Matrox G200
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Matrox G200

Hybrid View

Matrox G200

Matrox G200: Is it good? whats it worth?
    Account No Longer Used

Well, the G200 certainly isn't a great card for gaming... in fact it's quite bad unless you get the latest Matrox OpenGL ICD, and even then it certainly won't begin to compete with anything even resembling a state-of-the-art video card...

In a good system with the right drivers, the G200 is a capable game card at 640x480 and perhaps 800x600 depending on the game and the settings...

It isn't worth more than about $50 USD now...

The G200 is however a hardy, stable card, but not a good choice now for gaming...

To my understanding; Quake 3 Arena is the most 3D demanding game on the market today. I want to be able to run it in 640x480x16bit, will the G200 do the job? I'm not a heavy gamer, I just want something decent.
    Account No Longer Used

Matrox makes a damn fine card. im currerntly using a G400 Max, and have yet to NOT be able to run a game in at least 1024x. i have seen the G200's perform, and YES on Q3. as i recall the rez was set to 800x, and looked DAMN good. again, its out-dated, and acquiring the latest drivers is manditory. if your looking for a cheap vid card, and are conserned about the G200, perhaps consider a V3 2000.

oh, and to answer you on what its worth, check pricewatch.

The G200 should be more than adequate to run Q3 at 640x480, and I would guess it should be able to do it in 32 bit mode as well.

I used a Matrox G200 for a lot of gaming up until about 6 months ago... I played lots of first person shooters with it. I've since upgraded to a GeForce DDR and a GeForceII GTS... but my Matrox was a very reliable card with unbeatable visual quality and I would say I certainly got my money's worth out of it.

Thread Information