Q2 in OGL on Compaq Laptop
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Q2 in OGL on Compaq Laptop

Q2 in OGL on Compaq Laptop

A friend of mine has a fairly new Compaq Presario Laptop with a 475 AMD and a Trident Cyberblade video chip, with I think 8 megs of system memory allocated to the chip. When we first installed Q2 it ran fine in OpenGL, but now it won't, we can only get software rendering. It tries to run in OGL, but during start up we get a few "failed to load" errors and then it stops. It's been a while, but he thinks the problem showed up after he installed Unreal, which runs fine in D3D, (I think), but is so slow in OGL it's unplayable, but I don't see any connection so it may just be coincidence. I'm stumped, any ideas?

The Unreal setup may have put or replaced an opengl32.dll in the windows\system directory.
    Search for all opengl32.dll in windows directory and subdirectories and rename or delete it.

------------------
    I like beers. Cheers!

Good suggestion, but it didn't work. Any other ideas? If it helps at all, the first error message when the game fails is something like "GLinit failure".

[This message has been edited by Spanker (edited 08-28-2000).]

Update: Your suggestion did work, sort of. He removed the opengl32dll from windows, but there was one in his QuakeII directory too. After I removed that one but left the one in windows system, Quake was able to use the ref_gl.dll, which seems to look for the windows opengl32.dll. The game started and ran in open gl with hardware accelleration, but the game ran impossibly slow, like one frame every 30 seconds or so. After I removed the window system opengl32.dll as well,the game reverted to software and said something like "failure to find opengl32.dll" I feel like we're getting closer, but not there yet. Help!

Try to reinstall DirectX 7, also try to extract the original opengl32.dll from the Win cab files. Start->Run sfc
    Also get the latest drivers for the Trident chip.

Ok, are you saying that I should copy the opengl32.dll from the cab files and place it in the windows system directory where the other opengl32.dll was? You're thinking that the one in the windows system directory was modified I'm guessing? I may try the DX7 update and the driver update, but remember this was running fine before without DX7 or updated drivers so I don't think that's the problem. Bye the way, thanks for your efforts, greatly appreciated

Happened to me with Quake 3 so I re-installed it and GLsetup. Have you tried GLsetp, it should fix the problem.
    I only support two teams. Wales and everyone else England plays
    ICQ# 91149414
    AIM: AdrenelinY2K1

Adrenelin
    GLSetup doesn't support the Trident chip!

It worked! I copied my opengl32 to his system and my ref_gl to his Q2 directory and he's back in buisness. I guess his opengl32 was changed, and his ref_gl dissapeared completely for some reason. Thanks again for the help.

Great!

Thread Information