Problem installing brood war in win 98
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Problem installing brood war in win 98

Problem installing brood war in win 98

I cant play brood war in my new pc, In my old win95/32RAM/Pentium100/video4/pc had no problem installing and playing starcraft
    and brood war.

I buy a new win98/128RAM/Celeron500/video8/pc and I can install and play starcraft, then I install broodwar without problem, but when I try to play an error message appers saying that could not find a file and the bw cd may not be in, but it is.

I know that the cd is ok because I installed in another computer and worked, any idea?

What is your CDROM? It may be that BW tries to check the CD and can't find it because your CDROM does not support a certain function.

But how do I know if my cdrom does not support certain function and why, I mean It's a new machine and the game it's not old.

Just make sure the BW extracts/install into the same folders as the SC. Install SC without any patches, then install BW and apply the required patches.
    Intel Duron 866 mhz
    Abit KT7 Raid
    TNT Ultra 64 mb
    64 mb Ram
    WD 4.3 gb HD
    Logitech Explorer
    19" Sony TFT display
    56K Cable Modem
    Abit Floppy
    Iomega Keyboard
    [b] Meet the ladies
    12X CDROM
    14.4 DVD

Windows 95 ME

I've done that several times, installing starcraft and then broowd war and then the patches.

I think the problem is the win98 because I installed in anothe pc using win 95 and works.

Maybe is the win98 ver:
    Sec edition 4.10.2222 A

It is not Windows. Period. Try enabling DMA in the Control Panel -> System -> Devices -> CDROM and restart your computer. Did it accept your key? What is the exact message you get when you start BroodWars? Does Starcraft work fine?

I've already tried enabling DMA, that was the only thing that I founded in the blizzard page and also enable sincroinize data transfer, but didnt work.

And I dont have the exact message here but it is simple: "a file wasnt found and de bw cd may no be in, make sure the cd is in and bla bla bla."

The starcraft works fine, I've tried to load the game whit the starcraft cd, get in and the screen asking if I want to play sc or bw appears, I insert the brood war cd, choose play bw and a message saying insert bw cd appears.

Sync data transfer is for SCSI only. I don't know what your problem is. BW works fine on my ATAPI NEC 24X and Hitachi GD-500 6X DVD.

Are you saying you use the Starcraft CD in the CDrom and when it gets to the choice of play SC or BW, you remove the CD and put in the BW CD and continue? If you installed both to your hard drive (C:Windows/ProgramFiles/) then you can just put the BW CD in the CDrom from the start unless you are going to run original SC. Maybe switching the CD's is causing it to think there is nothing in the CDrom.

[This message has been edited by ghouldini (edited 09-04-2000).]

No, that was my second choice, the original error message that I post was from windows, and after many tries and possibly solutions that failed I tried to run it that way whit the sc cd and then switching the cds when the game ask to play sc or bw. If I chosse sc I can play with the sc cd, but if switch cds and chosse bw the message is "insert the bw cd" and its in.

Blizzard support finaly answer me and they say that there is the same problem with Diablo II, and they give me this link with a list of steps to try solve the problem.
    http://www.blizzard.com/support/diab...ation/cd.shtml

There are some steps that I havent tried yet because of time, but the easy ones havent
    work at all.

Thread Information