at 1024x768x32 at usually 70-80fps! With a faster card, you'll be doing even better. My PII-400 was apparently the bottleneck to my old system, as benchmarks on the TNT2 greatly improved with a Duron@850. If anything's going to slow you down, it's either the 17" monitor, or simple lack of more HDD space. a 21" monitor will run over $600, but a 30gb drive is just $100 anymore Another 128mb RAM will help, too. If you have problems with the old quake in hardware accell, just run in software mode- remember, Quake was designed for the 486/66, hehe
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Scrap the GeForce MX... the SDR's are still better than those but you might get better results if you overclock your GPU to insame speeds?
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Agree with Toolbox.....rather try and save up some extra $$$ and get a DDR GeForce. My SDR are realy dragging me at higher res. due to the low memory bandwith of the card.
    EPOX EP9NPA+
    AMD 64 3000+
    2x 512mb Samsung DDR 400
    80gb Western Digital
    Benq DvD Writer
    LG Combo
    19" Mag Innovision CRT
    GeForce 6600GT
    Windows XP Pro SP1

I reckon duron on the kt7 mobo if your a tight budget. athlonoverclcoker can help, this topic is his perfect type of thing.

------------------
    "The More I Discover The Lesser I Know"
    Adrenelin, a.d. 2000
    Adrenelin@Europe.com
    I only support two teams. Wales and everyone else England plays
    ICQ# 91149414
    AIM: AdrenelinY2K1

That seems a pretty good choice there, what's the dpi on that Sony Monitor?, i got a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 210ES and it's great(0.25 dpi). If you fill up most of that hard drive, and get into the slower, later sectors, that could cause some slight slowdowns, but i don't think that's anything much to worry about. I personally think that the MX is a good choice, considering the performance you are getting for the price. With some luck also, using that cpu/mobo combination, 850mhz wouldn't be unreachable, if you plan to overclock.
    Just out of interset how much is all that going to cost you?

------------------
    Athlon 700@800,Abit Ka7, 128mb PC100, 12mb Voodoo 2, 17" Sony Monitor, SB Live.
    Check Out: www.selective-auto.co.uk
    XP @ 2.3Ghz (210xx11)
    NF7-S v2
    1GB PC3500
    Rad 9800pro @ XT
    CM101B
    Hitachi 17" 16ms TFT

Rote CPU speed doesn't matter much on todays games once you get past 500MHz or so. It's the graphics card that's the BIG factor! And even then, it's all about memory. If you can save $50 on a cheap mobo (as opposed to a good overclocker like the A7V or KT7), and sink that money into getting a GeForce2 GTS DDR vice an MX, it'd be worth it.

Besides, with the price of Durons today, it's practically disposable! Upgrade it in a year if ya need to Or, you can always hack the golden bridges to 800/850MHz, even on a multiplier-locked motherboard.

OH! And don't forget to buy a UPS powerful enough to keep your entire system going during a blackout. 650VA should do it, for about $130-250. I mean, who the hell wants to get booted out of a game for a measly power fluctuation? A good 10 minute warning lets you finish out on top of the server, and bow out gracefully, even if the power goes down for good.

I was still online, fragging away in Quake II Weapons Factory last summer an hour before the eye of hurricane Floyd passed directly over my house. They called me "crazy" when I told them why I was leaving the server... but c'mon, all the TV channels were out cos the recieving station had lost power, so what else was I going to do?

Hi again and thanks to those who replied

Ok firstly regarding the monitor the add I have for it says it's 0.24 dpi. I'm a little unsure on the monitor however as I've read in another thread that apparently when the screens white, there is a faint line running across the bottom of the screen. Is this just in certain models? Since its the most expensive component I'm getting and I'm going to be stuck with it for a while, I want to make sure it will do the distance.

Secondly in regards to the Graphics card, I could go for a Asus V6800 for the DDR RAM but I'd really be maxing out my budget on that. Grover I think its going to take some incredible price cutting to get a Gefore 2 on my budget The reason I asked about the Quake compatibility, is because people seem to suggest the Older 3d games don't come out as well on the nVidia based cards as they do on the 3dfx, but at the same time the Voodoo 3 2k cant do 32 bit with 16mb? Anyway I guess what I'm asking is how well does a Prophet MX II or V6800 handle older games that seem to be built for glide/3dfx? (If I'm way off on this let me know, i'm going on what I've read)

I do plan to overclock the cpu, however this will be my first attempt (first AMD chip also), so I could chicken out if I come to the conclusion I have no idea what I'm doing The mobo is pretty expensive so If I did cut the cost there, would definitely assist in a faster video card.

Athlon, the total cost of the system with a case and 3D Prophet II MX 32mb comes out at around $1755 Australian, from the prices I've seen on the net I think its around $825 US. With a V6800 (Deluxe) it's around $1980 AUS, or finally if I use a Voodoo 3 2k I can grab it all for $1600 Aus.

P.S. Grover, I'll have to look into getting my PC natural disaster proof

Yeah all Sony Trinitron monitors got 2 faint lines going across the screen (you can only see them if you look for them!) The image quality on Sony trinitons is fantastic though, and is worth getting one, despite the 2 lines (IMO).

------------------
    Athlon 700@800,Abit Ka7, 128mb PC100, 12mb Voodoo 2, 17" Sony Monitor, SB Live.
    Check Out: www.selective-auto.co.uk
    XP @ 2.3Ghz (210xx11)
    NF7-S v2
    1GB PC3500
    Rad 9800pro @ XT
    CM101B
    Hitachi 17" 16ms TFT

Personally, I wouldn't skimp on the motherboard, especially if you are thinking about over clocking. Think of it as the foundation of your system, you might want to build on it later. In six months to a year, the 1gig processors will be affordable if you want to upgrade, so you'll be using that mobo for a while. For compatiblity, stability, and the abilitly to run glide games and older 3d games, the voodoo is the way to go. Quake in software sucks.

[troll deleted, heh] I disagree- IMHO, nvidia is the better choice for a video card as of Sept 2000.

CPU speed vs. graphics card speed depends on
    the game. Unreal Tournament uses all the
    CPU and all the graphics card you can throw
    at it. I got a HUGE boost in framerates by
    upgrading my TNT to a GeForce 2 GTS, and
    then doubled my framerate by upgrading a
    PII 400Mhz to a Tbird 900Mhz. I know,
    a 3dfx card would have been better for UT
    but I think Nvidia has a better future
    (and better drivers).

If you are going to run an Athlon FCPGA
    processor make sure to get a kick-*** cooler,
    otherwise you will be hurting.

whatever you do, dont get the v3 for your system, it will be the biggest and worst bottleneck for those games. if you cant fork out the money, the geforce mx isnt a bad choice, you can always overclock it to make it go faster, but if you can stomach it, go for a geforce ddr. you will see a jump in framerates with the ddr.

------------------
    Visit my website!
    look for me on AIM as gosanjose or on ICQ as #46997155

Ok thanks again for the replies. I'm certain I'll go with the ram,monitor,mobo,cpu listed and I'll probably go with the Asus v6800 DDR (pure). It would be nice to have backwards glide support but I don't have the money for a Voodoo5. The Voodoo4 could be interesting but I havent seen or really heard much about them, anyone have any comments on them? 3DFX does sound like a good idea for glide/linux support, but not sure If I want to spend money on a card that is deemed outdated.

Finally does anyone have any case/power supply/fan recommendations for this type of system? If it's going to cost a fortune for these components, I could have to drop back to a prophet II MX.
    Anyway thanks again

Thread Information