Games Server Specs
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Games Server Specs

Hybrid View

Games Server Specs

What would you recommend for specs of a decent games server. Now i don't want one that is top of the range, as money is an issue. I am considering making one up, then getting a decent hub and hosting network games nights in town here.
    But i have no idea how grunty, or indeed not grunty a game server needs to be. I realise a lot of ram is needed and a decent network card. But what about the rest. Also, would i really need a server? Couldn't one of the players host the game? I'm pretty sure its possible, but would probably slow things down on that computer, possibly the network.
    Games i'm thinking of are things like Diablo 2, UT, HL, Q3A (maybe), AOEx stuff like that. Possibly FS2000.
    Any ideas would be appreciated, but i'd like to keep it realistic. i don't think i could afford to buy a Pentium x 1.4 gigahertz cpu and 600 megs of ram.
    BW

[This message has been edited by But_Why (edited 08-31-2000).]

Well... you're going to need something along the lines of a PentiumIV 1.4gHz with at least 640-768Mb of RDRAM and a OC3 connection and... oh-- nevermind, sorry!

[This message has been edited by Baloneyflaps (edited 08-31-2000).]

Yup, not quite what i was looking for
    BW

The server i am thinking of will only be used in Networks, not as an online server (to start with anyway).
    Does this help?
    BW

i have an old HP Vectra PII @ 300 with onboard 4mb Cirrus vid, no sound, 2.5gb Quantum (dma33 im sure), 256mb simms, and a 10/100 D-Link. it was used to server my games (dedicated), and for my multilinked internut connect on Win2k no less. if you dont mind a reasonable pauses between maps, something similar or not too much better SHOULD work just damn slick on most of what u play.

Sweet! i have a Celeron 400 at home, that i'm sure i can use. Though it'd need more ram, as its only got 64 megs.
    BW

Sweet! i have a Celeron 400 at home, that i'm sure i can use. Though it'd need more ram, as its only got 64 megs.
    BW

I have a dual celeron 466 with 256 ram and it works just fine as an online gaming server

Does it need to have NT Server/win2k server/Linux on it or will any old os work?

Thread Information