Frame Rates
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Frame Rates

Frame Rates

Whats the deal with frame rates? I've read messages where people have said things like 'Im ONLY getting 40fps for this game'. And I've read things saying that a 75hz monitor isn't enough for some people. Can't the human eye only catch 30fps anyway? Or am I wrong?

2D: With bright backgounds 75 Hz still may put strain on your eyes, 85 Hz is way better.
    3D: If you want the FPS not to drop below 30 in every situation, your average FPS has to be somewhat like 50 Hz +. That's what people mean, the average FPS you need to get smooth gameplay even in action-packed moments.

------------------
    I am the Spirit that denies!

I read a while back that the human eye can only catch up to 36 frames per second, anything after that it won't. I've heard this a couple of times actually since then. I personally don't know, all i know is i can't really see a difference over 30 fps when i play a game. I can see a difference between say 20 fps and 30 fps.

Well I have a program on my computer (at least I used to) that tested this very theory. I could easily distinguish between 30fps and 60. I could even distinguish between 60 and 80. After about 80fps or so, I could barely tell a difference, maybe because of my monitor.
    If pro is the opposite of con, what's the opposite of progress?

I can definitely tell the difference between 30 and 60. Highest I beleieve I got on a game was 70. It took a little while to notice I admit but you do get a feel for these things.

I beg you to read this article, it will answer your questions completely.
    http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_1.html

The conclusion states that 60FPS and over is fluid and 72 is the most we can see. Anything over 72 is overkill. Check it out, it's very interesting.
    Please support the diminishing Doom2 revolution by participating in the Internet Deathmatch community. csDoom:
    http://csdoom.sourceforge.net/eng.html
    -Need to Play: Doom2.wad v1.9 + csDoom

Gigahert

That is a good explaination and I think I'll save that as this cherry comes up from time to time, and it is basically what I always try to get across.

The only thing I'm not 100% convinced by is the conclusion that the human eye can only see upto 72fps. If I run a 100hz vertical refresh and get a fps of around 100 to 120 ish most of the time in Q3, (and I admit it will dip below 72 very occasionally) then set Vsync to 75hz I can percieve a definate smoothness difference overall.

It may have something to do with the way vsync works or the fact I have 20/20 vision and I'm a graphics junkie

Thread Information