Windows ME
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Windows ME

Windows ME

Anyone having compability problems with any games or other software ?

Thinking of getting the swedish version once it is available, but not if I get to much problems such as above.

Should not be any compability issues here but one never knows...
    T-bird 1Ghz, 256Mb Ram, Prophet 2MX, Hercules Game Theatre XP, ECS K7VZA Mobo. Having Fun!!!

It is really Win 98 3rd edition and there is not that much usefully new in it. I might try it when it has been out a while but I really don't like this "non Dos" route Microsoft is taking. They seem to be making the OS "safe" for the average user in the same way we have been almost universally forced to have front wheel drive cars nowadays when you buy anything new other than a luxury car...... more "idiot" proof

I've understood that part, what I'm wondering is if they made it so "idiot proof" that "badly" or "incorrect" written applications become incompatible or in need of patches.
    T-bird 1Ghz, 256Mb Ram, Prophet 2MX, Hercules Game Theatre XP, ECS K7VZA Mobo. Having Fun!!!

No, all of the software that work on Windows 98 will work in Windows ME. I have ran all of my games and applications fine in Windows ME. The only problem that I had was the scandisk feature of Norton Utilities would freeze the computer.

Sounds good, I will try it out as soon as Microsoft starts selling it here in Sweden (Swedish version).

Originally posted by BladeRunner:
    ...but I really don't like this "non Dos" route Microsoft is taking.
    Why? Who needs DOS? I mean, honestly!

until they make a home windows version that is stable, i prefer to have dos around so i can take the back door to fix win if i have to, had to use dos the other day to fix win on a laptop in order to get win and the drives working.

i thought for a couple of weeks winme was good now i'm seeing more problems come up that i didn't have with 98, i definitly have second thoughts about winme and wouldn't put it on my own system. been using it on 3 different types of machines the bugs are surfacing, printing, peer to peer network, etc.

[This message has been edited by rangeral (edited 08-22-2000).]

The Non-Dos thing can be easily by-passed by keeping a dos start-up disk around.

Getting rid of DOS was so they wouldn't have a 16/32bit hybrid anymore. This increases stability.
    I have it, and believe me, I'll never go back.
    Learn how to sell on eBay at www.PowerSellerPros.com

Thread Information